ID:1921588

Applies to:

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Simply put, I'd like a small feature that allows developers (maybe only certain developers?) bypass the webclient's secure.byond integration with a world variable, forcing everyone to log in on a guest account.
Turning off the login prompt or BYOND's login screen is a great idea, you've pretty much said that but I feel the login screen should be skipped as well.

We're coming to a point (especially with the webclient) where having a BYOND key shouldn't be required nor should a login screen from BYOND.
I am planning on doing some work on this interface soon, so I'll consider some options for that.
Couldn't the 'client.authenticate' variable do this?
Not in the webclient yet, no.
I'm saying, it could be utilized to accomplish this without having to add something new to the language.
Some control over the ads too would be great, it's awkward as hell showing off my work to other people on my phone and having them see ads and all that other stuff popping up.
There's been talk of letting developers disable ads on their games -- for a cost. Outside of that, the ads are a required part of keeping BYOND afloat.
It would be nice to see when a BYOND member hosts, they get to disable ads, other than that even if there's some available method such as "GOLD" BYOND member or whatever ends up happening, I'm willing to comply. I just hope this works its way up the priority list.
That would kind of defeat the purpose of the ads, if it only took one membership to disable them in games they host.

The idea before was to let developers buy [x] amount of ad-free logins for [price] for the game as a whole. BYOND members would obviously still be able to disable ads on their end regardless.
I'm not too sure buying ad free logins would be very efficient. If there was a way to make it so that you could only host 1 ad free game per BYOND membership account, then I could see that working out.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
The idea before was to let developers buy [x] amount of ad-free logins for [price] for the game as a whole. BYOND members would obviously still be able to disable ads on their end regardless.

I can see this working, however I'd rather see a flat fee.
1 Month, 6 Months, 1 Year, Etc.

Also, I'd like the pricing options to be similar to a BYOND Membership for the same time periods if it was done this way.

It would be inexpensive enough for most of the community and would definitely bump up BYOND's revenue.

My main concern here is it being expensive to disable ads.
I think us over at Severed World would be more than happy to buy ad-free uptime, considering we're not going to be using BYOND as a middleman for our monetization / user authentication systems.
In response to Doohl
Doohl wrote:
buy ad-free uptime

Yes please. I want to throw money at BYOND for this as well. Tom was promising it forever ago. :3