In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
I actually was born knowing how to draw. lol But I get what you mean. JUST DO IT.

And 47? Hory Sheet. I've been doing it wrong all this time.

You could use 82, 161, or 256 state joining, ID:36068, or even the esoteric Foomerian join.
Okay, so here are my results using just two textures.

Looks fine for the most part, just not a fan of the hard transitions. Even an edge blur option would be great for this.
Looks fine for the most part, just not a fan of the hard transitions. Even an edge blur option would be great for this.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Edge blur would look like complete garbage and the program is not meant to do anything but take the XP autotile input format and generate the variations.
I don't mean edge blur as in the outer edge, I mean edge blur more as in where the textures themselves meet. Something to soften the hard lines where the textures meet.
I don't mean edge blur as in the outer edge, I mean edge blur more as in where the textures themselves meet. Something to soften the hard lines where the textures meet.

Yeah. I know. It'd look terrible. Pixel art really only looks good with a defined palette and crisp, well defined forms. Blurring a transition should basically never be done in a pixel-art based game. It ruins readability. The reason the autotile tool exists is to minimize the number of frames you need to create to generate a proper transition between two terrain types while still offering maximal artistic control.

If you are looking for a tool to generate transitions for you without any artistic input at all, you have already missed the point entirely of what pixel art as an artform is.

I'd prefer no transitions to blurry transitions:

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

If you are looking for a tool to generate transitions for you without any artistic input at all, you have already missed the point entirely of what pixel art as an artform is.

Asking for blend masks/blurring is quite within the bounds for 'artistic input' wouldn't you think, considering it directly alters art to a form that I may or may not want? Options like blend mask type or style tend to be implied off the bat.
Asking for blend masks/blurring is quite within the bounds for 'artistic input' wouldn't you think, considering it directly alters art to a form that I may or may not want?

Not when it comes to pixel art. You don't want to use partial-alpha blend masks with pixel art because it is antithetical to the entire concept of pixel art.

What you are talking about is something you NEVER see 2D games do. There's a reason for that. And it's because a 2D game looks best with a strongly restricted palette. Using blend masks like you are explaining balloons your unique color count out of control and destroys the entire effect pixel art best puts across.

Sure, you can do it. But you simply aren't going to get the fine-grained artistic control over the transition as you would by merely drawing them. Further, you lose complete control over your palette, which is basically sticking a gun in your mouth in terms of pixel art.

I'm not gonna say much more on the subject. It's a bad idea, and every mainstream 2D game that's ever used this technique would have been better off without it.

The games that strayed from restricted palettes didn't fare well in the annals of history.
"The games that strayed from restricted palettes didn't fare well in the annals of history."

I'm listening to my target user base, and I prefer to not be in any history books. :) The users aren't quite wanting another pixel world like Furcadia (yes, the userbase is furries.) They want the pixel art style pretty much for the sprites and objects, and the rest of the world to look somewhat drab but slightly more detailed - something akin to the style of 80s/90s animation with the darker, fairly-detailed backgrounds, and the lighter, brighter characters/objects that would be interacted with by said characters.

If you log in there and give it a look some time, what I have going is exactly what the user base has said they've been looking for.

I am also planning on making a version of this for 4K resolutions (current optimal resolution for this is 1280x800,) which is why I started with 256x256 detailed tile textures, with the idea of blend masks and such having already been considered for the artistic part, there. If it looks this nice at 32x32, when I bump the tile resolution up to 96x96 for 4K monitors, the details will look even better and get closer to what they have been asking for.

When that happens, I'll hopefully have had something similar to what is talked about here http://devmag.org.za/2009/05/28/ getting-more-out-of-seamless-tiles/ (Smooth Transitions Between Regions section about 1/3 the way down the page) worked into the whole mix.

4K resolutions

which is why I started with 256x256 detailed tile textures

Good luck I guess. Just... Know that you are venturing into something that frankly doesn't aesthetically work.
Can't wait for 4k oculus support for it! :)
In response to Ter13
I just made that face x 100.
So annoyed right now.
-___-

Working with other people really just make me think I should just do it all myself.
In response to Avidanimefan
Avidanimefan wrote:
I just made that face x 100.
So annoyed right now.
-___-

Working with other people really just make me think I should just do it all myself.

I know that feeling!

Ter13 wrote:
Good luck I guess. Just... Know that you are venturing into something that frankly doesn't aesthetically work.

Thankfully, aesthetics isn't exactly a concern amongst the target userbase. They want what they want, I'm just here to deliver as best as I possibly can!
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:

Can BYOND even handle 90-120 FPS? Well, I imagine it could as long as everything was optimized and the code kept lean and lightweight.

In response to Khyberkitsune
You're at the wrong place
In response to Khyberkitsune
Khyberkitsune wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:

Can BYOND even handle 90-120 FPS? Well, I imagine it could as long as everything was optimized and the code kept lean and lightweight.

Even I struggle to keep CPU down at 60FPS. The engine isn't going to handle 90-120 in any foreseeable future.

There's actually no point to going above 60FPS with 2D games.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
There's actually no point to going above 60FPS with 2D games.

non-sense, the hooman eye can only reach speeds of up to 30fps, if we could just simply achieve 60fps we could stop time... and if we managed to reach 90 - 120 we could in theory go back in time before we compiled the code to stop ourselves.
I think BYOND allows (or used to allow) tick_lag as low as 0.1, or 100fps.
In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
non-sense, the hooman eye can only reach speeds of up to 30fps

This is kind of inaccurate because the human eye doesn't take "frames" like a camera. I uses a constant stream of light to change the image dynamically over time, starting with the images in your direct focus first and moving outward. This is why 60 fps seems smoother than 30.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Kozuma3 wrote:
non-sense, the hooman eye can only reach speeds of up to 30fps

This is kind of inaccurate because the human eye doesn't take "frames" like a camera. I uses a constant stream of light to change the image dynamically over time, starting with the images in your direct focus first and moving outward. This is why 60 fps seems smoother than 30.

This. I happened to be curious about this very thing myself not even two days ago after playing with GameMaker, as they made a comment in a tutorial about the human eye and FPS.

Long story short, your eyes "see" every thing, but it's not all processed in your immediate consciousness.

I still laughed at the humor though.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
You're at the wrong place

I'm in the right place. The thread just did a segue.
Page: 1 2 3 4