I'll take a look at the profile; it's possible some of the new big-icon code is in play there and is not behaving correctly. I did see that some debug messages slipped through, and that could play a part as well.
Looks like the rogue debug message was hurting things a little bit. It's hard to get more specific info than that, but take a new look once 1334 is out.
Hmmm. The numbers are still a lot worse than what they were, and it's definitely noticeable without having to record the FPS. Slowdowns are usually their worst when new animation happens on-screen, such as using a spell for the first time (which is something I figured preloading would help with). After the initial use, it doesn't affect FPS as much.

I'm not sure if I have anything helpful to say that I haven't said before. It may help if you tested the FPS yourself in the game directly to see these issues.
I don't know what you're using to track FPS.
Just Chrome's developer tools. To enable the FPS tracker: Tools > More tools > Developer tools > Timeline > Show FPS Meter (http://puu.sh/nTPZn/7edb86e238.png)
Yeah, 1325 performs much better for us than 1344. FPS is consistently 50+ on 1325 whereas 1344 is 20-30, sometimes hitting lows of 5 or less. Tested in both versions to confirm.
Let me know if there are any suspected versions in particular you'd like tested. Maybe we can narrow down which version the webclient performance took a hit in.
I would try 1332 to see how that performs; it predates the server-side regression you saw for movables and also predates the newer big-icon handling on the client side.

It would help to know what ways I can trigger the low-FPS cases, like spells and such, if maybe there's some way I can quickly get to a spot where I can test that. I'd also dearly love a way to skip the intro and go straight into the game, as that's a time suck every time I test.
You should notice the low FPS by just standing around / moving. There's a big difference between 1325 and 1344, but it may be less noticeable for you if your machine is good (mine's pretty average). You can level up your character with F1 and then you can buy spells with the menu (M key).
The optimal version seems to be 1325, but 1344 is more efficient than 1322. Though the latest version while overall better (perhaps?) than 1322 has some weirdness with the FPS: while idle, my FPS is anywhere between 30-50. Very unstable compared to the steady 50-55 idle in 1322. Same for the movement/animation.
Do you mean 1332 or 1322?
Err, 1332. My bad.
I'm trying to buy spells after using LevelUp but all spells are locked. Can you give me better instructions there?

[edit]
I'm still focusing more on the renderer crash report, to see if there's anything I can do to figure that one out, and so far I've got nothing substantive. But as soon as I can I'll get on the FPS foo, and I need more info on how to reliably produce low-FPS conditions.

I also can't stress enough that it would be much easier to investigate issues in Severed World if I had a way to save my character or at least skip the intro. Some debug options to that effect, that I can switch on in the source, would be extremely helpful.
I've paged a version without any cutscenes. Hopefully it's easier to work with.

The first spell in each tree should be unlocked, and the ones that're greyed out cannot be purchased until you progress along the tree--should tell you this if you attempt to buy a locked spell.

You'll notice FPS drops while moving about, using spells, attacking monsters, etc. You can find bees south-west of the spawn and other monsters east in the forest. Whenever objects are moving about on your screen or something new happens there tends to be FPS drops, and the FPS is generally low regardless. It'll become apparent pretty quickly I'm sure.
Do you have a 1334 profile available for me to look at? The 1333 profile is distorted by the debugging that got left in.

[edit]
It might not be necessary. I found a big piece of the puzzle here. Apparently you guys added KEEP_TOGETHER to all atoms, and the webclient was not properly handling that case--it was adding a completely unnecessary filter. I only noticed this because of the new version I was sent with no cutscenes, so the problem didn't appear in the old source.
Oh wow, now I'm noticing the improvements with preloading. It definitely helped. There aren't any nasty drops in FPS now.

I'm not sure if the FPS is better than 1322 overall though. I'll have to compare. I'm noticing that during movement/combat I'm at around 30-40FPS, and I recall consistently being 50+ in 1322, minus the big FPS drops that preloading seems to have taken care of in the latest version.

How is it on your end?
Okay, I'm wrong. The latest version most likely performs better than 1322 in every way. I assumed there was an overall drop in FPS because my machine decided to take a mysterious performance hit these past few days...

So that's good! Big improvements.

Should I get some FPS tests done by other people, or are there other optimizations you intend to make that'd be best to wait for? I'm able to play any game on Kongregate--and any HTML5 game in general-- without a hint of poor FPS, and those are many of the games Severed and other BYOND projects will be competing with. It's important that the FPS is as good as it can be, since ratings mean everything on sites like that, but I'm not sure what the limitations here are and how much you can do. Hopefully you're still confident that it should be able to perform on the same level as DS.

The ideal situation would be even low-end computers rarely dropping below 55FPS.
I would go ahead and get more FPS tests from people. Anyone with poor performance should record a profile, especially if the profile mostly catches the worst-case stuff. (E.g., start recording just before going into a bad situation, then stop just after.) since the profile data gives me percentages to work with, the more it sees bad cases, the more useful the data is.

[edit]
510.1335 was re-released. It's not likely to affect much for you, but still I'd recommend re-downloading.
This was taken with a good ~10 bosses fighting and there was a whole lot of FPS slowdown on both my end and Doohl's, the latter of which has a fairly good computer: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10657252/ 510latest.cpuprofile
Thanks. That profile gave me very good insight, and it looks like one of the improvements I made didn't go far enough. 1336 should behave much better.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11