ID:1923249

I am a complete noob at linux could and cannot seem to get the byond program to install so that I can actually launch it. I am on ubuntu 14.04
Everything you need to know is included in the 'readme' file included with the Linux version of BYOND, if you have any issues outside of that you can check this very forum for help.

Keep in mind, the Linux version of BYOND only hosts games, it doesn't actually play them.
But, you could use WINE or a VM. A few issues I have is with the latest Ubuntu build of wine is that internet explorer doesn't like Google, or BYOND's login (including other websites), and I have no idea on how to fix it, so...if anyone know what's up with that. Let me know. But, you can still compile WINE, which I am trying to do right now. They really should start compiling WINE to the latest update for Ubuntu because not everyone knows how to compile or just can't find a work around when something doesn't work. It shouldn't be too complicated for the WINE community to do it for us. Quite annoying, but, yeah. Slightly venting about that. It's on WINE 1.7.44 but the latest is 1.7.50.

EDIT: By the way. Only Wine 1.6 will work (unless compiling the latest version), but Wine 1.6 has font bugs which is annoying. So, I suggest a VM right now until they officially update Wine for Ubuntu. But, you can find tutorials on how to easily compile for Wine.
I've been having trouble running BYOND on Archlinux w/ WINE, seems like it might be something IE-related, but I haven't tried very seriously to explore fixes.
In response to Doohl
Apparently it's not a IE Internet connection problem like I thought it would be. They updated the deb package to 1.7.50 last night! IE seems to work for all websites. Before it were only working for bing, BYOND (but not the login), so it was limited to what the DNS (I have no idea) could connect to.

But, what you can do is get PlayOnLinux, try an old 1.7 version (I am using 1.7-leagueoflegends one), and it works fine (even when IE doesn't work fine). Still can't get on SL2, what crap is this. Why does THIS have to be this way 'specially when Linux Mint decided to lie to me (saying it was only going to replace my Ubuntu partition, but took over EVERYTHING! ARGG! ALL OF MY PROJECTS POOFED Q_Q)