ID:1931861

Greetings, all!

Due to recent threads being derailed and a recent uprising of flame wars, I've decided to create a small post which explains how you, the user, should normally act while posting on the forums.

(1) Be polite. This works pretty well to subdue hot-tempered posters. Remember that when you start to lose your temper, you lose control over your composure. Keep calm and be polite.

(2) Remain optimistic. Even in the worst of times, there's always something positive to think about. Think of the glass as half-full. You'll emphasize the goodness in things rather than dwelling on the bad stuff.

(3) Try not to be biased. We are only human to take sides. When you see someone attacking a friend verbally, it makes sense that you'd want to defend your friend. However, you're going to want to know both sides of the story before making your final decision. When entering an argument, look at both sides first.

(4) Offer advice only when asked. Often times people will get defensive when you suggest they do things a certain way. It's great of you to know a better way, but people generally like to stick to their routine. Bettering yourself is a great way to grow, but don't force others to do the same. When someone labels their post [CC Accepted] they are giving you the access to provide criticism. Everyone's thought processes are different from each other, so it's best to respect that.

(5) Be tolerant. You will come upon times where you'll have someone engaging you and putting you on a spot that isn't very comfortable. Ignore them if you feel they are trying to get a rise out of you. Remember that losing your cool means losing control. An attacker's main objective is to make you lose your footing. Keep your balance.

(6) Do random acts of kindness (optional). Helping others establishes friendly connections among you and your fellow community members. Although not true altruism (you feel good by doing good, so it's not completely selfless) it shows you care for one another. However, know your limit to giving, because there are those who are greedy, and would milk your kindness and ask you to do things you might not enjoy. It's hard sometimes, but you need to politely tell them no, or that you are not interested. If they don't respect that, then it is their own problem.

That pretty much patches things up here. Happy travels in the realm of BYOND, everyone.
Mr_Goober wrote:
(4) Offer advice only when asked. Often times people will get defensive when you suggest they do things a certain way. It's great of you to know a better way, but people generally like to stick to their routine. Bettering yourself is a great way to grow, but don't force others to do the same. When someone labels their post [CC Accepted] they are giving you the access to provide criticism. Everyone's thought processes are different from each other, so it's best to respect that.

do we also need trigger warnings and safe places
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Mr_Goober wrote:

you may not enter my pillow fort
4 is something I can't rightly agree with, saying to only offer advise/criticism when specifically asked for on a open forum? If they don't want criticism or advise, it's best to NOT post in a public forum, or at least include 'please, no one try to help me get better, I never want to change anything about myself or my work, for better or worse' disclaimer. Otherwise we're all assuming the opposite.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
4 is something I can't rightly agree with, saying to only offer advise/criticism when specifically asked for on a open forum? If they don't want criticism or advise, it's best to NOT post in a public forum, or at least include 'please, no one try to help me get better, I never want to change anything about myself or my work, for better or worse' disclaimer. Otherwise we're all assuming the opposite.

I can concur that if someone has a way to make someone else's life easier, it would be a good thing to spread said knowledge. I did mention, however, that some people have a particular method of doing things (I'm probably one of them myself). The advice given would likely be for naught if the one on the receiving end doesn't take it the right way.

For those logicians who are direct and forward for most of their thinking, getting their point across in a direct way is the most optimal route. But not everyone is like this. As humans we also have emotions.

As for the 'please, no one try to help me get better, I never want to change anything about myself or my work, for better or worse' scenario, people like to post things simply for recognition and praise for their hard work. This is indeed an open forum, and one who posts is subject to any kind of feedback regardless of forum guideline. I guess the points I made above are mostly things I do every day. It's not set in stone for everyone else to do the same.

This post is pretty much a summary of some tips one can do so that forum drama isn't on the rise.
Forum drama isn't on the rise. It's the same old people causing the same old crap.

No new players. As a whole, the community's been getting better. Not worse.

By and large, there's this rising opinion that of you took offense to something someone else said, that the other person is in the wrong and must adjust to your preferences. This is stupid.

Public interaction involves sometimes being challenged and told you are wrong. If you can't deal with that, you have failed at being a human being. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever be offended by something someone says. It doesn't mean that every interaction should be friendly, and it doesn't mean that you should always be positive.

Negativity and criticism are part of life. Insults aren't always appropriate, but insults aren't definable in any easy way. Sometimes legitimate criticism is taken as an insult, and sometimes the best advice is insulting.

