ID:1929878

Resolved
BYOND Version:508
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Firefox 40.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: Clicking a link in Dream Seeker that would generate text causes Dream Seeker to hang and skyrocket in CPU usage.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: Anything that involves generating text via links.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results: Dream Seeker to not hang.

Actual Results: Text generation causes lock ups.
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games? Unknown
In other user accounts? Unknown
On other computers? Unknown

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.) 507.1276 shows more than acceptable results compared to anything beyond that. After 507.1276, the effect results in a lock up. Any version before that yields a type-writer effect.

Workarounds: Version 507.1276 seems to resolve this issue.

Considering the same mechanism is used for all kinds of things in the software, I find it odd that this hasn't been documented by other Windows 10 users even while using the pager. Does this happen even in a simple demo with a single browse() that has a topic link?

Also if you do have a crash, do you have crash details? If the crash happens within BYOND code, then it might be possible to learn something from it.
It's rare that it actually crashes, if at all. But the lock ups are always there. Using an older version of BYOND seems to cause the text to act as a type writer instead of the whole thing locking up.
I'm confused now. Is this a matter of text in the output control, or is it a matter of a topic link misbehaving when clicked? Can you describe the exact sequence of events?
Sorry. I typed that out around 5AM, so I may have said it as being the wrong issue.

http://i.imgur.com/ZpAdTvW.jpg

Clicking the question mark being an example.

This image is best I can do as of now. Anytime I click anything that needs to call something or open a new window causes DS to hang.
Opening a new window is a totally separate act from a topic call. It would help to break this down into specific cases that definitely cause a hang, in a demo project. I can't test in Windows 10 right now, but knowing this is reproducible in a simple case is half the battle.

Far more ideal would be if you could get a debugger and break into the process when it hangs, and then trace the call stack back to the last point in BYOND's code that might have initiated it.
This will be something I may need extended aid with. Where would I start debugger wise and how would I do this step by step wise?
Haven't had any performance issues with win 10 myself, as a matter of fact due to MS Edge some of the Jscript things in some UIs in SS13's UIs run better.
I don't have any specific recommendations for a debugger to use; I think you'll need to research that part on your own. But the general idea is that you attach a debugger to a process, pause the process in the debugger, and then within the debugger you'd follow the call stack back until you got to something in (most likely) byondcore.dll or byondwin.dll. Once you had an offset into that DLL where the problem occurred, that's something I could look at. Going further back in the stack and getting those offsets as well would be useful too.
The issue also seems to happen with simply right clicking.
 # Child-SP          RetAddr           Call Site
00 00000000`0518f7b8 00007ff8`ab14c781 ntdll!DbgBreakPoint
01 00000000`0518f7c0 00007ff8`ab099f75 ntdll!DbgUiRemoteBreakin+0x51
02 00000000`0518f7f0 00000000`00000000 ntdll!RtlUserThreadStart+0x45

This is all I could find when viewing the call stack for dreamseeker.exe

And this happens on occasion.

http://i.imgur.com/b8svDAk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KbLhVhO.jpg
In response to JayEhh
That's a whole different issue though, there is a bug report on this already and somebody else already found out what causes it to happen.
Why would you say you know what causes it and then not link the reason?

CPU usage spikes as well.

http://i.imgur.com/a1MDDov.jpg
So I'm still unable to do anything admin wise since no seems to know what the cause is.
I'm getting the same thing with Windows 8.1 actually, right down to older versions of byond making the text act like a typewriter. For the others who are getting this issue, are you using wireless internet as well? Reference the link below, maybe it has to do with the networking?

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/ viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4619&p=117279#p117245
Nah. I'm using a hard wire. Straight from the wall to my modem and to my PC.
I can confirm on what StonedOne posted in the tg forums. It does request an insane amount of data network wise. I attempted to use an admin command to gather info and it capped my allowed bandwidth.
I've found a working version that fixes both the type-writer effect and the locking up.

I think this is just one of the many issues the new 508 version brought, I told lummo this few times about it that he shoudnt have released it just yet because there is something strange going on with Tabs and anything that updates on them, after awhile the game freezes, stutters, fps lose and crashes, CPU goes insane to upword of anything between 30% to 50% CPU usage, non of this issue happens on any version lower then 506-507. Also when you switch to another tab that doesnt have anything that is updating in it, all the issues are gone up until you go back to any of the tabs that has something that updates in it.
The "typewriter effect" is likely a side effect of the richtext control from the new compiler not behaving nicely on certain Windows versions. There were some other changes that came from that, but those have been addressed.

If there's still an obvious slowdown in text output, I need a demo that shows it. I can't fix bugs in a vacuum; it's critical that I have something I can test.

Zasif, any issues you're having with tabs are a separate issue and likewise should be given their own bug report, and a demo that shows the problem. I will be glad to investigate that report.
Page: 1 2 3