ID:1917157

BYOND Version:508
Operating System:Windows 8 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 44.0.2403.130
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When you do a search for a word in included files, Dream Maker will give you an error and cause Dream Maker to be unselectable (It will select windows or files that are below the Dream Maker window whenever you try to click on dream maker..
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Make 3 different DM script files and have code in them
2. do a search for a word and select included files only
3. watch as an error pops up
4. try to click on dream maker window only to have it select objects under said window.

Alternate way to get error

1.do as above up to number 2.
2. Try to replace the word instead of searching
3. watch an error dialog box pop up
4. try to click the window and end up having it select whatever is below it
5. ????
6. Profit

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
To be able to search all included files without an error, and to be able to use Dream Maker when an error does appear
Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you do not replace or search words
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:
Dont replace or search.
Hrm. I've had some scattered reports of this issue but I've never been able to track it down. Searching files in DM does not cause this to come up for me.

What little I found on Google suggests this is an internal Windows error related to the controls, but I have no idea what specifically causes it.
I'm just gonna note that all of the person's files are compressed with NTFS built-in compression. (That's why some of the folders have blue text)

That might be related.
Interesting! That's something I can test.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
I'm just gonna note that all of the person's files are compressed with NTFS built-in compression. (That's why some of the folders have blue text)

That might be related.

honestly, thinking back. I never actually had this issue come up until recently. I cant remember which byond version it started appearing on but I would say probably any version before 504 i guess

Hrm, compressed files don't seem to trigger it.

Question: What drive is your project stored on? What's the path to it?
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Hrm, compressed files don't seem to trigger it.

Question: What drive is your project stored on? What's the path to it?

its stored on my C: Drive in the documents folder.

C:\Users\Ss4gogeta0\Documents\BYOND\Sources\2 New Games\Its A New Living Online

i dont think that would be an issue either but who knows lol
I am also having this issue. Windows 10, and I have the file itself stored in /documents/github/[project].
This does not happen to me. I am on Win7 64bit and I use the find and replace alllll the time. Byond Version: 508.1299

I bet it is a Win8/Win10 problem. After all, microsoft does love ruining everything (just like all the other corporations).
I do have a win8 rig I could test this on, though. Last time I used it for deving I didn't have any issues that I can remember.
Found that it's not an issue on BYOND 504 and lower.
This error has shown up across multiple operating systems, but the reason why is still unguessable because no one has produced a reliable test case yet.
Seems to be related to BYOND version somehow. A fresh install tends to fix it, as it did for me, but once it pops up if you downgrade to anything above 504 it will still be an issue in my experience.

So likely something concerning updating.
Actually I also doubt it's in 505-506 either. The message that's popping up appears to be tied to the newer runtimes used in 507 and above. But basically all that means is that the same error is probably present, but is failing silently in older versions, which isn't great either.
Well, I threw my few cents into the hat. The easiest way to resolve the primary issue of the whole thing stopping you being able to interact with the window is a fresh install, as far as I can tell.