It's not about being uplifting --it's about attempting to interact in a manner that's for the betterment of the thread or community. Fighting happens, and not every fight is a massive deal that should end in bans. Sure, some people are incapable of acting in any kind of a positive or helpful manner (the thread that spawned this one's OP is one of those people.), and eventually the community will see them out the door --as they well should have been. In fact, the only reason the community got as hostile and toxic to that user as it did is because that user should have been banned in 2012 for basically being the source of all the drama on the boards for almost a solid year without ever contributing ANYTHING positive to ANYONE.

Is the community getting worse? Definitely not. It's gotten better in the last few months, because we've finally driven out the last of a small group of users who have repeatedly done nothing but derail and shit all over the community.

Baird was the very last of that group of users left. With him gone, I think things can only go up from here.
In response to Mr_Goober
Things seem to be good for extended periods, then you have the same few coming back and either getting overly offended by helping hands or pointlessly and needlessly argue invalid points, claiming them valid because they said they were, offering no proof, and shunning/disregarding any proof given saying otherwise.

I, sometimes, get a little fed-up with people who act like that, and tend to be a little more harsh towards some of them; though I feel that's a tad justifiable, as I don't instantly disregard anything/everything they say, I simply don't get my hopes up and remove the 'sugar-coat'(if there were one to begin with) from everything in regards to the subject matters.

The only recent instances I can think of, which got me in some 'forum drama' were all from misinterpreted jokes. Was banned for one of them, with my post deleted, because the mod[to remain nameless, unless he feels the need to out himself] didn't understand that my post was a joking reference to one of the OP's other posts. Took some time away because of it, frankly wasn't happy with the state of the forums at the time. I, someone joking in reference to another post, was banned(with no warnings); but those who were/are consistently acting as Baird has since his return were free to do as they pleased for extended periods, with numerous warnings and little to no actions. It was/is idiotic to me and makes zero sense.\rant
hahahaah lol this is funny
why bruh?
You forgot the following

1. Block all users that disagree with you
2. Fangames are not allowed, hate them. If someone says they're making a fangame, immediately turn on them and cry foul for not making their own IP
3. Post screenshots of things that you'll never finish
4. When in doubt, post horses
GreatPirateEra wrote:

10/10 example. Combines 3 and 4 perfectly. Posted a dorse that will never be completely duck nor horse and can technically be a horse picture. This guy knows what's up.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
You forgot the following

1. Block all users that disagree with you
2. Fangames are not allowed, hate them. If someone says they're making a fangame, immediately turn on them and cry foul for not making their own IP
3. Post screenshots of things that you'll never finish

Let's go over these points a bit more in detail.

Block all users that disagree with you
This is a matter of personal preference. IF you feel that you would like to block a particular user from communicating with you, nor do you wish to see that other person's posts, blocking is a good idea. If that person rubs you the wrong way, then why not?

Fangames are not allowed, hate them. If someone says they're making a fangame, immediately turn on them and cry foul for not making their own IP
It isn't that they aren't allowed. They're disallowed from being listed on the main page because they infringe copyright on another person's IP. But that doesn't mean you can't make fangames for fun. Just not for profit.

If you disagree with a person's work, remember to respectfully offer the suggestion of your critique.

Post screenshots of things that you'll never finish.
LOL. You talking about me? 'Cause I know this is all about me. I'm notorious for not being able to finish a damn thing. Any screenshot is worth posting, though. It's interesting to see what others are working on, regardless of level of completion. It promotes productivity in others.

Horses are okay. While sometimes forum threads can and will get derailed, doing so out of humor isn't as bad as doing it out of violence. I guess we're all a pretty ADD lot. This is something we should probably work on (maintaining topics in threads).
I find that dorse image offensive, remove it this instant.
In response to Mr_Goober
Maybe its just me, but I didn't take anything Lugia said seriously, nor did I think it was targeted at anyone. Just sounded like general satire of the BYOND forums as a whole to me.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:

IT might look like a dorse, but it is actually a huck.
Well you know what they say...

If wear the fits, shoe it...
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

IT might look like a dorse, but it is actually a huck.

Google image search 'dorse' and 'huck'. Obviously a dorse.
Its obviously a Suicune

If you nerds played more pokemans instead of focusing on trivial things like real life, you wouldve known this
<-- lel LCD face
I'll go re-evaluate my life now.

Also, a pretty good video on how LCD monitors work.