ID:1914644

I know that a lot of you are probably making games that will require balancing through numbers at one point. Some of you are probably making 2+ player games. And if at any point there is a side A vs. side B, this post is for you.

First, let's talk about balance. Our favourite board games are examples of rather well-balanced games. In Go, the player that moves first has an advantage, so to counter this and make it fair, the player that moves second gets some number of points (off hand I think it's 5.5). To balance the game, they "give a bone" to the other side. But if you're designing your game well, you'll never have to do such a thing, because from the outset, one side is noticeably stronger than the other. Avoid this.

Chess is presumably a more balanced game because there is no bonus given to other side. If a side has a slight edge, there isn't enough of an advantage to warrant some kind of a boost to the other side. But chess offers one of the other pitfalls of games - the slippery slope. The slippery slope is defined as a situation that feeds itself. Slippery slopes aren't inherently bad though, there are plenty of games that you're probably familiar with that have slippery slopes. Most RTS games have them to one degree or another. Starcraft, the units you use to fight are also the things that give you vision. Losing units means losing the means to fight and see what's coming your way. Allegiance has a bit of a drastic slippery slope in once a player has been beaten, they can spend a maximum of 5 minutes unable to do anything useful due to being in an escape pod. The important thing to do is to control the slippery slope.

In chess, the means by which you win are by using the pieces you have on the board. You can remove pieces from your opponent by attacking them. So losing a piece from the board is losing the means to defend, attack, and win the game. This is the slippery slope. These are things you want to avoid but can be made to work. Chess can get away with it because it's played on a small field and the other player can usually make a counter move for it in a very short period of time. If the board was much larger, each piece would have much more value, so losing the piece would hurt even more. And since you can make a response play very soon, the advantages don't pile on against you.

Another thing we want are the tools to make the game exciting. Gameplay aside, we're going to look at the comeback. A comeback is when a team takes the lead from behind. These usually require some degree of skill to perform and make for exciting games. Now that's not to say that the early game should be disregarded, that the team that wins early should never be able to win late. But there should be some device through which losing teams are given opportunities to prove themselves instead of slowly lose. Let's contrast pool and chess this time.

In pool, every time you sink a ball, you get to shoot again. So a sufficiently skilled player can pretty much win as soon as the split goes just by sinking balls left and right. In chess, we don't have that. Chess would be horribly imbalanced if every time a player took a piece they got to move again. You could line up your bishop at the start of the game and destroy the back line instantly. In chess, the comeback mechanic is the ability to get back pieces that you have lost - the promotion of a pawn.

In chess, you start the game with 8 pawns and while most of them will likely die before the game has ended, successfully getting a pawn to your opponent's side of the board means that you may swap it for a titled piece that you have lost. Managing to do so means you gain some power that you have lost from the board, but your power will never be the same as if you had lost no pieces. Getting a pawn to the other side of the board takes some effort (I personally do it once or twice a game because I need my knights) but it does provide you with the tools to regain ground. This is part of how chess controls its slippery slope.

There are contrasts to the slippery slope which you may find useful to include. One such example is the infamous blue shell. While we all complain about the blue shell, there's no denying how important it is to the game. Or rather the full concept. Being further behind in Mario Kart boosts your chances of getting better items to use. The creators designed it this way because they wanted the standings to continue to shift, making the game ultimately more interesting for everyone. It's boring to win with no competition to make you try harder. And it's boring to sit in last place and try to catch up. So with varying items, the game is made more interesting for everyone involved.

The last thing I want to touch on is the concept of flat caps. Nintendo strikes oil again with their combat in Smash. Instead of doing what normal fighting games do and using flat health bars, Smash uses percentages which refer to knockback effects and other things. So while it does help to damage your opponents, it doesn't mean that you're always going to lose if you take more damage. 500% vs 100%, the 100% will probably win, but the 500% can still win if they play their cards right. In making this decision, the creators create an environment in which anyone can win. And it's the 'anyone can win' idea which makes exciting.
Interesting post. IMO, I think the real question comes down to what type of game it is. Off the top of my head, I'd broadly put games into these categories:

1) Elimination
2) First to goal
3) Best score

Chess is an elimination game. It doesn't easily allow for comebacks because at heart, it's a game of attrition. The so-called slippery slope is an intentional part of its design, as the goal is to avoid losing your pieces--which are your lifeblood--while making your opponent lose his. Chess therefore employs strategies like sacrifice, giving up some power in a gambit to make your opponent give up even more.

Monopoly is another elimination game. Your relative playing power may increase or decrease, but if it decreases too far you'll eventually be out. The last player standing wins.

A first-to-goal game would include a race, Farkel/10000, or Bananagrams. In each case one player wins by getting to a goal first. Comebacks can come into play in these kinds of games, especially a game like Farkel where a single roll can change your score dramatically.

Best-score games are where comebacks really matter most. They're usually played against a clock to constrain them. (This is one reason Quidditch is so badly broken. It's constrained by any player catching the Snitch, which means a game can last weeks, you can make your own team end on a loss, and typically all the other action is totally irrelevant.)

For the blue shell mechanic, I think it has merit, but only in the types of games where the goal is to prolong the fight for more fun--when there's a risk of it being over too soon. It can feel very artificial if it's misused.

For my two cents, in computer games one of the things that most suffers in terms of balance is stats. Players may go into a battle with very different stats, but you still want to give the underdog a good chance--especially if they strategize well. The very best games tend to keep stats low, because when you allow numbers to get too far out of whack, balance becomes absolutely impossible.
Unfortunately the balance of competitive gameplay is a problem that really makes or breaks the very best developers in the industry. We've been working on how to best balance games since the days of classic wargaming.

