The maps you posted are not visually appealing.

I'm going to guide you through this. One sentence at a time. Why aren't they visually appealing? I'd also illustrate it, but I'm not sure you'll actually phonic out what I'm saying to you if I give you nice pictures to look at.

Sum it up in ONE sentence, please. What is the key issue with these maps that makes them unappealing?
In a single sentence. Too much open space and monotony.

Here is an example of what one of those maps might look like if it was used in an actual Pokemon game.
http://i.imgur.com/rawzGmh.jpg
Now tell me this is visually appealing.

The sad thing is, after looking at that picture some more I've realized something. This is how the vast majority of BYOND games look like.
The Magic Man wrote:
In a single sentence. Too much open space and monotony.

I wrote this in the first post you refused to read, yet felt the need to respond to.

Ter13 wrote:
The sheer size of these maps combined with the gameplay mechanics of pokemon itself just make the maps completely retardedly oversized for no good reason.

There's nothing wrong with each individual segment of these maps. However, when taken as a whole, they demonstrate a serious lack of understanding of repeatable themes, space usage, and purpose.

...functionally worthless because the artist didn't understand the way that players would interact with the space they are creating.

And when I tried to reiterate what I said further down after pointing out that you didn't bother to read:

Ter13 wrote:
...functionally completely antithetical to the style of game that Pokemon is.

It's really annoying to be talked at, rather than to. You aren't even disagreeing with me. You are disagreeing with something you think I said because you didn't even give me the respect of reading my post. What that tells me is that you don't care about anyone's opinion, and can't even fathom the idea that someone other than yourself can have anything of value to say.

Welcome to the conversation. I'm sure, as per usual, you'll completely fail to recognize and own the fact that you aren't actually reading what anyone else has said, just like you did in this thread:

http://www.byond.com/ forum/?post=1450705&page=2#comment8727547

It shouldn't take four posts and an entire page of pointing it out to you to get you to admit that you didn't read what I said.
In response to Ter13
I never said the maps are too big. I said they have too much open space and are monotonous.
I will admit, in a lot of cases too much open space and monotony are caused by maps simply being too big, but big maps do not inherently have lots of open space/monotony.

The problem with those maps isn't the size of them. They are simply designed poorly. One way to fix that is to make them smaller, but the better way would be to implement a design that makes more and better use of the space.
The Magic Man wrote:
One way to fix that is to make them smaller, but the better way would be to implement a design that makes more and better use of the space.

Ter13 wrote:
...functionally worthless because the artist didn't understand the way that players would interact with the space they are creating.

However, when taken as a whole, they demonstrate a serious lack of understanding of repeatable themes, space usage, and purpose.

It's like I can see the future!

Dude, it's really not that hard to admit you didn't read a post. I actually read yours. You don't need to keep telling me what you said. It's interesting that I can keep quoting myself to point this out, though without any added context. Conversations shouldn't work like this.

How can you honestly spend this much time arguing with your own imagination and not get that what you think was said... Just wasn't?

The saddest part, is that an argument has carried on this long when no actual disagreement happened. This god damn community. Again, you do realize how stupid this entire thing is, right? We're not even disagreeing. I'm trying to get through to you that we're not disagreeing, you just insist that we are.

Here's a play-by-play of what happened here:

Ter13: "I like horses."
The Magic Man: "No you don't. You like horses."
Ter13: "Didn't I just say I liked horses?"
The Magic Man: "No, I told you that you like horses."
Ter13: "Dude, I explicitly said I like horses."
The Magic Man: "I never said you love horses. I said you like horses."
Ter13: "FFS, That's what I'm saying. Why is this happening?"
The Magic Man: "Because you don't know what you are talking about. You like horses."
Ter13: "Are you a bot?"
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I disagree.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/018/6/2/ Pallet_Town_by_CaptainArcane.jpg

http://orig00.deviantart.net/851f/f/2009/018/8/2/ route_1_by_captainarcane.jpg

http://orig15.deviantart.net/4af9/f/2009/018/2/c/ route_2_by_captainarcane.jpg

http://orig08.deviantart.net/683b/f/2009/018/b/5/ route_3_by_captainarcane.jpg

The guy who made these maps wasn't actually all that bad at environment design. The trouble is that he didn't understand his medium. The sheer size of these maps combined with the gameplay mechanics of pokemon itself just make the maps completely retardedly oversized for not good reason.

Route 1 is a mile and a half of Pidgeys and Rattata. Why in god's name do I want to walk through ten minutes of a zone that's completely worthless to me except as a source of the two worst pokemon in the game?

There's nothing wrong with each individual segment of these maps. However, when taken as a whole, they demonstrate a serious lack of understanding of repeatable themes, space usage, and purpose.

Environment design is a real thing that takes skill and a full understanding of the game you are making environments for to really excel at.

