yutputgamemaker.exe -priority realtime

Finally have weather support done. Had to rewrite my old weather system from Skirmish since it didn't want to play nice with the map instancing Feed uses. It's surprisingly easier on resources than I was expecting so that's good news.

Sometime down the line I'd like to add more weather effects and give them game changing aspects. For example, rain would disable burning debuffs and cut the despawn time for fire hazards in half. BUT that's for later down the road. I have a lot more pressing features to get taken care of first! As usual, I'm always looking for feedback and criticism; PM me if you're interested in testing!

PS: Should I try making rain a little bit heavier or is this enough to be aesthetically pleasing?

Figured out a way to cut the weather overhead in half while improving the intensity and spread of the rain a bit. This will probably be the final rain setup for now.

In other news; have a kill counter.
I wish I could make things even half as pretty as some of you guys. That raycasting system is really impressive Flick, and Feed looks as awesome as ever.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Just takes practice! I've been making stuff with DM for 11 years and Flick, probably much longer. Just practice, experiment, and don't be afraid to scrap an idea to try something new. Enjoy game dev as a hobby and don't make it something you feel like you have to do and you'll find yourself making all sorts of neat stuff. (^8

also, drugs.
Borrowed some nicer textures, fixed wall collision/movement a little, and got rid of most of the close up blurring. Still no luck with the floors and ceiling yet.

@Unwanted4Murder Like Kumorii said, just keep at it. Four days ago I had no idea whatsoever how to do raycasting. Read some tutorials, practice, convert to DM, listen to Ter13 ;) You'll get better.
OMG I love it flick. DUKE NUKEM HERE WE COME! I would love to recreate MageStorm. It used raycasting like this and was one of the greatest action/rpg games ever. Flick you rock I say make a 1rst person multiplayer dungeon crawler! Almost starting to have a feel like Delver here... sadly though delver isn't multiplayer.
"After looking at Feed's updates I swear your game dev strategy is to get high and add colorful things for 4-5 hours at a time. Lol."- D-Cire

kek.

Just had the most successful test session yet! Several 4-player matches were played with not a single bug or issue encountered! That might not sound like a big deal but for a game as dynamic and action-packed as Feed that's saying something! Expect some big stuff over the next few update logs!

Thanks to Flick, Yut Put, and tonytnhk and everyone who has helped test to date! You're all amazeballs!
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
also, drugs.

c:

1rst person multiplayer dungeon crawler!

I don't want to be that guy, but raycasting in DM is pretty much a single-player only sort of experiment.

I've been struggling to get my engine to run below 70% CPU at 60fps on a reasonably powerful machine with floor and ceiling casting, and that's with no BSP algorithm for sprite rendering. Even with a tiny 80x60 viewport, my raycasting is a total CPU hog and doesn't function well across a network because of DM's unique limitations.

Okay then what about restricting the 3-d back to tile based movement like N/S/E/W turn like old school dungeon crawlers a newer example being redshift's "The Quest" an older example being "Eye of the Beholder". Then at least you would get a 3-d look with a playable multiplayer game?
In response to Mickemoose
Mickemoose wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
also, drugs.

c:

;)
Yut Put wrote:
Flame Guardian wrote:
Mickemoose wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
also, drugs.

c:

;)

the classic orange color <3
In response to Mickemoose
Mickemoose wrote:
Kumorii wrote:
also, drugs.

c:

Snek.

Okay then what about restricting the 3-d back to tile based movement like N/S/E/W turn like old school dungeon crawlers a newer example being redshift's "The Quest" an older example being "Eye of the Beholder". Then at least you would get a 3-d look with a playable multiplayer game?

The issue isn't really the raycasting itself. Only about 5% of my CPU usage comes from the actual raycasting. The issue is displaying the viewport across the network and the appearance churn that just about any approach you could imagine generates.
  • Enemies no longer spawn ontop of other mobs or barricades.
  • Enemy death animations have been vastly improved.
  • Enemies now move incrementally faster in later waves.
  • Client-side animation now renders at a silky-smooth 100fps.
  • Overhauled the way sound effects are handled.
  • Repeated sound effects now vary in frequency.
  • Added a screen effect for receiving damage.
  • Added a sound effect when bullets whiz passed a player.
  • Players can no longer revive during deathmatches.
  • Fixed wave variants so they actually show up(didn't realize they were disabled!)
  • New sound effects for dealing damage and dying.

This round of changes is pretty big! The gameplay feels infinitely better with more satisfying sound effects and animations for killing and dishing out damage. Taking damage actually feels like it hurts now.

Have a number of features in the works right now that I'm excited to show off soon! I don't want to spoil anything though! (;

Special thanks to Yut Put and Amelia Pond for their contributions and brainstorming. You guys are fantastic!
In response to Kumorii
Giraffe mounts?
In response to Manio
Manio wrote:
Giraffe mounts?

I promise at some point before i die, Feed will have Giraffe mounts. (^:
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
Manio wrote:
Giraffe mounts?

I promise at some point before i die, Feed will have Giraffe mounts. (^:

pls