ID:192571

We all need to face facts, BYOND is a very unstable program that has a VERY promising future, but as all good things do, BYOND needs time to work out it's many (many many many) bugs. I have encountered three completely different bugs that locked me out of BYOND and such, and it took me weeks to get back on, but thanks to the quick responses of Dantom's e-mail adress, I was able to set things straight. All I'm asking is that people have some patience, like me, I can't even log on or do anything at all, and yes, sadly I am about to go insane, but, I'm still patient! If you do have problems, avoid posting on the bug-report, save yourself (and other people) some time and go ahead and e-mail Dantom if it is a major issue. DANTOM:

[email protected]

~Kujila
Kujila wrote:
We all need to face facts, BYOND is a very unstable program that has a VERY promising future, but as all good things do, BYOND needs time to work out it's many (many many many) bugs.

You can believe what you want. As far as I'm concerned, if you do things well, BYOND runs fine.

In very few cases, where people stress-test BYOND, it sometimes fails. Savefiles and graphics are the main areas where this trouble occurs, both due to the kludgy Windows filesystem. But, if you design your games with efficiency and light processor-load in mind, then they will run flawlessly.

Very few of my games have experienced any major problems that weren't simply the fault of an inefficient design plan. Even in instances where BYOND was indeed at fault, Dantom made a very quick fix to the problem.

I have encountered three completely different bugs that locked me out of BYOND and such, and it took me weeks to get back on, but thanks to the quick responses of Dantom's e-mail adress, I was able to set things straight. All I'm asking is that people have some patience, like me, I can't even log on or do anything at all, and yes, sadly I am about to go insane, but, I'm still patient! If you do have problems, avoid posting on the bug-report, save yourself (and other people) some time and go ahead and e-mail Dantom if it is a major issue.

While emailing Dantom is a good idea for issues involving interpersonal interactions or issues that prevent you from using the software at all, the Bug Report forum is here for good reason -- it allows people like you and me to filter out the things that people are mistakenly interpretting as bugs, so Dantom doesn't have to point them in the proper direction themselves.

Remember that they're just two people.
Kujila wrote:
We all need to face facts, BYOND is a very unstable program that has a VERY promising future, but as all good things do, BYOND needs time to work out it's many (many many many) bugs.

There are a few bugs, but nothing on the order you're talking about. BYOND is very, very stable--much more so than even months ago.

I have encountered three completely different bugs that locked me out of BYOND and such, and it took me weeks to get back on, but thanks to the quick responses of Dantom's e-mail adress, I was able to set things straight.

These kinds of bugs are generally at the user's end, and come from issues like operating system decay and basic system mismanagement. It's not good that this happens, but it's partly a result of the way the system is designed and there's not a lot to be done about it.

All I'm asking is that people have some patience, like me, I can't even log on or do anything at all, and yes, sadly I am about to go insane, but, I'm still patient! If you do have problems, avoid posting on the bug-report, save yourself (and other people) some time and go ahead and e-mail Dantom if it is a major issue.

Most of the problems that do exist are best expressed here.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Kujila wrote:
We all need to face facts, BYOND is a very unstable
program that has a VERY promising future, but as all good
things do, BYOND needs time to work out it's many (many
many many) bugs.

On the contrary, over the last 6 months BYOND has steadily improved its stability

The facts, as you call them, are ever-present in the release notes of each version of BYOND. The list of bug fixes has been getting relatively smaller with each update. As others have mentioned, many 'bugs' turn out to be problems with a users system, or a poorly designed code in the game being played/built.

Certainly BYOND needs time - and it will take longer than most commercial ventures because DanTom relies on this community to help test and fine-tune the system...

Instead of bitching and complaining about it, one needs to support it by providing as much constructive feedback (positive or negative) as is practical. Crying "Waa! BYOND is unstable" will not help to make it more stable...

I work in customer service for a mail order company. Not a week goes by that I don't get a call from someone, who placed an order for the first time, and something went wrong with it... let's say, UPS misrouted it... and they say something like, "How can your company exist if you lose every order?" This is, in essence, what you are doing. You have had a negative experience with BYOND, and on the basis of this, you're committing two fallacies... one, you're assuming the problem is universal, and two, you're assuming that the problem lies with BYOND.
In response to Lesbian Assassin
Couldnt have stated it better :p
-Hock
In response to Hockice5
Hockice5 wrote:
Couldnt have stated it better :p

Lexy has a way with words, doesn't she? I bet she's a college grad, but won't admit it...
In response to digitalmouse
Then why is she working at customer service for a mail order company?
What? Byond is very, very stable. There arn't that many bugs in it. I encounter very few bugs while running BYOND, and the only ones that I think are that bad, are when it has savefile bugs. Crashing bugs, Which I think are the second worst bugs, are usually fixed right off the bat.
Most other bugs don't even effect most people's games, and when they effect one person's game, they report it and its gone within like a day or so (And the bug fix is put out to the public of coarse when the next release comes out).
In response to Mertek
Mertek wrote:
Then why is she working at customer service for a mail order company?

What, you think that everyone gets a dream job? Get real! ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
For Kujila being here nearly a year, he/she is pretty biased...