Mano A Mano

by Flick
Mano A Mano
Knights, archers, and wizards in a free for all battle to the death.
ID:1915128

I've always had trouble creating decent looking GUIs for my games. I guess this isn't too bad, but I don't know if it really fits the theme. Bleah...
Looks good. Although the color scheme for the text could be different. That green doesn't seem to set well on the ribbon and the buttons. But Game - # and Players: is fine.
ohgod papyrus
I imagine Flick that you're the kind of person who would study insanely and then tell all his friends "I totally failed that exam."

That interface looks sweet as, dunno what you're talking about 'I've always had trouble with gui's.' Nah every artistic thing you post is always high quality.
I think your outlines for everything non-clickable are too thick. Namely, this is for the panels' titles, like "Players" and "News", and for the panels' borders. I think thick outlines are ok for the outer edge for the panels' borders. I don't dig those green circles in the top left and top right corners of the panels' borders; this mostly has to do with how you've drawn them rather than how you've designed the border's style. I also think that the font face, Papyrus, is kind of overused. I think your shadows for both the words and the titles are not soft enough.

I think your buttons look ok. I think the actual content text in your panels look ok.

[EDIT]: Amusingly, the Papyrus in the panels' content text looks ok. If you do end up changing the font face used for the title text, I think it would be okay to stick to Papyrus only for the content text if the new font face doesn't look as good at a small size.
I agree. Be rid of Papyrus.
Well, my second choice was Comic Sans ;) I'll see what I can do about the font. I agree that a lot of the borders are a bit too much. I can trim them down a bit. Thanks :)
The font fits perfectly fine with the theme (the ribbons and the gameplay genre). It's where it belongs and isn't used poorly. It's the color that is the issue. There is no need to get rid of it. Please, explain why someone shouldn't use the font rather than actually just saying "don't use it". I don't really see any distaste in his choice.
It looks decent on its own. Theme-wise, I wonder if keeping the internal angles in increments of 120 degrees would help when compared to the hex map. Maybe you could get away with just modifying the border corners. =)
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
The font fits perfectly fine with the theme (the ribbons and the gameplay genre). It's where it belongs and isn't used poorly. It's the color that is the issue. There is no need to get rid of it. Please, explain why someone shouldn't use the font rather than actually just saying "don't use it". I don't really see any distaste in his choice.

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2011/02/ 10-iconic-fonts-and-why-you-should-never-use-them/ #10 on this list

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665318/ the-8-worst-fonts-in-the-world #4

http://www.ucreative.com/articles/ 9-fonts-brands-should-avoid-in-2014/ #4

As you can see by the articles provided above: Papyrus is generally hated by the graphic design commmunity, and for good reason.

It's up to Flick whether or not he wants to change it but I will say there are fonts out there that work just as well and don't look so bad.
I understand that it is hated. But, I also understand that following these articles only caters to the those that aren't actually going to be playing your game. Most people who play games don't care a single bit about design but love a pleasant UI that meshes well together.

I feel that if he wants to win over those who assess everything down to the finest detail then go the extra mile and find a font that fits the theme. Or, if he doesn't feel like taking the time to go and please a small portion of his potential player base, he can stick with what he's got and polish it a bit so everything compliments each other.

However, I fully support the idea of him pleasing that small portion. Because they can make a big difference in the long-run.
I think Papyrus doesn't fit the game thematically. Thematically, I think it conveys antiquity and exotic and foreign; this is a poor match for the game's fantasy theme, with the battling knights and barbarians and wizards and druids and such.

I think a more script-like typeface should be used here.
I didn't play with any of the maptext colors yet, but I think the graphic stuff looks a bit better.

Looks a lot more pleasant to the eye. Good job.
Definitely prefer the new font. I would change the remaining Papyrus too, but it's not so bad.
Big improvements. :)
In response to Flick
I like the bezeled corners but I'm not sure about that cyan text against the brown background.

Brown and Cyan certainly contrast well but there is little harmony which I think you could get from other colors.

I tryed out some different colors but green was still my go-to for this. Just a suggestion of course.

Still working on the GUI and menu setup. Also trying to decide how to set up class selection. Looks decent, but I'm not sure how intuitive it is.

I did also draw the class icons for the wizard and druid pieces.
I'd suggest turning the class icons/names into buttons. The Select Class header already tells players what to do so you can lose the text. Display the corresponding info when the one of the buttons is pressed. Then put an OK button within that info window to confirm the selection.
Yeah, that would work. Would let me shrink the whole window down a bit. I need space for arrows anyway. I've been scratching out notes for a bunch of other classes.
Page: 1 2