ID:1917683

So, I've really been trying to think of a kind of project to construct to compliment my particle library. It'll obviously be a single-player game, but I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with different, feasible ideas for what kind of a project to undertake.

Do any of you have any interesting ideas that could translate well into a single-player game? I'd love to hear some refreshing ideas.
Those particles are on the level of stuff I've seen in RPG's like Golden Sun.

I'd definitely suggest doing something like that.
So basically, what has explosions?

Magic skills like balls of fire/energy, explosions, smoke screens, and healing. Beams could have particles coming from them or spinning around them.

I worked on a space ship game where the walls could explode and have gas leaks or fire spraying into the hallways, pushing and/or burning players who came into contact with the spraying particles. You could also have sparks flying, falling, bouncing on the ground.

I also made a poison gas trap, for Ninja Team 2 that spun around and sprayed poison gas when it was activated, knocking out players and guards on contact.
Make a horror dark rpg, you can get a lot of cool blood effects in
I could make particles work in absolutely any game. I'm just looking for fun single-player designs that would give me a good direction to think in.

@Dante
I imagine this horribly grimdark fantasy full of misshapen monsters and lovecraftian horrors. That sounds awesome.

Also thought about doing something in the fashion of a tabletop wargame. I've always been a fan of the genre.
You could do a nice and simple sci-fi game with lots of lazers (imma firin mine) and special effects like engine trails, electrical sparks, neon glow. You could go really 80's sci fi on it.
In response to Zecronious
A retro-style 80's sci-fi game. Haha, I love it!

So, I've really been trying to think of a kind of project to construct to compliment my particle library. It'll obviously be a single-player game, but I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with different, feasible ideas for what kind of a project to undertake.

Do any of you have any interesting ideas that could translate well into a single-player game? I'd love to hear some refreshing ideas.

I think it's better to design a tool for a game then a game for a tool. Save the tool for when you need it by cause.

In response to Sir Quizalot
I consider this sound advice. You may end up spending too much time trying to come up with an interesting game that must make use of your library. On the other hand, it's probably easier to just make a project you're interested in first and applying your library where applicable. In the case of the ladder, the application would come naturally instead of acting a direct requirement.

But anyway, good luck.
Well, that's the thing, I would never design a game around a tool. This is a principle I already understand. The thing is that it really doesn't matter what kind of game I'm developing, I can always find a use for something as monstrously broad as a particle engine. There's really no game I can't make particles work with.

That's why I wasn't asking for single-player games that used particles as some kind of central mechanic. I was just asking for single-player game ideas. Complimenting the library doesn't mean anything when it's something like particles. Sorry if you thought I meant only games that specifically use particles in their mechanics. I was asking for ANY single-player games.
In response to Kats
Ah, understood.
Mind Map-

Catch that particle- your on a quest to find the legendary particle, with a super advanced butterfly net.

Fire Quest- your a wisp of fire trying to survive in a dangerous world that wants to put you out.

Particle Punch- A kick boxing game where your punches power comes from how many particles you have aligned in your cross hairs during the attacks. You can also dodge block.

To name a few. Mind map from these for better ideas.
I really think if I pinched the bridge of my nose any harder, my fingers would be touching...

That's why I wasn't asking for single-player games that used particles as some kind of central mechanic. I was just asking for single-player game ideas.
Something similar to the Alien series. You're investigating the space station that has lost contact. You have and can find lazor/flame thrower weapons. Impact against aliens and objects obviously creates particles. Creating a hole in the station would cause decompression and the player and Alien to be sucked out, particles could be used here.
Ooh, you know what I haven't seen on BYOND that would really benefit from nice particle effects?

A really good metroid-vania style sidescroller.

I tried to make one of my own a while back, before pixel movement was implemented. Looked pretty good.
In response to Kats
Bam Just click refresh.
Either way you should get creative and turn something into what you need.
In response to Bravo1
Bravo1 wrote:
Ooh, you know what I haven't seen on BYOND that would really benefit from nice particle effects?

A really good metroid-vania style sidescroller.

I tried to make one of my own a while back, before pixel movement was implemented. Looked pretty good.

That is actually not a bad idea at all. I've never made a sidescroller, either! I think we may have a winner with this one. ;P
In response to Kats
I'd play it. For a game maker that does games of that style very well.. There's a lack of them.