In response to DanteVFenris
It's a bit complicated in practice, but I'll try to break it down.

I have a procedure that can compare two lines to each other and determine whether or not the lines cross, and if so, at which point.

When using the beam, I create a line for that check (from the center of the player to the mouse target), and I compare it to all four lines that make up the bounding box of the turfs (or mobs).

I get a list of all the atoms, lines, and points that are crossed when checking the line. Then, I compare these points and find out which of them is closest to the origin.

Afterward, I use matrix transforms to scale the beam's height based on the distance to the closest point, then I translate it to match properly with the origin (since scale expands outward from the center), then I rotate that line to match the angle at which the player is targeting.

as for the beam wavering/fluctuating, I just adjust the width of the beam as well to randomly be smaller or larger, without varying too far from the default width.

The icon for the beam is 1 pixel tall and a few pixels wide. And I'm using BLEND_ADD to give it a glowing effect.

I'm also now using a collision system that uses the same principle, but compares four lines of one atom's bounding box against the ones surrounding it, the difference from byond's default bounding box collision is that I can rotate this box, which allows for non-grid-aligned collision to work.
In response to Exentriks Gaming
i love that art dude looking good
In response to Ganite
nice cant wait to play
In response to Ganite
he is just hating on you bro
It's like a, uh oh hotdog!

In response to Doohl
sounds good i love the music
In response to Rocknet
totally random
Music really does make or break a game! I hate how no game here on BYOND takes sound effects and soundtracks to account. This is wonderful, I love it! hehe.
In response to GreatPirateEra
i am taking sound and effects to account actually
I hate how no game here on BYOND takes sound effects and soundtracks to account.

That's not true. Dawncaster: Infestation had sound and music.
I would say that 99%+ of games don't use it, but not all of them are like that.

Even a lot of zeta rips did have sounds and music at one point, but it was so bad, and so loud that I ran BYOND completely muted for the years that I was actually playing BYOND games.
Whats the point of sound effects and music ? most people play music while they play i know i do ;) The weeknd acquainted!
In response to Southend_boi
if you play music while playing your game then it must mean that the music in that game is terrible am i right?
In response to Oral123
Oral123 wrote:
Show us an update on your Naruto project.

update... this is 2months old or something like that tho.

@Alienx26 - No... it just means its not my preference.
In response to Southend_boi
lol and looking good
The sand looks gridded Kai. Fix that shit fam.
In response to Jordan11
Jordan11 wrote:
The sand looks gridded Kai. Fix that shit fam.

i suck at sand and im going back to my apartment today :'( so i can't fix it i'll be pcless once again.

i don't know if it'll be noticeable ingame the tile is a 64x64 tile add some stones, rock formations, a pathway and cactus maybe it won't be noticeable.
i don't know if it'll be noticeable ingame the tile is a 64x64 tile add some stones, rock formations, a pathway and cactus maybe it won't be noticeable.

I don't think it's noticable as-is. If you have that much uninterrupted space in your maps, you got bigger problems than obvious tile patterns.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 349 350 351