ID:1929196

BYOND Version:508
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 40+, IE8 +, FireFox 40+
Applies to:Webclient

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Basic changes made in the .dmf editor do not show in their entirety in webclient.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

1. Test in FireFox, Chrome, and IE8 on primary Desktop.
2. Test in Chrome, Edge, and FireFox on Server.
3. Test in Chrome and FireFox on kitchen video server.

Results are as follows: http://i.imgur.com/6hUcJ0t.png

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Interface tabs should be black with grey text in the webclient.

Actual Results:

Interface tabs retain default white color while the rest of the interface displays properly.

Does the problem occur:

Every time? Or how often?

Every time.

In other games?

Unknown

In other user accounts?

Yes, with my game.

On other computers?

Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Unknown. Did not do any interface changes to my game until two days ago and had not tested until 1299 release in hopes that the webclient minimap issue would be resolved.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Unknown

Workarounds:

Use official client.

Please describe what you mean by "basic interface setting changes". Your report is very vague on the details, and I need those.
Looks like he's noticing that the tab control's color settings aren't respected (same for verb panels), which I believe is a known issue. I've noticed it in just about anything that uses tabs and/or verbs (like MLAAS).
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Looks like he's noticing that the tab control's color settings aren't respected (same for verb panels), which I believe is a known issue. I've noticed it in just about anything that uses tabs and/or verbs (like MLAAS).

Exactly. It looks like basic CSS implementation in webclient is incomplete.
In response to Khyberkitsune
Khyberkitsune wrote:
Exactly. It looks like basic CSS implementation in webclient is incomplete.

There are a few parameters not covered in some of the controls; that much is true. (And there are a few not covered at all, like the border settings and is-transparent, which are meaningful only in DS.) But you have to be specific in bug reports.
"You have to be specific"

My Expected and Actual Results portion of my report was not read at all, it seems, because that was very specific.

To quote:

"Expected Results:

Interface tabs should be black with grey text in the webclient.

Actual Results:

Interface tabs retain default white color while the rest of the interface displays properly."

Seriously, how much more specific does that need to be?

You didn't mention specifically which settings you changed, nor offer a skin that had those settings that could be examined. It may seem like a trivial bit of information, but that's the level of detail any bug report needs.

The numbered steps to reproduce the problem also were not steps to reproduce the problem; they were only a statement of what browsers you tested with. That's the section where you need to include information that anyone who might try to reproduce the bug could use to do so from scratch.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
You didn't mention specifically which settings you changed, nor offer a skin that had those settings that could be examined.

I would have thought the word 'basic' would imply default-available tools in the interface without other plugins, libraries, or anything else modifying the .DMF. - AKA Plain Jane.

The numbered steps to reproduce the problem also were not steps to reproduce the problem; they were only a statement of what browsers you tested with. That's the section where you need to include information that anyone who might try to reproduce the bug could use to do so from scratch.

Kinda hard to reproduce a problem without testing in multiple machines or environments, you know that's one of the largest steps in any problem reproduction phase. With the other information given above plus a screenshot, you, one of the primary maintainers of this software, should already have a really, really good idea what's being talked about.

Knowing the 'basic' functions of the .DMF editor are primarily W3C beginner-level CSS-driven, and given my bare-minimum problem description given, plus a screenshot provided, one can easily extrapolate that something is wrong with how the basic interface for changing the skins works between DS and webclient. I can't give a code snippet because that 'basic' stuff is all accessible via point-and-click in the interface editor itself, with never a need to touch a keyboard.

I guess I could've posted whatever got auto-generated in the .DMF itself, but even then I get the feeling you'd ask for more information, when it's truly not necessary in the first place.

The problem is literally that simple. None of this extra information is required.

Welcome to the mind of an ASM programmer.
The main relevant info was which specific properties didn't work, and that's what was missing. I agree it was inferable from the results, but I feel it's still important that such things be spelled out whenever possible, for clarity's sake.
Sorry if I seemed to come off a little uppity, there.
No problem. I hope I didn't come off confrontational myself.
Nah. You weren't even close in comparison to mine. I tried to just use emotionless logical thought and wording, and it still looks entirely douchey now that I look back at it.

Again, welcome to the mind of a simple ASM programmer. I'm wired weird!