ID:1927111

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I tried searching to see if this request has been made before, but I couldn't find anything.

A dual-screen setup is pretty much the standard these days for working professionals. The addition of tabs to the Dream Maker dramatically improved the user experience, and I think that the same would be true for giving the Dream Maker some basic support for multi-monitor workflows.

The most basic and most useful feature addition would be to allow any tab to be opened in a new window that could then be dragged over to a second monitor. Something as simple as adding a "Open in New Window" option to the right-click context menu for tabs would do the trick.

You could get really deep into multi-monitor support by giving users the option to split out the file/object tree into a separate window, support for multiple icon editor windows for different frames, etc. etc., but in the interest of not complicating this initial request I'll just leave it at the tabs function for now.
The sad thing is I have only one monitor, and can't easily add something like this. I'd eventually like to rectify that.
Can we ship you a second monitor, Lummox?
It might be be a more convenient idea to detach tabs from the main window and move them around on whichever screen you are the most comfortable with. This way, any developer could simply move a windowed tab to another screen and work on it there.

I also have a single monitor. Windows 10 introduced multiple desktop displays which is sort of like emulating multiple monitors. I have yet to use it for anything, though. I usually just make good use of the taskbar.

In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
It might be be a more convenient idea to detach tabs from the main window and move them around on whichever screen you are the most comfortable with. This way, any developer could simply move a windowed tab to another screen and work on it there.

Yeah that is what I was thinking as well - it seems like the simplest solution that would work.

Super Saiyan X wrote:

That's a good idea.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:

And a new video card, probably.
Lummox needs 2x SLI Gtx 980ti. Someone ship him these ASAP. While we're at it, probably a mobo that supports SLI too, and maybe a liquid cooling system to keep those babies nice and cool.
Super Saiyan X wrote:

Let's get something going guys, www.gofundme.com?
Why Don't We Just Make A List Of Parts Find Them For The Lowest Cost, Gets The Funding And Build Lummox A Brand New Computer To The Point That If He Wanted He Could Put Bread On It And It Would Toast The Bread Perfectly Every Time O.O! Because Who Doesn't Want Perfect Toast, It Just Makes The Day Calm And Settling.
I could build Lummox this...

Guarantee you SS13 games wouldn't run like molasses any longer if he were to host them himself on this! :D

While playing several simultaneous instances of Crysis 3, even.
In response to Khyberkitsune
Khyberkitsune wrote:
I could build Lummox this...

Guarantee you SS13 games wouldn't run like molasses any longer if he were to host them himself on this! :D

While playing several simultaneous instances of Crysis 3, even.

No amount of high end hardware would help SS13.
DS doesn't much like secondary monitors either, unsure if it's a Wine problem or a BYOND problem; if DS is on a non-primary monitor, you need to double-click the map window to generate a single-click event.
Nope none.

Source: SS13 dev.

Also I bet you DS would still die trying to render pixel lighting. (it actually does die)
Also I bet you DS would still die trying to render pixel lighting.

Pixel lighting? ...How exactly are you trying to light per-pixel?
uhm, an atom/movable for every pixel per tile...

Would it work better with like, overlays?
In response to PJB3005
That's massively wasteful* and never going to work.
We don't use it though, as a matter of fact it's no longer supported (because DS dies)

Though it DID looking BRILLIANT: https://camo.githubusercontent.com/ 5301ba950986adea37f841ebaa90e999815c45d5/ 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6264705155684e2e706e67

That's not pixel though, I simply could not make DS render it, it couldn't handle it.
it couldn't handle it.

Serious question: Did you expect DS to be able to handle that? Because no game engine in the history of ever has or ever will consider an entity per pixel in any way sane.

Would it work better with like, overlays?

No. Appearance churn would be a nightmare. Even if the appearance sorting wasn't an issue, 1024 sorting and blitting operations per tile is just plain insane.
I think it's related to the blending though, not the amount of atoms.
Page: 1 2