ID:1924571

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
So most particularly severed worlds i know uses java a lot. Just wondering why you wouldnt just use screen objects, and what are the benefits for it. What can i do extra? is it worth my time? Than how can i get into the basics?
Best response
They use javascript, not Java. There's a large difference.
As Nad said, java isn't used. Only javascript (you can also use jquery). Now you may ask what is the purpose of using that language? Well, there are some stuff that you can't code with the byond language. For example, I remember that there was a post on this forums asking how to get the ping of a player. Well, that can't be done with the DM so he/she used javascript to accomplish that goal. Another example is: Imagine that you want to add a keypress detection system. You could use javascript and/or jquery to do that. Of course these are just small examples of what u can do with javascript. You can learn javascript by experimenting with it by yourself.Check the overflow forums and w3schools site (I totally recomend it to you)
Yup. JavaScript is client-sided, so the huge difference is server CPU usage. Other benefits include a familiar UI scripting language, better/easier effects (for less CPU usage), jQuery, and much more. I agree that w3schools is a good place to start.
now how does one use java script in byond when i start learning it.

lets say i have a java script
var/javascript="bla"

where would this than go
var/javascript = {"
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.3 /jquery.min.js"></script> //If you want to use jquery you can use google's
or microsoft's jquery lib. This one is from google
<script>

//Your javascript / jquery script goes here

</script>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>
"}
i see with browse you can cause java script to open up in a seperate window. Is it easy to make it just appear on screen like severed world seems to have. Or is that just an illusion of being on screen
Severed World is using the webclient, it uses javascript to manipulate the window the webclient is drawn into so it gains access to all sorts of fancy options.
I'm sorry but what do you mean by "Or is that just an illusion of being on screen"?
In response to Misticone
doesnt matter nadrew answered my question. Is it hard to do that?
or is there a place i can learn to do that with the webclient
In response to Misticone
but an illusion would be that they are seperate windows but made to look like they arent