In response to RaeKwon
Actually, technically, international copyright law is pretty much the same in every country. There are finer points (and probably loopholes to take advantage of) that are different in every system, but the overall aim is the same -- to protect proprietary, financial, and distributory rights.
In response to RaeKwon
To each their own
BTW, truth is the icon im arguing over was a doodle i made, with an emotional equivalence to me as that of a stick figure. its made to represent a rogue in the game im making with no actual intended use. so if his indeed does outdate mine. ill trash it. otherwise tick tock.
In response to Dareb
Dareb, in spite of how extreme this statement comes off, and my general avoidance of saying anything of the sort on the forums, I have to say it:

You, sir, are too stupid to live.

Your entire argument, which you've repeated several times, is that if someone makes something that looks vaguely similar to your work, it's a violation. The degree to which you've stretched this concept is ridiculous in the extreme. Any judge in the world would laugh you out of court, and a really wise one would have the bailiff shoot you.

A violation exists ONLY IF (pay attention, because I'm writing in English, so it gets complicated) he intentionally made something based on your work, AND it happens to bear very great similarity. For example, if he took your icon and merely changed blue to red, that would be plagiarism. If he draws his own dagger icon in a similar pose, even it happens to be the same style blade or having similar details like poison on the tip, that's not a copyright violation of any kind. If that kind of thing was against copyright, the Tolkien estate could have sued Terry Brooks halfway to Mars by now.

To address your point about Disney: You're basically trying to argue that making any animated mouse character would be a violation of copyright. This would be news to Hanna-Barbera, which created Jerry, another highly recognizable cartoon mouse. Now if someone had created a mouse character with a face so similar it looked like he could be Mickey's brother, put him in suspenders and gloves, and named him Ricky Mouse, then there's a copyright violation. That's clearly an attempt to ride in Disney's coattails, and it'd be actionable.

Contrast this to your situation: RPG games are very common in BYOND; thus dagger icons will also be common. Poisoned daggers aren't exactly a unique concept, nor are bloodied daggers. Knives come in different styles, which even you admit your two icons did. It has a different hilt, different shape, different stuff on the blade, and was drawn independently. That is, he didn't take your icon and just start modifying it; though if he had used it as a guide, there's no problem. And if he did start with your icon and make many changes, it sounds like he made more than enough changes to make it completely different, and you'd still have no case.

For as much as you've lectured people on the law you don't understand it one iota, you pedantic little twit. Since you have no common sense to apply, I don't advise you to do so. Instead, it will be an immeasurable boon to the BYOND community if you shut the heck up for about a month. You don't know what you're talking about, and I'd bet half a lung you never will. All you're doing is running around threatening to sue everyone and their brother, making trouble for people that they didn't have coming and whining about problems that aren't problems at all. With each new shriek over the theft-of-the-day that only happened in your own mind, you only make it clearer that the biggest hindrance to lawful copyright use in BYOND is yourself. You've slandered a lot of people to no good end, made yourself a stench to Dantom, and been a plague and misery to the forums. Cease your ignorant wailing and walk away. In the unlikely event that anyone ever does infringe on your copyright, don't you dare say a word about it to anyone in the community; if you leave that option open, you're just going to go off on another false positive tomorrow.

Repeat this mantra to yourself: "I know nothing about copyrights. When I think others are abusing any copyright, I am mistaken." You've used up my good graces, and even I'm more inclined to tolerate you than some. Get lost, stay lost for a while, and when you come back, don't ever speak on this subject again.

Lummox JR
In response to Dareb
Dareb wrote:
ive kept it in proportion so far.

this is merely an argument. or heated discussion between the TWO of us. which you refused to resolve earlier.

It became a fight when you started insulting Foomer. It was unwarranted. I insulted you, but that was warranted; it was, in fact, overdue.

Normally I'd agree that this kind of petty squabbling over property rights should be kept in private, except you've done this to so many people it's ridiculous. Next you'll be claiming the water icons in my game must be based off your work because you saw water once. All architecture after 2002 will be yours because you've copyrighted the circle. You used the word "it" in a sentence, so anyone else who uses it is stealing from you.

You've made a pattern out of harassing just about anyone and everyone about these things; so as such, I don't think Garthor's posting about it was out of line. You've merely kept up the same crap you were doing on the forums before, only now you're tackling people individually. And now that it's been taken to the forums again, you've immediately taken to getting snippy and rude with anyone who disagrees with your point of view, even though you happen to be so spectacularly wrong that some of us have begun to wonder if we're merely talking to a clever house cat with a bad attitude. (In fact, if you're really Dust Bunny, consider yourself whapped on the nose. And don't try to blame this on Hershey, because even she's not that stupid.)

Lummox JR
In response to Dareb
This thread is being frozen. Don't start another one about it.

Dareb, if you wish to make legal claims and threats, do so in email and leave it off the forums. For anyone wishing to spend their time in court instead of making games, I'd recommend talking to your lawyer before you make legal threats.
Page: 1 2 3 4