ID:1920938

Resolved
Garbage collection didn't scan images properly.
BYOND Version:508
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 44.0.2403.155
Applies to:Webclient

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
animate() seems to stop working completely on images when playing a looping animation for a long time out of tab. I assume this is because of memory release?

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Create an /image object
2. Attach it to the player
3. Animate it with animate()
4. Switch tabs and wait a while
5. Go back to the webclient tab

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

//TODO

Expected Results:
Animations keep animating.

Actual Results:
Animations stop and starting a new animation does not work.

The problem occurs:
Every time.
In other games.
In other user accounts.
On other computers.

When does the problem NOT occur?
Never (on Chrome), if the steps were followed correctly.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
Probably didn't have this problem before DSification, but I'm not sure. I'll test it out later if it matters.

Workarounds:
Refresh the page to relog. Doesn't matter if the player/images get deleted or not, it works again.

Just a simple problem that may get annoying for multi-tasking users, so might as well get it out of the way now. Probably low priority until a webclient game comes out that utilizes the animating of images heavily (like mine).

EDIT: They also stop changing directions in accordance to the player's direction. Client appearance problem, perhaps?
But moving around the map otherwise still works in this case? I feel like I'm going to need a lot more info, including a way of narrowing down "a while".

I can try accelerating the garbage check to see if that makes this easier to detect, as it sounds like it'd likely be related.
The images still follow the player around the map as expected, yes.
So to be clear, this is only images?

I think I might know the problem.
I'm not sure. I never tested it with anything else. I'll check now.

EDIT: Yes, it seems to only be images that suffer from this problem.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Garbage collection didn't scan images properly.
This seems to still happen when changing image icon_states, even without using animate(). I'll make a demo and new bug report sooner or later. For now, I will sleep. Just wanted to bring in into attention beforehand, also as a reminder to myself.