BYOND's rendering code is shit. There's not much more to be said than that. We're all doing things the engine was never meant to do. The engine was made for 13x13 viewports running on 1024x768 resolutions max.
In response to Zecronious
And the computers that sent us to the moon could probably only've rendered Atari-level graphics at best. This isn't a very good comparison.
I guess Yut Put also has to fix their inefficient code, according to you?

Uhh, yes actually, and he did, a lot.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:

[citation needed]

I can speak for this a bit because I found and played with a lot of it to find solutions.

The vast, vast majority of Epoch's general performance problems were not because of his code, but because of the way that the world was being rendered.

Much of the framerate problems on low-end machines was due to the fact that every tile had 2-3 overlays/underlays and the unique appearance count was sky high. There was a lot of overdraw and tons of microlayering.

I didn't manage to fix the majority of the problems, but it all basically boils down to the fact that BYOND's rendering code is utter trash and we don't have any decent tools for figuring out what the biggest impact is. We can't detect even what the actual framerate the client is rendering at, what portions of the render loop are hanging, or anything. BYOND lacks client-side diagnostic tools to do any of this optimization so it took my and Lummox's best efforts to figure out where things were going wrong.

When we looked at the impact that Epoch's code was having on performance, we were literally talking less than 5% of the CPU budget being spent per frame. So why was the game lagging then?

The game was lagging because of internal code beyond our control. Ultimately, I'm not saying that the engine isn't worth working in. I'm saying that the engine needs a lot of TLC from experienced hands with lots of time and knowledge.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:

And even so their game still requires 2.4ghz minimum. That's my point.

There's only so much you can do with BYOND.
In response to Ter13
Adding more client-side diagnostic tools is on my list and is actually a pretty high-priority goal for 511. I think it's a good idea to be able to get good time estimates on what various parts of the map-drawing code take.
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:

My eyes couldn't keep up, what is this exactly :D?
Yut programs pretty inefficiently to be honest.
In response to Vegeta ssjj2
Haha, it's counter attacking of an incoming melee attack. (Notice the "Countered!" text that shows up.) I did notice an issue where the counter attack animation doesn't play. Maybe that would have helped.
anime stuff
Kozuma3 wrote:
Yut programs pretty inefficiently to be honest.

Only somewhat true, but he's learned a lot since Epic: Legend. I'd say programming-wise, you and he are on a similar level with him having an edge on overall understanding.

The mistakes that Yut was making that were costing him performance though had nothing to do with grunt processing time, rather, it was inducing client-side problems inherent to the engine that nobody, including myself or Lummox were at all aware of until we did some serious diagnostics.

Smugly dismissing that is just you overstating your own abilities. --Not wanting to start a fight, but you know, you are being a dick again.
My eyes couldn't keep up, what is this exactly :D?

In the fight between goku and cell there came a point where they kept teleporting behind each other as a counter attack and after 3 minutes of trying that they realized that it wasnt working

#reasonswhyidontlikedbz
Menu concept

also picking skills system.

New enemy, also playing with a controller feels AMAZING.
In response to Marekssj3
Marekssj3 wrote:
Menu concept

What is it that you're making? :D Also there's a typo in there "....witch..." I believe it's suppose to be "...with..." and also I think it should be changed to "Use Mouse to Interact".

In response to FKI
FKI wrote:

For just a moment, I thought the red arrow was a heart, and he was a little Sim showing love... ;P

Such love lol
Page: 1 2 3 ... 218 219 220 221 222 ... 349 350 351