Otherwise you wind up with visually well-executed map design being functionally worthless because the artist didn't understand the way that players would interact with the space they are creating.

There's at least something to be said for people that have the patience and understanding for designing good maps.

What happened to that project? I remember years ago when I used to visit the pokecom forums, that game was ridiculously hyped. Did it actually come out or did it go the way of all the other unfinished projects?
They never got past the first three routes because Captain Arcanine went AWOL in 2009. They've claimed to still be in active development, but next to nothing has been done, and the team has been making a lot of promises about stuff working that hasn't even remotely been shown.

Doesn't matter what happens to the project, because their developers are all delusional. They are trying to make an open world pokemon MMO with every region completely remapped in a massive open-world style, etc.

Basically, they don't know what they are doing, don't understand that their ideas are terrible, and don't understand that the work they have shown highlights how bad their ideas are. They just can't figure out that what they are trying to make 1) isn't doable, and 2) is fundamentally flawed from a game design perspective.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
First of all, don't ever use Pidgey's name in vain like that. Pidgey was my strongest Pokeman I ever did raise. I watched him grow from a peon Pidgey, to intermediate Pidgeotto, all the way to Arch Bishop Pidgeot. He flew me all over Kanto wherever I needed to go. He was by my side during battles with my rival. He stood in my corner when my back was against the wall against the Elite Four. Rest in pieces my little Pidgey, your loyalty won't be lost in the sands of time, never shall I forsake thy kindness.

Secondly of all, the reason why Route 1 had Pidgey ( as well as there being a Spearow in Route 22 ) is because the player is tasked with running through a zone full of random encounters and trainer battles against bug Pokemans. Bird Pokemans are super effective against bug Pokemans, and you will need a flying Pokeman with you 80% of the game so you can travel throughout the game conveniently using Fly, so it makes perfect sense to steer the player into catching a flying-type early on in the game, and then providing the player with a zone in which it can easily gather a crap ton of experience.

Rattata is indeed a weak Pokemans, however he is located on Route 1, which is the area you begin the game in. Why on Earth would they put the game's most valuable Pokemans in Route 1? Did you expect to run into Mewtwo a few minutes upon beginning the game? Did you want a wild Dragonite to appear? YOU WANT GYARADOS IN THE FIRST ROUTE, BROSKI???

my pidgeot was a god, only rivaled by my charizard... Rest in paradise, adonis the Pidgeot... 1997 - 2002

anyway, I enjoy mapping. its pretty fun to see my visions come to life. the only issue is time consumption. I spend hours perfecting the maps...
I put fly on Doduo. I mean, it doesn't even have wings. HOW DOES IT FLY? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I put fly on Doduo. I mean, it doesn't even have wings. HOW DOES IT FLY? IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Doduo is a psychic. it doesnt need wings, it can fly with its mind...

in Gen 2, I upgraded to a Noctowl but still had a pidgeotto on deck.

Feraligatr, Noctowl, and Ho-Oh were my strongest 3
Swallow ftw?
Notice how no one answered rod yet lol
I know right. Not one damn person answers my question. I just get a bunch of Nerd Pokemon spam.

Byond's Gangsta
You probably aren't going to find a decent mapper around these parts. Scope out RPGMaker forums and see if you can draw someone in that's got an eye for detail.
In response to Rod5
Rod5 wrote:
I know right. Not one damn person answers my question. I just get a bunch of Nerd Pokemon spam.

Byond's Gangsta

sorry i get emotional when people sneak diss my main bird pokemans. i aint cut from dat cloff.
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Doduo is actually normal type thank you very much. fucking pleb.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

Look at that Dodou ASS. God damn, Empirez, don't let that slip by you now.
I still think u should do it urself look at some maps online and draw it out on paper if u can't rely on others the best best thing is to do it urself
Rod5 wrote:

Byond's Gangsta

pokemon something every nigga in the 90s grew up with. just like DBZ. ask any nigga about pokemon r/b/y/g/s/c and they will tell you that shit aint even nerdy.

besides, I only map for my own projects.
In response to Ss4gogeta0
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Rod5 wrote:

Byond's Gangsta

pokemon something every nigga in the 90s grew up with. just like DBZ. ask any nigga about pokemon r/b/y/g/s/c and they will tell you that shit aint even nerdy.

besides, I only map for my own projects.

Then ask them about anything past gen 2 and you'll be a faggot. Nostalgia is the only thing that keeps them from dissing something from their childhood. Let's not pretend here. Pokemon is pretty fucking nerdy.

So is DBZ, but that gets even more wiggle room than Pokemon because every male in the entire population of earth watched it at some point. Like, if you saw a 30 year old watching Pokemon you'd think it's pretty odd. If you saw a 30 year old watching Goku kick ass and chew bubble gum, they'd bat an eye at you but then walk away.
Page: 1 2 3 4