ID:193392

Where do people get the idea that, simply because you've built something and because of that you must know how to program, that you're obviously the person to talk to for programming help? I don't like people logging into my game and asking for help with codez just because I happen to be online.
Welcome to the club! Consider it a compliment... and mute or boot anyone who won't pay attention to a simple "This is a game, not a coding help line." If it becomes too much of a problem, have that included in a pop-up of the "house rules." If you have to spend all your time telling people you won't help them with their coding, you're still not paying attention to the game and legitimate players.
I too agree to this.

I have had and still get many people coming to me when I am online and asking me to help them do this and do that...and give them this code and help them fix that code there that hasnt yet been done.

As much as I like to help people out I know I aint the best one to come to at times. Some people even call me names when I dont help them or when I turn them down. Whereas others thank me for my time and see that I cant help with certain things.

I know I used to do this to some people in the past...Heck I admit to doing this to Lexy, Sariat, Nadrew, Spuzzum (along time back but no replies), Shadowdarke, FIREking, Vortezz and many many others...I knew I got annoying because I got shouted at from time to time and I deserved it. But because I have had this experience I can share my thoughts and I agree that this shouldnt happen because its annoying for the decent coders and its also annoying when your trying to have fun while people are constantly nagging on at you asking for codes.

Sorry for that but I just thought it was necessary...if anyone gets anything out of that then I hope you understand what I am trying to say...rather tired hehe.

Lee
In response to Mellifluous
WhoHoo!

Its not just me. Some Guy kept Paging me on how to help him code. He was making a testworld so i thought i would help him. Then every 2 mins he got another problem and kept asking i said i will not make the game for you but i will help on some problems. His reply"Know any 1 who will help me cuz you dont".

This individual had very simple problems like making a map and making a turf then he would not stop so i banned him from my pager. I find it more annoying if someone pages me while i play tanks than anything else.
Yes, welcome to the club(Lexy just said that...oh well), you should see my pager ban list, because I was too lazy to code a ban verb into one of my games, I banned those sorry saps pagerlike and now they can't join anything I host from now on!!
In response to Lesbian Assassin
I still ask questions on the Newbie Forum and people are even asking me for help. I can't even imagine the volume of people that must be asking you guys that actually know a lot about byond coding.
In response to Mellifluous
Spuzzum (along time back but no replies),

While I do sometimes ignore people for the sake of not having to say something rude to their face (I don't like being aggressive =)), sometimes I leave Dream Seeker running while I am genuinely doing something else.

In other words, I often multitask, then forget what exactly I was multitasking and leave it running in the background. By the time I notice that I was running something, it is often several hours later. By this time, anyone who paged me is now gone, and many people turn off email forwarding which prevents me from dropping them a line to let them know that I actually received their message a long time later.

Plus, I'm often not present to begin with, and since BYOND still doesn't distinguish between pages to online people and pages to email, that doesn't help things any if someone thinks I am online because it says "Sent page".
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
Spuzzum (along time back but no replies),

While I do sometimes ignore people for the sake of not having to say something rude to their face (I don't like being aggressive =)), sometimes I leave Dream Seeker running while I am genuinely doing something else.

In other words, I often multitask, then forget what exactly I was multitasking and leave it running in the background. By the time I notice that I was running something, it is often several hours later. By this time, anyone who paged me is now gone, and many people turn off email forwarding which prevents me from dropping them a line to let them know that I actually received their message a long time later.

Plus, I'm often not present to begin with, and since BYOND still doesn't distinguish between pages to online people and pages to email, that doesn't help things any if someone thinks I am online because it says "Sent page".

Hey its ok mate :)

I kinda multitask alot but I do have email forwarding on all the time. But...I am glad you didnt reply to me as I dont think I would be who I am now if you helped me back then :). hehe

Anyways thanks for telling me this as I will be able to distinguish for myself as to why you hardly ever talk on your pager :-D

Lee
In response to English
English wrote:
I can't even imagine the volume of people that must be asking you guys that actually know a lot about byond coding.

Before I took my pager private, whenever I got online I would typically have several different requests within a few minutes. Frequently, the same set of people would ask me several questions the second I logged on *every time*. Usually those pages start with "Thank god you are here -- please fix this for me!" If I didn't respond immediately, I might be called a fag or whatever. In some cases people don't bother to see if you are online -- once I got *17* email forwards from a guy paging me every 2 minutes when I wasn't online to see if I was there.

The more polite ones would log into the game I was hosting, pretend to be interested by asking a couple of questions about the game, then launch into their set of saved up questions.

The individual people aren't usually attempting to be annoying, but they just don't realize that if everytime a person goes online you pepper them with three questions, and if 10 other people are doing the same, it just becomes impossible for a person to deal with 30 incoming questions everytime they start up a game to test a feature.

So now I have everything private and rarely ever venture into the running games. When someone does find a way to ping me, I refer them to the forums to ask the question.
In response to Deadron
Now I go incognito :p

I have 2 other keys that I use to test things I'm making and to go into other games, then I don't have to worry about it :)