ID:1917226

Resolved
Mouse cursors now use the size of their actual icon, and are not limited to world.icon_size.
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
I just did some experimentation with mouse_pointer_icons a bit, and found that mouse_pointer_icon does in fact support mouse cursors larger than 32x32, but it is tied to the world's icon_size.

Currently, I'm having no problems using a 96x96 cursor icon in a project that's using a 96x96 icon_size, but since it's tied to icon_size, obviously pointers are arbitrarily limited to a single tile.

Obviously, since windows cursors seem to support arbitrarily sized icons, it would make sense that the cursor size should be determined by the icon file's size itself.

I don't have an immediate need for this, but it would open the door to some interesting stuff.
I want to add a little comment in regards to this. The mouse cursor doesn't have this strange quirk when using the webclient, but I have seen it in DreamSeeker.
Yeah, the webclient's cursor code is completely different.
Oh... Crap. How does the webclient's cursor work?

Because if it doesn't allow my 96x96 cursors, I'm probably SOL. My current prototype is really meant to be a web-client game.
Whelp... Just tried to test my prototype in the webclient. Almost nothing actually works, so... GG. Will get around to reporting bugs later today.
Yeep. I have a bevy of bug fixes queued up and ready to go, but anything reported later today won't be fixable till Monday. Hopefully 1296 will help with some of your issues at least.
Question: MouseDrag/MouseEntered/MouseExited/MouseMove/MouseDrop don't seem to work at all in the webclient. Are those implemented yet?
In response to Ter13
Those mouse functions do work; I have them working in my test project. If you have a project that doesn't show them working, that'd merit a bug report.
Alright, I'll look into it a bit more.
Bumping this because there have been multiple requests for this over the years, none of them actually given a verdict.
bamp
I'll have to see if there's an easy way to separate our cursor code from the imagelist setup that DS is using. That's really the main impediment here. I haven't looked over the cursor code in a while.
bamp
Any chance that you could take a look at this?

Now that the map editor supports zooming in, I decided to finally switch NEStalgia's assets over from 32x32 to 16x16. The game's HUD system relies heavily on the current state of mouse_pointer_icon, and a 16x16 pointer is just way too small. I expect that I won't be the last person to run into this hurdle, as there aren't very many scenarios in which being limited to a 16x16 icon size for the mouse pointer would be practical.

Note that it's not the pixel size of the canvas itself that is the issue (all of NEStalgia's mouse pointer icons are already technically 16x16 sprites), but the fact that the display size of the mouse_pointer_icon is fixed to output at that exact 16x16 size. If the pixel size of mouse_pointer_icon can't be separated out, a way to simply scale up the size at which the pointer icon is displayed would work too.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Mouse cursors now use the size of their actual icon, and are not limited to world.icon_size.
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to take another look at this right away!
Whaaat. Thats awesome thanks!
Threw another $60 at you. <3
I do my best to take care of the ballers.
In response to Lummox JR
Lmfao.