In response to Daemon5532
Ah, but think of the number of times you've dreamt something and it HASN'T happened. :)
well yesterday me and a friend were watching banzai, and we had to guess what this woman was sitting on... and before it had even brought out the list of choices i said square, then the list said square and then she had a red square on her pants, i was rather amazed,
my 2 cents
In response to RaeKwon
RaeKwon wrote:
Miss Cleo is alittle moron i phoned shes so full of crap lol

But not so full that you spent money on the phone call, eh? :P

Guess she got you anyway...
Rcet wrote:
I'm gonna ask a serious question, and I just know Sariat is going to reply with a not-so-witty comment ;)

Has anyone here in the BYOND community displayed psychic ability? I know everyone has had at least one psychic event. Wether its a preminition, or another way, but I mean constant psychic ability. For the past several days I have been seeing things and they have been comming true... Even sometimes I can tell when things are going to happen. I know half of you think "That would be so awesome!" but to be honest, it's freaky.

I don't think anyone in recorded history has ever dispayed "constant psychic ability".

I have in the course of my life seen things, mostly coincidences in ideas or things like which songs are running through which people's heads, that would probably be best explained by some sort of low-level psychic phenomenon, but there's really no good proof either way.

For my part I'm inclined to believe that psi is a real means of communication, but one that probably has a very low signal-to-noise ratio (i.e., much more noise than signal) that the brain more or less abandons in early childhood in favor of much clearer senses. I'd guess it's probably used to give children a very basic understanding of the world around them and particularly of how to interact with their family. If this is true, then I believe strong psychic connections between adults would be very difficult due to the differences in experience between two people; everyone has their neurons set up a little differently. There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence that where such connections exist, they're temporary and arise from more of a loose "sync" in thought processes.

If my guess is anywhere close to correct, it would explain why consistent use of this ability is pretty much unheard of. There are some, like Kreskin, who say they've developed it strongly. They may be right, but there could be other explanations too, especially if physical contact is involved. I certainly never put any stock into psychics who claim to have picked up "energy" from an object that links them to an event that happened in the past; I very much doubt the phenomenon is anything more than ephemeral, taking place in the here-and-now only, and the only thing I question is how localized it is.

Lummox JR
Of course, how did you think I got those monkies to follow me in the first place? I don't bribe them like Foomer and his dirty little antics.....

And yes, I can figure out code. I also see 3 people that nobody else sees. So I chose to ignore them. And I won a Noble Prize for being cool. And they made a movie about me. But the guy that played me couldn't live up to my handsome stature.

-ST
In response to Rcet
The only psychic I believe is real is John Edward.

I think psychic ability may be possible, but I don't think he has it. His act is a time-honored trick called "cold reading." You can find more information via Google.
I dreamed all the important events in the 5th season of Buffy back during Season 4.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Lesbian Assassin wrote:
I dreamed all the important events in the 5th season of Buffy back during Season 4.

With as much as you dream about Buffy, hitting on the right plot lines was probably inevitable. If you play the lottery 100 million times a night you're almost bound to pick a winner by the end of the month. ;)

Lummox JR
I'm rather disinclined to believe in it at all... I suppose there's a possibility in some sort of telepathic communication (as brain waves are a form of energy...and that energy could potentially be picked up outside of the brain by the brain of another... I basically agree with Lummox on this one, though... it's probably too weak for us to pick up and understand...)

I definitely do not believe in forseeing the future or seeing the dead, though... I believe that the future does not exist yet (the only thing that exists is the present)...so there's no possible way anyone could ever see what will happen... There's nothing there to see...

I will concede that it may be possible for someone to come up with an educated guess as to what the near future holds based on gathering information on the present (because what is happening now defines what will happen later)... But since every single change in every single particle of the universe slightly affects how the "future" is created...one can never be completely accurate... It's just too much information to know, and too complicated to keep track of...

But as for looking into a crystal ball (or being hypnotized or whatever...lol) and seeing a clear picture of something "destined" to happen next week is impossible in my eyes...

As for seeing spirits, I do not believe in spirits to begin with... I do not beleive we have a "soul" or any other form of energy that can manifest itself after we die... I feel that we just cease to exist... So therefore, one cannot see the dead... (don't give me that wisecrack about going to a funeral...lol)

However, I have had a LOT of vivid cases of deja-vu... Some that lasted much longer than fleeting glimpses... Some that have gone on even after I realized that I was experiencing them...and I got to watch as my thoughts played themselves out as the event happened around me... Even to the point that I felt that I knew what would happen next (and often I was right)...

But do I think that's some form of psychic ability? Do I think I was literally predicting the future? Or perhaps re-living some past life?

No...

It would seem to me that the brain fools us... The information it picks up from the outside world takes time to interpret and turn into conscious thoughts... However, the actual gathering of sensory information happens a lot faster than it can be translated into something we can understand... I.E. We really see the apple long before our brain tells us it's an apple...

So that means that somewhere along the lines, our brain may be forming a vague idea of what's going on even before we consciously know what's going on... Just enough of a headstart that it feels as if what is happening has happened before, and that we know what will happen from it...

Only because our full mental picture comes into view a bit later than our first inkling... That may only be a few milliseconds of difference... But it's probably enough that we can form the idea of "deja vu"...

So again, I state that I have no faith whatsoever in psychic ability...

I will say that my mother has an uncanny ability to "predict" when something bad is about to happen... But she only tells us after the fact... Like when my cat was hit by a car... She later told us that just a day before it happened, she had a feeling that something bad was going to happen...

It would seem that he had a premonition...right? Wrong... Sure, she may have had some feeling that something was going to go bad... That could have been caused by anything... It was only a mere coincidence that something actually did happen... And once that connection was made in her mind, she was convinced, and told us about it... How many times does she have bad feelings and nothing happens? Only the "successful" tries are brought to light...

In response to Lummox JR
With as much as you dream about Buffy, hitting on the right plot lines was probably inevitable. If you play the lottery 100 million times a night you're almost bound to pick a winner by the end of the month. ;)

If you played the lottery 100 million times a night, you'd overstep the number of tickets needed by far too many, and be in the hole around 3 billion dollars. =P
In response to Lummox JR
Actually, this was only right after I started watching Buffy (yes, yes, my secret shame: I only started watching a few seasons ago). I don't attribute this to psychic ability, though, but instead to the phenomenon that is responsible for my Buffy obsession: my brain works along the same lines as those possessed by Joss and company.
In response to Gughunter
I don't think it's a trick.. He is WAY too accurate.. He's not like others that do the "I'm picking up a bird..", "My brother had a brid", "uh, yeah thats him.".

He is specific. I saw one where it was something like this:

John: Someone is comming through as military.. Navy.
Person: My brother was in the navy
John: His name Robert?
Person: yes...
John: I'm seeing an injury in thier rib.. but it wasn't an accident.
Person: Yes, him and my boyfriend got in a fight
John: Did he have brown hair, about 5'6", green eyes..?
Person: yes!
John: ...Are you Jenna?

Of course, she was. I don't see how he could pinpoint these things.. Also he brings shtuff out that they never told anyone (the sitter(client)).

-Rcet
OH WAIT!

Last year, while lighting bottled rockets in a coke can, I saw the rocket shoot at me in my mind, so I hit the deck and sure enough...the coke can tipped backwords and shot a rocket where my face was...
Page: 1 2