ID:1924222

BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 44.0.2403.157
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
(Tested with Spacestation 13) In times of gameplay when chat messages are coming in rapidly, or long messages that take up multiple lines come in, Dreamseeker freezes and hangs for up to a minute or so depending on message size. It can be observed sometimes typing the messages out like a marquee in the chat too. Selecting any of the chat text is very finnicky and at times, the chat will not keep scrolling to new messages when scrolled to the bottom.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Join any Spacestation 13 game on Windows 10, BYOND 507.1286
2. Observe lag spikes from long-length messages and hanging from big text as well.

Expected Results:
Chat text will appear instantaneously, without lag or hangup.
Actual Results:
Chat appears to be a very strenuous, difficult task for dreamseeker, hanging it up with long messages and lag spikes with high message frequency.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time. I have reinstalled BYOND and reset Internet Explorer 10 settings, and have tried disabling ClearType.
In other games? Untested.
In other user accounts? Likely.
On other computers? Unlikely.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When the window is out of focus, not in use.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
I haven't played it since a few months ago, on Windows 7. Other Windows 10 users have confirmed they -don't- have this problem.

Workarounds:
None available.
I've seen this issue on other games as well. When someone sends a super long message it will hang the game of everyone who sees the message for a few seconds.
The shocker is really how temperamental it seems to be. Other folks with equally-modern PCs on Windows 10 don't get this, I'm led to believe it has to do with internet explorer's richtext stuff for chat.
Internet Explorer isn't used for the chat or the rich edit stuff.
Well, whatever the platform is for chat seems to be the source of the problem. That's just my guessing.
There's definitely a problem with text related stuff. For whatever reason. Some messages, if they're long enough, wont even account for length of text and send the message regardless. That is another thing that was happening on some of the games I was playing.
In response to Kyle2120
Kyle2120 wrote:
I've seen this issue on other games as well.

Are there games it doesn't happen on?
I can recall one game I've played where I experienced similar issue but it only happened there and never on any other games I was on.

Another question that should be asked is whether this happens locally or just in hosted games.

I've been experiencing this problem for a while now. I've tried clearing my cache, reinstalling byond, etc, but nothing seems to work.

Specifically, it seems to occur only when the chatbox has focus, i.e. when clicking on a link in the chatbox.