In response to Flame Guardian
the apples are being tossed at me instead rip

In response to Ghost of ET
Ghost of ET wrote:
??HETORDSIE??

I know this one... ok i don't know it pls share :P?

Google search turns up literally just this page... Nobody else has ever used this term :P
Trying to figure out raycasting. Jesus, I have the attention span of a flea on crack...

Modified from this site.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Trying to figure out raycasting. Jesus, I have the attention span of a flea on crack...

Modified from this site.

Edit(auto correct): Nice ! How CPU intensive is your Ray casting system so far?
In response to Kevin208
Hahaha omg thank you. I needed this.

Are they falling from the sky or being tossed from geek tree ?
In response to Flame Guardian
Still fairly intensive, but I haven't done any optimizing at all yet. I'm coding everything out fully while I try and figure out how it works first. Then I'll start adding lookup tables, distance cheats, etc. This is 60fps running 320 rays which uses around 50% cpu at the moment. It will get better. Well, unless 'Shiny thing!' happens...
@Flick:

http://files.byondhome.com/Ter13/PixelBender_src.zip

You can take a look at my approach. ~4800 rays per frame at 60fps plus 4800 appearance churns per frame. ~70% CPU usage on my 3.6ghz machine.
Yut Put, You made that game using BYOND? I didn't know you could make standalone games with BYOND. I think it would be a good idea for them to allow you to buy a standalone license for one project it would really improve developer interest.

PS: Damn you guys are good. I would be proud if I could figure out how to move in a specific direction that a rotated object was facing.
Damn you guys are good. I would be proud if I could figure out how to move in a specific direction that a rotated object was facing.

x motion: cos(facing_angle) * move_speed
y motion: sin(facing_angle) * move_speed

turning motion: facing_angle +=/-= turn_speed; then normalize to 0 to 360
Thank you Ter13!
In response to Zamargo
Zamargo wrote:
Yut Put, You made that game using BYOND? I didn't know you could make standalone games with BYOND. I think it would be a good idea for them to allow you to buy a standalone license for one project it would really improve developer interest.

That's basically how it works, except it's not a paid license, it's an agreement between Lummox and the developer to split profits or something along those lines since the standalone cuts out ad revenue and website visits and removes the need for membership.
Really? I didn't know that was possible. That is nice to know because that makes going into full development on BYOND an option instead of VB6.0 BitBlt, VC++, and Unity2-d if I wanted to develop a full retail game further down the line. YAY!
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
@Flick:

http://files.byondhome.com/Ter13/PixelBender_src.zip

You can take a look at my approach. ~4800 rays per frame at 60fps plus 4800 appearance churns per frame. ~70% CPU usage on my 3.6ghz machine.

runtime error: Division by zero
proc name: main (/proc/main)
source file: PixelBender.dm,162
usr: Flick (/mob)
src: null
usr.loc: the turf (1,1,1) (/turf)
call stack:
main(Flick (/client))

Looks like you need a || NEARZERO in there. (Which is a pretty cool idea. I just offset all my angles by 0.01 so I wouldn't get any zeros :P )
perpWallDist = (mapY - rayPosY + (1 - stepY) / 2) / rayDirY

Runs beautifully. I still need to work my way through the commented code I've been converting before I can really understand yours though :P
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Ghost of ET wrote:
??HETORDSIE??

I know this one... ok i don't know it pls share :P?

Google search turns up literally just this page... Nobody else has ever used this term :P

Now with really ugly walls!

Still running about 50% cpu.
Are you using vertical span scaling or pixel blitting using turfs like I am?
Vertical span scaling (I'm assuming thats what it's called). Took me a little while to figure out how to get my slices to display. The tutorial I was using was javascript using divs with images for everything.

I did at least figure out that you were using little tiny turfs, which is pretty cool :P I think I'm almost ready to try and dig my way through yours again. I'd like to see if I can get ceilings/floors in this first.
  • A few marginal performance improvements.
  • Players that die will now auto-respawn a minute after dying.
  • Enemies that use ranged weapons no longer shoot projectiles in diagonal directions.
  • Improved the Dopple's death scene/animation.
  • The Dopple now drops a maximum of three pieces of loot(not including the Hell's Redeemer).
  • Fixed an oversight that caused explosive enemies to heal instead of hurt.
  • Red Abstracts now only move in cardinal directions(Blue Abstracts will only move diagonal).
  • More progress on the big secret!!

Hopefully I'll be able to update this log with weather effects in a few minutes, too!
Kumorii is probably the only developer i know of that pushes out updates like water,besides yutputgamemaker.exe
Enemies that use ranged weapons no longer shoot projectiles in diagonal directions.

Yessssssssss
Page: 1 2 3 ... 254 255 256 257 258 ... 349 350 351