The problem mostly comes down to when players are allowed to customize, mix and match the playing pieces they bring to the field. This is most prominent in RPG's, Card Games, Wargames, MOBAs etc. In a game like chess, everyone comes to the table with the exact same pieces in the exact same configuration. Chess would be a very different game if people were allowed to deploy their pieces in any arrangement within their home spaces.

I agree with Lummox, though. The lower you keep the bounds of the stats in your game, the easier it becomes to balance. Unfortunately, some games just can't facilitate this style of design. Many RPG's are a classic example of this. You need a lot of levels to keep the character's progression feeling fluid and not like a chore to get from level 5 to level 6. At this point, it's really about balancing the ratios of stats between the starting levels with the end game. MMORPG's have the benefit of end-game content, so it makes balancing the mid-game much less important, so long as the end game can be balanced relatively decently. Even this is a very difficult process though. World of Warcraft has been going for over 10 years now and it still has this problem.
Nothing is stopping you from creating different modes, such as Free-play where anyone uses what they have and a Competitive-mode where everyone must use the same equipment.
Remember not to confine yourself to only one way of doing/thinking.
In response to AERProductions
AERProductions wrote:
Nothing is stopping you from creating different modes, such as Free-play where anyone uses what they have and a Competitive-mode where everyone must use the same equipment.

Forcing everyone to use the same equipment is kinda boring. And not really a true indicator of skill because it doesn't allow you to do varied strategies. It pretty much locks you into one thing.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
AERProductions wrote:

Forcing everyone to use the same equipment is kinda boring. And not really a true indicator of skill because it doesn't allow you to do varied strategies. It pretty much locks you into one thing.

You misinterpret my meaning. Look at warframe, they recently redid their PVP so that they had a select set of weapons that everyone could use (so they can balance them better). This works, this is also how old FPSs function. Look at Delta Force Land Warrior: There is an armory that everyone can access the same weapons.

I don't mean everyone has to use *the same exact setup of equipment*, I mean they get a selection out of a specific group of equipment to use that has been balanced (and is much easier to balance than free mode).

This is already how E-sports function, even before Battlefield 2. Everyone uses the vanilla weapons in competitive e-sports. In free-play public servers, people use whatever!
These are also FPS without any real kind of diversity in the way of playstyle.
Which is the freedom of game development. People can make it however they want it and hope that others like it too!
AERProductions wrote:
Which is the freedom of game development. People can make it however they want it and hope that others like it too!

"Hoping" that other people like it is a really, terribly poor business model for game developers. The goal as a game developer is to write games that you would love to play. The goal as a business oriented game developer is to write games that other people love to play AND would be willing to shell out good money for.

It's the reason the games industry stagnates like it does every few years. Publishers and investors simply aren't willing to pay for the development of games that aren't almost guaranteed to sell well, so developers are often forced to reinvent the wheel over and over again, shucking out the same games years after year because otherwise they would never get funded.

Crowd funding is probably the best thing to happen to mainstream gaming since the 32-bit architecture. It allows all of these far-fetched concepts to be tested, funded by players and people who want to see these new ideas succeed.
Not everyone is in it for money. :)
We are basically saying the same thing, create a game you want to play and others may want to as well.
I don't and never will compare myself to mainstream developers. They are a plague.
AERProductions wrote:
Not everyone is in it for money. :)
We are basically saying the same thing, create a game you want to play and others may want to as well.
I don't and never will compare myself to mainstream developers. They are a plague.

That's a horrible way to look at it. They're just like you, but 10 years ahead. They make games because they enjoy it like anyone else.

And if you're not looking at game development from at least a partial business standpoint, your games will almost never be popular. It's literally all about catering to your players and making sure they're having a great time while simultaneously drawing in new players. That's not intended to sound shallow, but if you're not listening to the people playing your game and you're only developing it so you can have fun, then you should probably stick to writing single-player only games with no multiplayer. It'll work better.
I'm not going to argue over personal perspectives.
The moment the gaming industry went south is when game development became only about making money and not making a passionate production of something you believe in. I am not like them and don't want to think of myself as them. Of course I am looking at the business side, but that isn't everything. I have more desire to produce a fun game than to make money. Also, it is hard to say that the greedy game devs of today are anything like me considering you don't know anything about me! :)
I do love a good game of chess, though.
Wow, getting paid to make games? That sounds awful. Aside from the fact that the game development market is really bad right now thanks to publishers and investors, the developers at heart want to be just like you. To make a long story short, it's the people that pay to have games made that make AAA gaming so horrible. Not the developers. Indie developing can only go so far, and is rarely successful. Usually indie games have to have like a major breakout or they're just not worth the developer's time.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Wow, getting paid to make games? That sounds awful. Aside from the fact that the game development market is really bad right now thanks to publishers and investors, the developers at heart want to be just like you. To make a long story short, it's the people that pay to have games made that make AAA gaming so horrible. Not the developers. Indie developing can only go so far, and is rarely successful. Usually indie games have to have like a major breakout or they're just not worth the developer's time.

True, I suppose I am somewhat cynical but you are right! It definitely is the publishers/advertisers holding all that flush cash making the develops do crummy things (like release the game early when it is broken).

I wouldn't mind making money but I have some personal issues about paying taxes and such which somewhat bars me from taking anything other than donations (And giving in-game items as "gifts" for donations, hehe).