ID:191326

I submitted BYONDHockey to the fan game channel and I got an email saying that its not a fan game that it should be resubmitted under the appropriate channel.(which by the way it neglected to mention). I'm sorry to whoever makes those decisions, but I'm a fan of hockey, I made the game because I'm a fan of hockey, so why shouldn't my game be a FAN game? What does it take to be a fan game, the title of some other game in its name? hold on... I will just go stick DBZ or something in the name, then it would be a fan game right? I think the requirements for the channels should be either better explained or changed. because hockey is a fan game, not a party game, or anything else. unless of course you want to make me my own little channel. or better yet, just give me BYONDSports, I have plans for future sports games, so you will sooner or later. thanks.

Canar
A fan game is a game that is based off of a currently existing computer or console game but it was created by a fan of the game.
In response to WizDragon
WizDragon wrote:
A fan game is a game that is based off of a currently existing computer or console game but it was created by a fan of the game.

well then they need to change the rules. my game is a fan game. its not a party game (which just sounds fruity to me) and its not strategy, its not solo, its not anything else out there, its a fan game. unless they make a sports channel I think my game should go on the fan game channel. I dont even know if it would've been accepted had I sent it to the right channel, but I personally believe that it deserves to be a fan game.

Canar
In response to Canar
I agree 100%. A sports channel would be nice though, that way I can submit Football and Half COURT B-ball
A "fan game" is defined as a game based off of an existing work... Like a DBZ based game... Or a Lord of the Rings based game... Or a Power Puff Girl game... Or a game that is a remake of another game...

Not an original game made by a fan of something (like hockey)...

Your game would be more closely described as a "Sports Game", but there isn't a current channel with that classification... Perhaps they should make one...
Because hockey is a general sport, if it were molded after a specific hockey game it would be a fangame, your best bet right now is "BYOND.Party" because the game is for multiplayer only, and should be played with a party of people.

And, yes, I'm the one that rejected it.
In response to Canar
Canar wrote:
well then they need to change the rules.

Let me get this straight... the universally accepted definition of "fan game" doesn't suit your needs, so the definition needs to be changed?

The definition of "senior citizen" doesn't include me either, how about I demand they change it so I can get social security checks too?

A fan game is a game inspired by the copyrighted creations of others, such as other published games, novels, movies etc.

I agree that a BYOND hockey game doesn't really fit in any of our other categories, either. But I'm not sure it's appropriate to create a new sports category for the few sports games we have (I can only think of 2 at the moment). I, however, am not too fond of the name of the "Party" category, like yourself.

If you could rename the "Party" category so that it represented games like Lexiconomy, Red Cap and Hockey equally well, what would you name it?

Z
In response to Zilal
group action games :P
o.0?
In response to Zilal
I think a sports category should be added anyway - there is this hockey game, a racing game by Theodis, an Ultimate Frisbee game (that was in development at one time in the past), and a future Cricket game (I'm designing one for a local Cricket club). There is every indication of an interest in more sports-related games to be developed in BYOND - so there ought to be a section for it!
In response to Zilal
Zilal wrote:
[snip]
If you could rename the "Party" category so that it represented games like Lexiconomy, Red Cap and Hockey equally well, what would you name it?

Z

I have a few projects which are science-fiction/fantasy "sports". I'm not overly anxious to put them in either Party or Sports.

To be honest, Lexiconomy does fall under what I think of when I think of party games. It's a word improve(sp?)/trivia sort of thing that tends to be seen in commercials with a group of friends cackling in the living room. I would leave some games in the Party category.

However, for the rest, I think Action would fit. There might not be many sports games, but there are shooting games to bulk it up. I think the Action category is somewhat standard. Sure, it's been torn into Fighters, Shooters, and whatever, but people tend to know what it is.
In response to ACWraith
ACWraith wrote:
Lexiconomy... [is] a word improv/trivia sort of thing...

that looks better, eh?
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
I think a sports category should be added anyway - there is this hockey game, a racing game by Theodis, an Ultimate Frisbee game (that was in development at one time in the past), and a future Cricket game (I'm designing one for a local Cricket club). There is every indication of an interest in more sports-related games to be developed in BYOND - so there ought to be a section for it!

Ultimate frisbee will get released at some point, but I'm focusing on my board games for now.

It sounds like there are definitely enough sports games to warrant a sports channel, especially since it's a fairly common genre in commercial video games.
In response to Canar
Canar wrote:
well then they need to change the rules. my game is a fan game. its not a party game (which just sounds fruity to me) and its not strategy, its not solo, its not anything else out there, its a fan game. unless they make a sports channel I think my game should go on the fan game channel. I dont even know if it would've been accepted had I sent it to the right channel, but I personally believe that it deserves to be a fan game.

Deserves to be a fan game? You think that badly of your own creation?

Seriously, though, although your game may not fit any of the other categories very well, neither is it a fan game. A fan game is loosely defined as an amateur creation based on the characters or the universe of a fictional series. Final Fantasy has fan games essentially because the game is known for being as much fiction and story as game (if not more, these days). Or, some fan games are amateur attempts to recreate an old computer game, and there again Final Fantasy has its fan games, as do Dragon Warrior and the like.

Sports games are not fan games, by definition. I agree that BYOND does need a sports game category, however.

Lummox JR
In response to Nadrew
I guess I'm not gonna win this one, I will resubmit it under byond.party, not saying that it will get accepted even then, but at least I have a better chance there. thanks for clearing it up man.

Canar