ID:1912643

So, I've studied enough of BYOND and dream maker to feel confident enough about making (and completing) a game. I'm aware of all the good advice on these forums about announcing releases long before they're ready, so forgive my lack of information in this thread.

I essentially have narrowed down my decision process to one of two similar genre: tactical and strategical. Both would be turn based, 2d tile based games.

My experience with code is good enough to formulate my own procs for handling team based sight, interface manipulation and trig/vector procedures which calculate lines of sight based on terrain elevation, partial cover etc (more for strategy games than tactical), so let's assume I have the capacity to make a playable game.

All I really want to know is, should I go with my head and make a simple(r) and easier-to-pick-up tactical game as my first project (comparisons would be somewhere between FF tactics and chess, with a twist; or with my heart and go with a more complicated but more in-depth strategy game with tactical elements, such as a smaller scale tile based hearts of iron.

I do plan on producing both ideas eventually, so I just want to know your thoughts as to which is the better idea for the first game - as I'm still learning of course. Again, apologies for the vagueness, but I am open to questions.

Thanks,

BW
We will, eventually. That's why I'm asking "which first?", as opposed to just "which?"
For your first game I think you should take whatever is the simplest option and aim to complete something rather than make the best game you possibly can.

Do as you wish :)

But I also agree with Lugia, you can always come back to them later ^^