Combat system is in need of some serious polishing. On a positive note: I LOVE the art being used!
What exactly could be done to make combat better?
In response to Ganite
Actually making combat engaging? I mean, all I see in that GIF is two people hitting the attack key while standing next to one another. Combat should require an element of strategy and surprise; catching your enemy off guard, cheap shots and whatnot. What you have going on doesn't feel like a combat system at all - it's more of an attack verb with a damage proc.
Basic AI at the moment. But the game does use a combo system using text strings which is prob a very generic way but it works. (The knockbacks are combos can't really tell since i don't have many attack states.)
Not every game requires all of that, GreatPirateEra. I think Ganite should just keep at what he's doing cause it looks fine.
If you want my full honest opinion. Make the game 100% range based.
this game's gif doesn't look like it has the concept of dodging or blocking present, and if it does, it's not very well implemented.

The other gif (on page 95) shows rolling (which I assume is dodging) and blocking. At the same time, Ganite does point out that the gif on this page is from basic AI and is likely temporary.

Knowing Ganite, though, this post will probably get ignored and tagged as "the game is perfect and the gif just isn't yut's taste".

This isn't the place for that.

Otherwise your post is very informative and I agree.

Now I just have to figure out how to get proper combat working effectively for a sidescroller, so far it's difficult.
He's not making an anime game; can we just be happy with that?
If ganite makes the game 100% range based/ranged attacks only. He could easily implement a smooth dodge and defend system.But only if he does the ranged attacks well and don't just make a bunch of attacks homing.
In response to Kumorii
Lol because an 'anime game' is just so horrible.
In response to RoxasX-San
RoxasX-San wrote:
Lol because an 'anime game' is just so horrible.

Agreed lol
looking good Ganite. Love that art style
In response to GreatPirateEra
And polished compared to what?
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
gimme your gold!

Yeh, I'm definitely diggin' the art style. Like others have already pointed out though, the combat is going to have to be there too.

Good luck.

haha sorry its taken a long time for me to post a real update of Shinobi Risings progress.
Heres a sneak peak of one of SRs Combos for a clan we've been working on i didnt put the effects in for the blasts because im still working on cleaning them up. but our project will be a open world where you can quest and fight bosses/monsters as you level up. as you get stronger you unlock more skills and combo moves for your character. So far we've finished maybe 5 clans where we have put a lot of work into everything. the overlays have been annoying haha but seeing the final product is worth it. btw this isnt a side scroller and every direction has the same quality.
Show me what you got.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
gimme your gold!

I like how there's just a pair of eyes watching the fight in that tree.
In response to Ghost of ET
Same the pair of eyes in the tree was my favorite thing.
In response to ManaSoul
That is some sick animation.
Thanks for the tips read over it and the post you linked very informative. The game actually does the thing you mention about knockingback your target a few steps after a hit but my ai so fast pace he moves back up so you don't see it :(. But I'm going to be taking a lot of pointers from this and the other post because I do want this to be a amazing rpg and not just for the art.
In response to Ganite
What about my post? It's informative to :c.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 349 350 351