I actually have another question that I believe I asked before but there was no real conclusive answer. This is a problem I'm seeing more and more often- Basically let's say you start in a specific location A and you begin to walk NORTH, everything runs fine and it's very smooth. However, when you start walking back to location A, the game begins slowing down and the closer you get to A the worse and worse it becomes; The screen starts tearing, the mob is practically walking in place and it's basically unplayable.

I've checked the profiler and there's nothing causing this as far as I can tell. The really weird part is that your first time through this specific location, it all runs perfecly smooth, but the further away you go from it the worse it's going to be when you get back. Can someone PLEASE tell me what is or could be causing this. After all this work it would really suck if it's something that I cannot fix.
Send me a playable copy and I'll see what I can pin down.
In response to Ter13
Sent.
I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to pause a game? Ideally I'd be able to pause what's going on in the back while I play around with a menu that pops up or something similar. But if that's not possible I'd settle for just a complete pause/unpause of the entire game.

2. Is there a way to add different colors to different parts of an icon? For example: if there is a human icon, is there a way to add the color red to the body and blue to the head. I'd imagine if an icon is split into a matrix then you should be a way to apply a specific color to w.e row and column you'd like?
In response to Exentriks Gaming
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to pause a game? Ideally I'd be able to pause what's going on in the back while I play around with a menu that pops up or something similar. But if that's not possible I'd settle for just a complete pause/unpause of the entire game.

No, there isn't such a thing currently. Nothing will pause animations or animating icons. Procs that are scheduled to start after a sleep/spawn will still happen on time, and verbs will still be called.

You can build in some degree of pause/unpause yourself, with the understanding that the animations can't be stopped, by adding some kind of pause awareness to all your procs. It's not trivial, but it is doable.

2. Is there a way to add different colors to different parts of an icon? For example: if there is a human icon, is there a way to add the color red to the body and blue to the head. I'd imagine if an icon is split into a matrix then you should be a way to apply a specific color to w.e row and column you'd like?

One way you could do this would be by a special "highlight" icon. Let's say you have three customizable colors in the user's icon. Then you can create an icon that has red, green, and blue components in the places where you want to apply color, use MapColors() to change each color, and blend it with the main icon.
In response to Lummox JR
Thank you very much.
Mind you if you're only customizing simple colors, or a small set of potential colors, then you can simply set some dummy colors in your original icon and use SwapColor() to change them to your target colors. For instance, if hair only comes in 3 or 4 shades (as is fairly common with pixel art), you can simply make the hair a funky color that won't be used anywhere else in your icon, and then replace those colors one at a time with shades of the hair color the user chose. (There are procs in my IconProcs library that will help you with getting shades of a color.)

The benefit of that approach is, it doesn't require a special highlight icon.
What I was thinking of doing is more of an animation that would change colors and shift them down the icon to create a cool effect.

It's hard to explain but imagine something like these wings:

but animated and the colors constantly changing. Something like this would lead to endless possibilities.
That won't work with the icon math stuff I described. For that you're way better off having an /image with a gradient icon, and using a matrix on image.color to do the effect you want.
In response to Lummox JR
Yeah I was thinking about doing it similar to this. Thanks a bunch!
Just have another simple question: is there a proc or variable to find out what an objects exact location within a tile is?(The pixel offsets it has moved within the tile)
You can check the step_x and step_y variables.
In response to Nadrew
Thank you!
Is there any way to save a tileset from dmi into one png?
Change the file extension. A .dmi is just a PNG with extra info. You can also export it as a PNG in the icon editor on the top left corner
In response to GreatPirateEra
If you change the file extension or export it, it only saves the first icon.
try dragging the dmi into paint or something
then save the thing in paint, or whatever u used, as a png
When adding an object that has its own rgb value to the overlays of a similar object that also has its rgb value set, do the two rgb values combine?

This is what I mean:
obj

fishOverlay
icon = 'fishes1.dmi'
icon_state = "overlay"
color = rgb(0, 255,246)

fishes
icon = 'fishes1.dmi'
icon_state = "outline"
color = rgb(255,12,12)//orange: 255,12,12 blue: 0, 255,246

New()
..()
src.overlays += new/obj/fishOverlay

For some reason the overlay object is coming out black. Is this the intended behavior? and if so, what can be done to have two separate colors.
appearance_flags = RESET_COLOR, possibly.
In response to Kozuma3
Thank you very much.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6