ID:1918786

(See the best response by Ter13.)
just want to make sure there is no tricks in ensuring basic movement is as efficient as possible. As that will be the main thin players will be doing

Don't bloat the Move proc with uselessness; do things when you need to and it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Best response
It's a lot harder to answer this kind of question than it is to point out things you are already doing that could be done better.
My move is like this currently

Verb/North()
Src.move(bla,bla...)

Than I have verbs for other directions
I assume you're just using default tile-based movement. If that's the case, the only code I would include in the Move() function would be to clean up the jittery movement. Other than that, if you need to do anything super complex, I suggest spawn()ing a new thread so it doesn't stop up Move(). I'd only do that in situations where you really needed it though. Creating a lot of fat, resource intensive threads can destroy you. (I mean resource intensive as in the code inside the thread. Threads themselves aren't resource intensive.)
That post was only slightly less uninformative.
spawn()ing a new thread

Those two words should not be used together. Spawn() doesn't create a new thread.

Further, Move() is waitfor=0, it can't be stopped. If you try to sleep() in a move, it will return whatever value is in ".".

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
spawn()ing a new thread

Those two words should not be used together. Spawn() doesn't create a new thread.

Further, Move() is waitfor=0, it can't be stopped. If you try to sleep() in a move, it will return whatever value is in ".".

Does it not? Hmm. I was always under the impression that it used threading to handle spawn() calls. I guess it just simulates a thread, then?
Not even close.

Read and learn:

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1638359
In response to Ter13
Hmm, that was informative.