ID:1922099

Keeping the news short today, I have one major announcement: The webclient will, in the next build, finally support multiple map controls. This was one of the last big "but DS has this" features standing in the way of some games making use of the webclient.

There is one caveat that I'm still hoping to work around: maptext uses the settings of the main map for font and color info, because of the way icons are built. This may be a relatively easy obstacle to surmount; I'll have to look into it further.

I'm aiming for Monday for the new release, and that should include a couple of other bug fixes. I believe I'm going to make that the stable 508 release, and that should clear the way to work on 509 and its long-awaited feature creep. The webclient will still be considered a beta feature, but I think the worst of the DSification issues are basically shaken out now.

I'd like to thank those of you who are continuing to support BYOND through your memberships and donations. Your support is really a big deal. Please pass the word around and encourage those who aren't yet Members to consider signing up. It's not a lot to get a Membership, and it keeps BYOND going.
Yes, I'm so excited for this! Multiple map controls in the web client at last! Just woke up and great news to start my day! Thanks, Lummox!
We're still experiencing FPS woes with the webclient when playing Severed World, and that doesn't seem to be limited to just myself and Doohl either. Do you have plans of how to bring it up to speed with DS?
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
We're still experiencing FPS woes with the webclient when playing Severed World, and that doesn't seem to be limited to just myself and Doohl either. Do you have plans of how to bring it up to speed with DS?

Does this have to do with movement? I was testing a little project I was working on for DS in the web client, and everything seemed to be fine with the exception of the movement going from normal to choppy while moving.
So when you say DS are you referring to the Nintendo DS?
In response to Dakumonki
Dakumonki wrote:
So when you say DS are you referring to the Nintendo DS?

Dream Seeker. Troll or naw?
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:

Did 1297 help at all by no longer drawing blank area icons?

I'm aware the FPS is still an issue and intend to keep working on it, although it's a difficult thing because web apps are hard (perhaps impossible) to profile adequately.

One of the things I can try is switching the icon sort to Timsort, which is likely to outperform the built-in dual-pivot quicksort in this case. I also want to look at the map tick timer and see if it's misbehaving at all in high-stress environments; it's not inconceivable that either it's dropping ticks, or it's merely getting out of sync with the server.

Finally, I think I need to look into ways of improving how the icon objects are copied to the stage control. For the most part they should be avoiding any expensive operations in favor of leaving things alone, but there may be some room for improvement in this area.
I've tried using the webclient recently and it was just a jumpy, blurry mess. And this was for a brand new environment being built for playing with the webclient.

Just chiming in. I think it's great that it's progressing and some people seem to be able to use it with no problems, but its not worth the trouble in my experience.
If the webclient isn't working for you, do us all a favor and report the issues!

So far, though, the webclient's been mostly really stable and playable for me. I've had some rough patches with DSification but that was to be expected, it's new and buggy.
1297 was definitely a big improvement, though not to the point where I can play without a lot of jitter and client-side lag. We'll be able to get a clearer picture of how things are right now in general once we test more openly, which will at least be within a week, or hopefully the next few days.

Good stuff as always, anyway. Happy to hear that you have a game plan for improving on the FPS.
I found an issue in DS related to maptext that'll be fixed in 1298. That could be part of it. I'll try some of your projects myself in DS to check as well.
I'm delaying the next build because I was testing one of Yut Put's projects and found a number of really strange issues in the webclient that need addressing. (No crashes, although in Holy Grail I can't get past the Join screen; the webclient does.) There appear to be some issues with screen_loc parsing in particular that need fixing.
508.1298 is up. It's still technically a beta, as there's an issue I want to pin down that Doohl reported. The Holy Grail problems in both DS and the webclient are fixed. (Can't necessarily say anything about crashing, but as always it's important to report any crash details in Bug Reports or Beta Bugs. There was one issue fixed in 1298 that could cause DS crashes, and it didn't get a note in the release notes.)

Hoping that I can have the stable release 508.1299 on Friday, given a good tail wind.
Aw man, I say the title and thought we were finally getting native support for multiple map files. lol

Ah well, great to see progress as always! Sorry I can't be around to help you guys test like I'd like to. Personal life is pretty crazy right now.
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Unwanted4Murder wrote:
Aw man, I say the title and thought we were finally getting native support for multiple map files. lol

You can already do this.

I think they meant multiple map controls in the web client.
Doh, I forgot to put multiple maps in the release notes.
I meant something along the line of a native version of swapMaps. Unless this is already possible?
In response to Unwanted4Murder
Native map saving and loading isn't in place yet, but it's on my wish list. I want to build in an easier way to manage this.