In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
I would like to add that I work on original games for free just for the opportunity to sign my name on them. Assuming there's someone to do art because I'm still learning.

I suggest going the IALO route when it comes to Rips. Make something unique thats not related to the IP.
In response to Ss4gogeta0
You're absolutely right. I think if people want to make a fan game then their best option is to abstract the IP, going from Star Wars to 'some game about men with energy swords and starships'.

In my original comment was I drawing a distinction between inspired games, fan games and rips.

I'm more than happy to work on a game that's inspired from one or more other games even if it barely at times avoids copyright. The key is that it must inevitably not break copyright for me to work on it.
You're absolutely right. I think if people want to make a fan game then their best option is to abstract the IP, going from Star Wars to 'some game about men with energy swords and starships'.

Well, I decided that instead of Saiyans shooting energy beams, that it'd make more sense if the energy beams were actually magical spells. Then I started calling the Saiyans wizards, because that just made sense.

Well, the energy beams didn't make a lot of sense, so I decided to give the wizards wands.

Before long, I realized that rather than punching bags to get stronger, wizards probably needed to study specific wand motions and read a lot of books on spells. Reading books is tedious, so I decided to let players do that while AFK.

Now, just sitting around on King Kai's planet reading books didn't really work, so I decided it'd make more sense in the setting to create a school for wizards and witches. I liked the idea of snake way, but it didn't make a lot of sense for getting to that school, so I made it into a train.

So, I decided the dragonballs weren't fitting in this mythos anymore, so I added three items of extreme magical power that would grant their wielders a decisive advantage. One was a cloak that made you invisible, one was a stone that could ressurrect images of the dead, and one was a wand that couldn't be beaten in combat.

And that's the story all about how I got sued by JK Rowling.

Being original is hard.
Best post I've read tonight, hands down. Thanks for the funny read, Ter13. xD
I mean if they would make these games for us we wouldn't have to. Like I swear if Akira and who ever makes the DBZ games would make an online game (not DBO DBZ should never be a click and auto attack game) I wouldn't even be making my DBZ game. But no they only make these console games and Xenoverse was a nice try but got boring quick + spammers and not exactly the same MMO type of feel.
What if I told you the reason an open world sandbox DBZ game isn't being made is because it's basically about the worst idea ever?
What o.O I love all Legacy of Goku and Buu's Fury... Keep them assumptions to yourself. But yes I do hate games like WoW and Runescape I prefer games such as Tera and Dragon's Nest.

EDIT: I don't know if I misread what you typed @Yut Put but Legacy of Goku 1 is shit compared to the rest but it still was a decent play.
In response to Ter13
Ehh I'd enjoy it as long as its more based on dragon ball where energy skills aren't used as much.
smh
LoG was deeply flawed in a lot of respects. The art was also pretty atrocious.

That said... I don't think they were the worst GBA games I ever played. They just would have been massive failures without the Dragonball franchise to carry them.
Lol dude I don't care we not the same people I don't care about getting all deep in game design and all that shit. Was a good game to play through and was pretty fun for what it was. I don't play games to look for flaws like most of the ppl here on BYOND. I notice them but damn everything cant be perfect.
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Lol dude I don't care we not the same people I don't care about getting all deep in game design and all that shit. Was a good game to play through and was pretty fun for what it was. I don't play games to look for flaws like most of the ppl here on BYOND. I notice them but damn everything cant be perfect.

I couldn't beat log with out cheat codes... Fighting snakes in a forest was... So much fun.
In response to Southv2
yea LoG 1 isn't the best but was still fun even tho all its faults.
never actually played LOG... my time spent on GBA was with KO the kangaroo and Advance wars with a little pokemon
A little Pokemon? Explains the bad taste.
the only gba game worth playing besides Pokemans was Fire Emblem, nuff said
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story.

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town.

Zelda: Minish Cap.

Kirby & the Amazing Mirror.

Wario Land 4.

Metroid: Zero Mission.

Golden Sun.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Metroid Fusion.

Advance Wars.

All great games. GBA was a terrible era for game art, but did manage to pump out a few rare gems.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story.

My favorite game ever 1 and 2. wish I got to play 3 but it was JAP only.
Page: 1 2 3