In response to FKI
No, I agree. So far it's a colossal failure and it reflects how naive I am.
In response to Bravo1
Collossal failure is the wrong outlook to take anytime soon in my opinion. FKI makes some solid points, but all that says is how to make it far greater.

I've watched this thread a lot, so I know plenty about Lux and what you have so far that you can show off. So that being said, I would say keep the scenes showing the bosses, the tight space crawling, the saving/bot modifying and then it's time for the new stuff to address FKI's commentary...

I would slip in a scene showing some of the early dialogue to hint at the fact there's a bit of story around. Then I'd throw in something showing the latest enemy that utilizes the bombs, as well as one showing the armored insect. Maybe slip in the other enemies too if you like, but those two are essential.

Beyond that I think I remember seeing one of the upgrades in a gif? So that could be one, and then I think that covers pretty much everything.

Just my ideas, though. You were probably thinking similar or better, but hey just stay positive! It's a better starting point for the video than I'd of been able to do for my games.
shouldve hit me up for the trailer
In response to Toddab503
Toddab503 wrote:
Collossal failure is the wrong outlook to take anytime soon in my opinion. FKI makes some solid points, but all that says is how to make it far greater.

I've watched this thread a lot, so I know plenty about Lux and what you have so far that you can show off. So that being said, I would say keep the scenes showing the bosses, the tight space crawling, the saving/bot modifying and then it's time for the new stuff to address FKI's commentary...

I would slip in a scene showing some of the early dialogue to hint at the fact there's a bit of story around. Then I'd throw in something showing the latest enemy that utilizes the bombs, as well as one showing the armored insect. Maybe slip in the other enemies too if you like, but those two are essential.

Beyond that I think I remember seeing one of the upgrades in a gif? So that could be one, and then I think that covers pretty much everything.

Just my ideas, though. You were probably thinking similar or better, but hey just stay positive! It's a better starting point for the video than I'd of been able to do for my games.

Very much this!

I wouldn't say it's a colossal failure in the least. I can tell Lux is something you put your heart in, and for that reason you cannot fail, only grow.

Keep on truckin' and learn from your experience. Retreat if necessary and analyze your past moves so that your next one is your best one -- but by no means become discouraged, as that is true failure.
Lux pretty unique to me from what I've seen in this thread for past few months.
your tl;dr was the exact same amount of sentences as the paragraph above it.
Well, I don't want to have a gimmick in the game. I feel like it's a crutch, but at the same time I do understand that it needs to be unique. I'm still trying to discover what that's going to be, but I have some ideas floating around. Nothing I'd call a gimmick, but definitely something to set it apart.
Its a rover that explores a artificial world(?) How about taking focus away from combat and more towards exploration and discovery. Im thinking games like ori and the blind forest, shadow of the collosus etc. Atleast thats the vibe im getting from lux.
Sorry for the double post my phone isnt allowing me to edit my previous post!

Ohh you should also explore different tools for your little rover. I remember you said it was sent to that plant to diacover life or Something? Anyway, im sure a scientific super adanced rover isnt only going to be armed with various blasters. Where are his tools of science and discovery?
Lux in now on Greenlight! (From the greenlight page)

I'm guessing that should have been 'is'.

I like the trailer, though I do agree it still needs something to really catch peoples attention. (And more importantly, their dollars)
Fixed the typo.

Something I was going to try out was a mechanic which you had to scan enemies in order to figure out their weaknesses and also get drops to happen from them.

...then I realized it's literally the scan visor from Metroid Prime series and felt I couldn't do it in good conscience.

Perhaps I should add it as well as other mechanics, because scanning and learning about the world is one of the whole reasons the robot is there.
Honestly, I'd make the game very unforgiving to people trying to just bum rush through it. Giving rewards for exploration that makes other parts of the game marginally easier. Not only does this actively encourage people to explore in search of helpful items and upgrades that will help them along their journey, but you can insert hints and clues about come details on the civilization that exists or existed there at some point, sucking the players into the lore using visual aid rather than blunt exposition.

