ID:1934253

Build 509 is progressing really nicely and will have a good crop of features to show for it. As of right now I've got most of the new appearance stuff all implemented in the language, the server, Dream Seeker, and Dream Maker. (Appearance features are a bear in Dream Maker. But I did manage to fix an ancient bug with animate_movement in the editor while I was monkeying around in there.)

Color matrices, by the way, are super fun to play with. They can be animated, so I was messing with things like turning an icon to grayscale and back. I'd really love something like client.color or world.color where I could do a matrix cast over a whole scene, for cool lighting effects, but I foresee a lot of problems with that. (For instance, what if I wanted to throw moonlight over map objects but not HUD objects? Should HUD objects always be immune? I can see arguments for doing it either way. Altering the matrices of each individual icon drawn is actually way easier than post-processing, which would allow for a HUD exception. Or I suppose I could add something else into appearance_flags, but gads is that tacky. I'm way open to suggestions here, though.)

I also implemented the new read-only client.bounds on request from Ter13, which can tell you information about the viewport in pixel coordinates. It's not friendly to isometric maps or to client.dir values besides the default NORTH, but it serves its purpose for most games. If you need to convert screen_loc coords to an exact pixel position in other modes, for now you're on your own. I may decide at some point to add something client-side that simply throws another set of coords into the mouse messages. But I can foresee other uses for this feature beyond coordinate conversion, so in it goes.

The new appearance features still have to be added to the webclient (this actually shouldn't be hard) and documented. There are also several other issues I'm looking at, so at this time I don't have a firm estimate on the first 509 release. However, I absolutely want to get the first 509 out next week, and the earlier the better, but a lot depends on how much deeper the feature creep goes.

One bit of cool news: I was contacted this week by a university professor who's using BYOND in classes. It was pretty awesome. I hope to see some interesting stuff out of that class, especially if any of them make use of the webclient.

My thanks to those who've been contributing to BYOND by becoming Members or making donations. If you have a friend who hasn't yet, help them shake out their couch and then write an awesome game together.
I was contacted this week by a university professor who's using BYOND in classes. It was pretty awesome.

That's actually pretty cool.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
I was contacted this week by a university professor who's using BYOND in classes. It was pretty awesome.

That's actually pretty cool.

Yeah that is great!

Lummox JR wrote:
Build 509 is progressing really nicely and will have a good crop of features to show for it. As of right now I've got most of the new appearance stuff all implemented in the language, the server, Dream Seeker, and Dream Maker. (Appearance features are a bear in Dream Maker. But I did manage to fix an ancient bug with animate_movement in the editor while I was monkeying around in there.)

Color matrices, by the way, are super fun to play with. They can be animated, so I was messing with things like turning an icon to grayscale and back. I'd really love something like client.color or world.color where I could do a matrix cast over a whole scene, for cool lighting effects, but I foresee a lot of problems with that. (For instance, what if I wanted to throw moonlight over map objects but not HUD objects? Should HUD objects always be immune? I can see arguments for doing it either way. Altering the matrices of each individual icon drawn is actually way easier than post-processing, which would allow for a HUD exception. Or I suppose I could add something else into appearance_flags, but gads is that tacky. I'm way open to suggestions here, though.)

The color matrices would be amazing if they can function as intended. You would be able to then color your character whatever colors you wanted in Pondera and the moonlight idea, I am really into stuff like that. Every little bit of ambiance will make Pondera that much better!

Excited for 509 and every version update!
Thanks Lummox! Keep up the great work, we all appreciate it.
contacted by a professor wow is that true?
I'm interested in those color matrices for the GIAD 2015 that's coming up. I'd really like to make a black and white game that uses color inversion. Would be fantastic to do.
In response to Ter13
i agree
In response to Ter13
Lummox JR wrote:
I'd really love something like client.color or world.color where I could do a matrix cast over a whole scene, for cool lighting effects, but I foresee a lot of problems with that.

Lummox, wouldn't you achieve something like this already by just adding a screen mask over the screen with whatever color you want the scene to be? Or is there more to this?
I would sooooo love to see the client.color or world.color added in!
In response to Exentriks Gaming
A mask over the whole screen couldn't do the matrix thing, and it wouldn't allow for HUD objects to make an exception.
world.color would be really interesting to see
In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
world.color would be really interesting to see

Yeah, could make a vivid world of rippling colors of some kind. Some adventure/puzzle game set in a fantasy setting? It is gray at first but lit up like a rainbow by your movements or something.
In response to Ishuri
Ishuri wrote:
world.color

THIS PLS