In response to Ghost of ET
Ghost of ET wrote:
RoxasX-San wrote:
Learn C# as a first language and take some Unity 5 tutorials. You'll be set.

Im already taking classes for c++

Take Unreal Engine 4 tutorials then; since UE4 uses C++ as its main programming language, you'd be set there.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:

That's one of the coolest things I've seen on here...
In response to Rushnut
You should make a bunch of those chests mimics and turn it into a pseudo-minefield. Then if you put a number on open chests indicating how many mimics were adjacent, you'd have a minesweeper mini-game, haha.
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
You should make a bunch of those chests mimics and turn it into a pseudo-minefield. Then if you put a number on open chests indicating how many mimics were adjacent, you'd have a minesweeper mini-game, haha.

Mimics are planned! But yeah that'd be a funny minigame. Actually since we're having randomly generated dungeons, a room that can occasionally spawn could look like a large grid, which does something similar to what you suggested, fun idea!

Here's what it looks like when you kill a boss!

http://imgur.com/OA4hlgL

We gettin' paid!
In response to Rushnut
Love it.
Things!
Stuff!
Excitement!

http://i.imgur.com/hlqKlI0.webm
In response to Rushnut
Only thing I'd suggest for collecting all the sparkles: Have them move at a speed relative to the angle they're moving to get to the player. They seem to stick onto the x and y axis and it looks a bit strange.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
Only thing I'd suggest for collecting all the sparkles: Have them move at a speed relative to the angle they're moving to get to the player. They seem to stick onto the x and y axis and it looks a bit strange.

Hahahaha literally just spent two hours getting Goose to teach me some trig so I could do that.

The results are glorious, was already uploading this gif when you posted that.

http://i.imgur.com/og2cKxi.webm

Whew 50mb webms on 1.2mbps upload.

Wew first world country.
In response to Rushnut
dat cos() and sin()
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
dat cos() and sin()

var/dx = (nearestPlayer.x - x) * world.icon_size + (nearestPlayer.step_x - step_x) + (nearestPlayer.bound_width  - bound_width ) / 2
var/dy = (nearestPlayer.y - y) * world.icon_size + (nearestPlayer.step_y - step_y) + (nearestPlayer.bound_height - bound_height) / 2
var/hypot = sqrt((dx*dx)+(dy*dy))
if(!hypot)hypot = 1
step_x += (dx/hypot)*movementSpeed
if(step_x > 32)
x++
step_x -= 32 //Might cause region issues. Prolly not.
step_y += (dy/hypot)*movementSpeed
if(step_y > 32)
y++
step_y -= 32

I ain't about dat cos() and sin() lyfe bruh.
In response to Rushnut
Presumptuous: failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.

I don't believe I was being inappropriate... If I was, I didn't mean to be... especially when I intended it as a sort of praise.

But, I figured since you're talking trig you'd most likely use those, but I guess I'm biased because that's how I do most of my stuff.

Sorry?

In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
Presumptuous: failing to observe the limits of what is permitted or appropriate.

I don't believe I was being inappropriate... If I was, I didn't mean to be... especially when I intended it as a sort of praise.

But, I figured since you're talking trig you'd most likely use those, but I guess I'm biased because that's how I do most of my stuff.

Sorry?

Lol I was just playing around, no offense intended.

In other news,

GENERATION-HO!

In response to Exentriks Gaming
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
Bravo1 wrote:

That's one of the coolest things I've seen on here...

BTW: cos/sin are actually values which return the same thing as:

dx/hypot

dy/hypot

You are using cos/sin without even knowing it.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/ the-cosine-function-adjacent-over-hypotenuse.html
In response to Ter13
I minorly object to you linking me anything with the domain "dummies"

pls

am smrat.
Actually, what you wound up doing was pretty clever. You managed to figure out how to get cos/sin without having to work out the angle using a complex function like atan2.

So yeah, I'd agree that you are srmat.
Dungeon design document, incase anyone wants a look into how me and Goose are handling the design aspect of everything.

Everything has a purpose, and has context related to the style of dungeon being created.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/ 167B4hPxIxxABBlHzfHdmaFCONqoMFAXrTbbruKinjC8/ edit?usp=sharing

The Prison Cells section is currently the most fleshed out, since it's supposed to be the "main" "first" dungeon you encounter in the game. The generation is mostly done, we're just currently in the process of fine tuning the painters to give the dungeons their individual flavor.

The dungeon generation goes something like this in order of operations:

1: Define a grid of cells based off a variable x and y size
2: Define a spawn location
3: Hunt and kill the entire dungeon with corridor cells
4: Replace any corridor cells which are dead ends with rooms
5: Place a few extra random entrances and exits between corridors
6: Fill the entire map with dense turfs
7: Create a demolisher in each cell to clear it out, the demolisher clears it out based off the specification of the cell. If it's a corridor it'll create a pathway to the center of the cell, from each of the exits. If it's a room, it'll hollow it out entirely. And add a door, etc, things like that. This isn't painting yet, this stage is just very basic layout.
8: Create a painter in each cell after the demolishers are done. These are what actually create the flavor of the cells. This turns a blank room into a treasure room, or a boss room, etc. When the painters are created, make sure one of them is the exit.

The painters are the really hard part to build, but when you break down each stage of procedural generation like this, it becomes really easy to visualize and conceptualize.
speaking of, byond needs tan/atan2
softcoding those is gross
In response to Somepotato
Somepotato wrote:
speaking of, byond needs tan/atan2
softcoding those is gross

atan2(x, y) return (x||y) && (x>=0 ? arccos(y/sqrt(x*x+y*y)) : 360-arccos(y/sqrt(x*x+y*y)))

Idk. It's not that gross.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1898015

StdLib has tan/atan2().

Plus to be honest, I have philosophical disagreements with Lummox about whether we should use bearings or angles to describe trigonometric directions. He seems to think that 0 degrees is north, while I think that 0 degrees is east.

Be careful what you wish for unless you want your axes of all your trig to be wrong by 90 degrees.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 349 350 351