While that's a pretty tricky slope to climb, I'd think it would make the experience overall much more engaging.
Throwing in some story elements in various corners of the world could add a lot to the atmosphere. It can be something as simple as an old artifact or a bit of graffiti.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Throwing in some story elements in various corners of the world could add a lot to the atmosphere. It can be something as simple as an old artifact or a bit of graffiti.

Or maybe have an explanation behind the creeper face :D.

Sound check! One two! Our sound guy is getting to work on breaking the boring silence in LoF
Okay so on the Lux topic. Since you're already dealing with exploring an artificial world, what if you actually discover it's dying too? and/or for whatever reason you need to perform actions to help save or preserve it? Oh, but also maybe that's not a requirement! Maybe the game can end two different ways, one being without, and one being if you do discover and do that. You could do some nice nods toward the condition of Earth in real life this way, too.

I think leaning toward not only researching, but developing, and/or influencing/preserving the world is a solid way to help differ from Metroid.

And now for LoF. Nice sound effect. Music and sound effects add a ton to a game, so glad to see that coming up.
Feels like an eternity I haven't been on BYOND. University and work took all my time :(
Now that I'm done with summer class, I came back in hope to start a new project and decided that instead of starting something new, I should first finish what I started so here's how far I got with development and I hope this time I can release this project! :p

I completely re-did the UI and polished everything. Here's a sneakpeak of the new UI, Zoom-in with mouse-wheel and some fire skills.

For those interested, we host public servers up most of the time and we take game down when we're doing some major updates. More info on our forum: http://www.s15.zetaboards.com/Shinobi_Online/index/

Oh and one last thing: Land of Fire and Lux looks amaaaazing! I wanted to see what everyone was up to and I'm amazed at the quality of BYOND's projects now!! Keep it up! :)
In response to Kidpaddle45
If wind is effecting your world, it should not just effect one type of tree, the same way, constantly. I'd suggest either making that one tree stationary, or making all bushes, trees, etc. be effected by wind. Also, take into account that wind shouldn't effect individual tree types the same way every time.

As for the fire effects, take a look at what LOF has been doing for inspiration. BYOND has a hell of a lot new features which can help you create cool spell effeclots... .. And that second flame effect could use some re-positioning, it looks like a flame fart to me.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
Thanks!

I'll probably end up making a Greenlight page for it very soon.

In the meantime, I went and updated the trailer, the updated link is in the original post for it.

Not much changed, just some fade cues and the final screen removing the mention of the demo (so I could release the video early)

Edit: Greenlight page is up! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ filedetails/?id=714871681

Voted yes because I was genuinely impressed. I found the gameplay footage much more interesting than the actual trailer itself because it gives me some knowledge on what's going on behind the scenes with BYOND's engine such as using map instances (Loading...). The sounds also seem like they weren't just generated off of SFXR which is always a plus.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
No, I agree. So far it's a colossal failure and it reflects how naive I am.

I apologize if I played a part in how you're feeling right now man. I thought your trailer looked great when I made my last comment, and I still do. I do also agree with the rest of the community that this is not a colossal failure though.

There are quiet a bit of critters & features not shown within your trailer, and like the community said, it may be a good idea to include some more of that. I myself, liked the way it played out: It went from exploration and showcasing areas to action based scenes. And I can dig that.

I think taking the communities pointers and editing the trailer could make the game look more appealing, but I'd also suggest showcasing another play through or completely dropping the current playthrough on the greenlight page. I've seen a fair share of Lux, and that video doesn't sum up how nearly cool it can get. In my opinion. I think the Factory area can showcase a much cooler playthrough.

Edit: I also will be shouting from the twitter rooftops about your trailer on greenlight & obviously voted yes as well. :)
Page: 1 2 3 ... 208 209 210 211 212 ... 349 350 351