ID:1924853

Information Update: Switch to 1.7.29 because it works and it's updated. To have a perfect BYOND interface (where it shows a scroll-bar and your friends.) install dotnet 1.1 that fixed that issue up!

So, this is a little tutorial on how to play on Linux nowadays since BYOND crashes on WINE after some point of the 1.7.30 series (1.7.38 was told to have a golden performance but it crashes on 1.7.38).
I use 1.7.28 because it works well, and the fonts matches best on there (I'll link the best way to use fonts for WINE. I also have no idea if 1.7.29 works, but hopefully it does. You can mess around with that.
First off, I only know on how to do it on Ubuntu based distributions. So, if you are using a Linux OS that isn't based on Ubuntu, then I can't help. Sorry (but if you can get PlayOnLinux, that's all you need really).

Make sure before starting this tutorial to open configure wine.

Step 1: Mentioned before, you just need PlayOnLinux. It will install WINE for you. All you will need to do is use the terminal for the WINE installation (Not so sure about this, but I couldn't get BYOND to work without doing this for some reason, so just try it).

Step 2: Type in: winetricks wsh56 wsh57 jscript mfc42 vcrun6 (or copy and paste. Also, please choose 'ja' that means yes when that pops up).

Step 3: winetricks ie7 winetricks ie8

Step 4: Please, open up PlayOnLinux (ignore the WINE that's installed, only pay attention to the one that are install). After opening up PlayOnLinux, you will need to click on "Install A Program" and at the very bottom, left-side of the screen you will see "Install A None-Listed Program". Once you click on that, choose "new virtual drive>32-bit system>choose the BYOND setup and install.

Step 5: We're not done yet! What you need to do now is manage the Wine versions. Go to Tools>Manage Wine Versions. Then scroll to 1.7.28 then install that.

Step 6: OK, few more things you still have to do. You need to configure, go to the virtual drive. Install a component. Install wsh56 wsh57 mfc42 vcrun6 then Internet Explorer 8.

Step 7: Stay on the configure screen, then click general and change the wine version to 1.28.1.

Step 8: Then, on the configure screen, stay on the general tab and "Make A New Shortcut" choose 'byond' then it will show up on your desktop (unless you use Elementary OS like I do). Once you're done with that, exit out the configure screen then run BYOND because you should now be able to play BYOND games, make games (not sure if hosting works, please let me know if hosting works on WINE.)
Sorry, I forgot to mention the fonts. Right click on the BYOND icon on PlayOnLinux and go to the application directory. You should be able to get to the Windows folder from there, and download and paste ONLY THE FONTS NOT FOLDER to the fonts folder in Windows. (Windows>Fonts). http://www.4shared.com/zip/JOXR97t9/ Windows-Original-Fonts.html?locale=en

P.S. Only game I know that crashes is SL and SL2, and I can't find a fix around unless the developer messages me back on what they may use in their game that could cause it to crash like that. I'll let you know soon as possible if I find the fix if you like to role-play and play on those games. But other role-play games should be working.
Neat! Will try on my Arch Linux laptop and report back.
Please do! I am sure people rather not run Windows in VM just to play BYOND!

You can also host! : ^)

Information Update: Switch to 1.7.29 because it works and it's updated. To have a perfect BYOND interface (where it shows a scroll-bar and your friends.) install dotnet 1.1 that fixed that issue up!
The instructions are a bit... weird. I can't follow them chronologically (and not because I'm using a non-debian based distro), so I can't get it to work.
That's a ton of work just to get a small program to run correctly.
In response to Doohl
It should be working. Make sure you install all of these from the install a component wsh56 wsh57 mfc42 vcrun6 Internet Explorer 8.

@Xorbah, well yeah. Linux isn't Windows where it has all the components.
In response to Audio freak XD
Audio freak XD wrote:
@Xorbah, well yeah. Linux isn't Windows where it has all the components.

What components are you referring to? OS exclusive shovelware aren't components. Are we really going to call Internet Explorer a component? Really?