ID:1917217

(See the best response by Doohl.)
Just wondering how I would go about making my game send an email to a specific address.

Best response
There's a few ways you can do this. You can directly invoke a PHP/CGI command on an HTTP server that sends an email via some external framework. Alternatively, you could come up with a creative way to use shell() to execute a command to do this for you.
My vote would be to go with PHP on this one. It's just such a simple scripting language. Plus shell() is generally frowned upon for various security reasons. It could work, but PHP is just a more solid option.
cool. PHP it is then. thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
W3Schools.com: PHP mail() Function

Here's a good start on the exact function to do this through. I recommend learning PHP as a whole, though, but when you're ready, here's the main part of what you're needing.
Be aware that emails sent through PHP's mail function are most likely to get filtered into someone's spam folder.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Be aware that emails sent through PHP's mail function are most likely to get filtered into someone's spam folder.

Not if it's setup correctly, DKIM, SPF records and a valid domain name will help. Otherwise .. Junk box it is.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Adding onto this, you could use something like http://www.mailgun.com/

Only caveat is you would need access to cURL, which would require shell().

Or .. it would require Lummox to finally add cURL to world.Export().

OR .. develop something in C for use with BYOND to utilise MailGun's API.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:

To be fair, that's probably the simplest and most portable option.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
A.T.H.K wrote:

To be fair, that's probably the simplest and most portable option.

Yep, although .. I don't know what I'm doing in that field so if another kind person with that knowledge could whip up something .. I'm sure a few people would appreciate it.
In response to A.T.H.K
I could, but I'm not really sure the general use it would be. What are the benefits of using the MailGun API? Like, some things people would use it for. I really don't have many ideas on that department.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
I could, but I'm not really sure the general use it would be. What are the benefits of using the MailGun API? Like, some things people would use it for. I really don't have many ideas on that department.

MailGun is only for sending emails.

There's a few upsides to using MailGun, It's free upto 10,000 emails, it has a nice RESTful API, it's one of the only ones that accept request via POST, they've been setup for a long while now and this means mail will more than likely not be sent to JUNK. Although that's subjective to the text in the emails itself and finally they're owned by RackSpace one of the big boys in the hosting world.

http://www.mailgun.com/ - Examples are on the homepage, if you're interested.