ID:1911918

Any news on when y'all plan on making non active names recyclable?
Never. It would introduce security issues from things that use hard-coded keys for authentication and access privileges.
I never understood why this was such a common question.
I kind of get it on some level. I mean if an old account with a common name got abandoned, it'd be nice to be able to reclaim it. But the security implications are really awful.
Besides any security issues that may arise, my only other concern is developers who've been here a long time taking a long temporary leave only to come back with their account name being taken and being forced to use a new one.

If in the future recycling old names from inactive accounts was feasible, I'd suggest making it so if you've purchased a BYOND Membership at least once your name becomes permanent.
Give me the account name 'Beamed' and I'll forgive BYOND of all its screwups. I beg of you.
Giving away old account names willy-nilly would by definition be a screw-up.
I was kidding. But no, seriously. Give me beamed. You'd make my life.
In response to Lavenblade
Lavenblade wrote:
Besides any security issues that may arise, my only other concern is developers who've been here a long time taking a long temporary leave only to come back with their account name being taken and being forced to use a new one.

If an account has a hub, it should not be in consideration recycling. If it had actually been used as an active account and has favorites and/or posts, it shouldn't be recycled.

If BYOND ever considers recycling keys, it should only be keys that were made over ~5 years ago but were never used.

I understand wanting to use the alias that you use everywhere else, I would have liked to get RJT or R. But making slight modifications to your alias doesn't end the work.
In response to Lavenblade
Lavenblade wrote:
If in the future recycling old names from inactive accounts was feasible, I'd suggest making it so if you've purchased a BYOND Membership at least once your name becomes permanent.

I absolutely love this idea :)

can has recycle Dan's key? i wont do anything bad i promiss

Dibs on Andre Baldy...
If anybody wants to be all edgy and cool they can have my old key, Shadow Void. Lolol
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Dibs on Andre Baldy...

Both contest keys were actually registered by me, so they're mine. MINE
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
If anybody wants to be all edgy and cool they can have my old key, Shadow Void. Lolol

The edge is so sharp I had to get a band-aid.
In response to Vrocaan
Vrocaan wrote:
Kumorii wrote:

The edge is so sharp I had to get a band-aid.

Name was so cool I had to go sit in front of the fireplace.

And my house doesn't even have a fireplace.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:

I'll take it. I'm not joking. Message me.

Maybe instead of automatically recycling accounts, what about owners of multiple accounts being able to flag their old accounts for deletion and recycling? I mean, I usually switch up my username every few years and think my old accounts are basically just wasting space, for the most part.
Yea I wouldn't mind this, could finally use my real name as my key .. Dan ...
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Yea I wouldn't mind this, could finally use my real name as my key .. Dan ...

i already called the Dan key.
Page: 1 2