In response to AERProductions
AERProductions wrote:
The 'recording' scenario you mentioned seems to be a problem with the system itself. In my mind, it is the same as if you put a microphone near a speaker and you get feedback. There isn't really any anti-feedback system on electronics to prevent it, that is just how the objects interact. The way to fix that is make it 'not happen'. Disable the ability to do that scenario you mentioned and such a thing won't happen.
That is my perspective, anyhow.

I'm a bit late to the party, but you say this as if it's simple to do.

As the coder who "fixed" the bug, I just ended up removing the wires from tape recorders (since they were little used anyway).

I had, before I resorted to doing that, implemented about five other bandaid fixes to mitigate the problem and made the bug not crash the server, but instead crash clients from message spam (because byond handles output so horribly) and just lag the server horribly in general.

The only other fix I could think of would have been very dumb: adding empty HTML tags in the middle of the words said by the tape recorders.
It is literally impossible to make an exception and make the tape recorder not voice triggered, by the way.
In response to Miauw62
Miauw62 wrote:
AERProductions wrote:
The 'recording' scenario you mentioned seems to be a problem with the system itself. In my mind, it is the same as if you put a microphone near a speaker and you get feedback. There isn't really any anti-feedback system on electronics to prevent it, that is just how the objects interact. The way to fix that is make it 'not happen'. Disable the ability to do that scenario you mentioned and such a thing won't happen.
That is my perspective, anyhow.

I'm a bit late to the party, but you say this as if it's simple to do.

As the coder who "fixed" the bug, I just ended up removing the wires from tape recorders (since they were little used anyway).

I had, before I resorted to doing that, implemented about five other bandaid fixes to mitigate the problem and made the bug not crash the server, but instead crash clients from message spam (because byond handles output so horribly) and just lag the server horribly in general.

The only other fix I could think of would have been very dumb: adding empty HTML tags in the middle of the words said by the tape recorders.
It is literally impossible to make an exception and make the tape recorder not voice triggered, by the way.

You never know, that last idea you think is dumb might be the one that works! Everything is worth a shot. That is how we learn. :)
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
When a proc chain fails due to too much recursion, it will no longer count as a critical error (which can lead to eventual server shutdown). Also, if a catch block is available to catch the error, it will do so.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5