ID:1934620

Heya, I'm not sure if this is the right forum section but I am planning to make a 2d game and then add it to Steam. Now my question is: Should I use Byond or Unity?

I mean, if I do create it with Byond will I be able to make an executable file that allows the client to run the game without having byond installed? If so then how would the client's ckey be defined? Will it be null (since it is defined by the client's byond username)?

Don't get me wrong, I really like Byond and in my opinion it is one of the best game engines out there but I am not sure if it is the best option for this particular case. What do you think?

PS: I am comfortable with both Byond and Unity's programming languages. So that won't be a problem.

Ty,
Hug,
MistY
Their key/ckey values would be based on their guest key. In other words, they'd be guests.
As FKI said, just simply utilize the guest key as their ckey. Not an issue.
If your whole intention is to get it on steam than maybe Unity could provide a better commercial feel to your project but byond is fully capable. It meeting your desires/expectations is another story! :P
My recommendation would be that if you plan on going commercial with your project, don't use key and ckey. It's very BYOND-centralized and if you set up your own username and identification system it'll not only give you more control over the ID system, but provide a much more polished feel to the whole thing.

Plus, having players sign up using their emails lets you send them content updates, support messages and a whole host of things that you can't do with key/ckey alone. Just some food for thought.
How far can I go in BYOND's game engine?

Put the work in and see. If you never put the work in because you are worried that there's a wall in front of you somewhere, you'll never reach that wall anyway, so don't worry about the wall until you get there.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 for BYOND Motivational Speaker of the Year.
Unfortunately, BYOND's standalone requires a whopping $100 per game. Unity's does not. Unity uses languages that are more marketable (C#, Javascript), BYOND does not (Dream Maker? What's that?). Unity has better quality developer help (imo). Go with Unity my friend.
Unity doesn't allow Java as a language.

You can easily create your own stand alone + updater yourself in another language.
In response to Lavenblade
Lavenblade wrote:

You can easily create your own stand alone + updater yourself in another language.

Whoops, Javascript, not Java. Soz m80

Yes, you could. But Unity does it for you. So why make it yourself to avoid paying $100 when you could just use the tools Unity has laid out for you for free? Unity is still the better option.
Just keep in mind it's not true JavaScript, thus why it's commonly reffered to as UnityScript.

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while.
Misticone wrote:
I mean, if I do create it with Byond will I be able to make an executable file that allows the client to run the game without having byond installed? If so then how would the client's ckey be defined? Will it be null (since it is defined by the client's byond username)?

I'm not sure exactly what the state of it is, but BYONDexe does this. You can make a launcher .exe that launches a specific BYOND game. It lets you make a launcher that lets users log into their BYOND key, or play as a guest, or even register for a new key. You can use HTML/CSS/JS to customize the launcher, make a server list, and add whatever.

I used BYONDexe for Hazordhu to make a launcher that simply lists servers and launches the game when you click Join. No BYOND install required.

You can see NEStalgia's launcher as a better example.
In response to Kaiochao
Is BYONDexe still in the IDE? Last I saw, the "Make .exe" option had been removed from dream maker.
In response to Lugia319
That option hasn't been in Dream Maker for a while, but it's different from BYONDexe.

BYONDexe is still in the download build list... for NEStalgia, probably; the only game that still uses it.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
That option hasn't been in Dream Maker for a while, but it's different from BYONDexe.

BYONDexe is still in the download build list... for NEStalgia, probably; the only game that still uses it.

You can contact Lummy directly if you want access to it, probably.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Yeah. It requires an API key that used to be located in the Distribution tab of the hub editor for (published, original) games with subscription options, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore.
I think the BYONDexe option is still something that should be available more widely. Right now it seems like not too many people know about it or know how it works. It's a feature that would make more games competitive on the open market, in my opinion. I'm not exactly sure how contacting Lummox about it works unless he has to do something like physically compile the source with the engine to generate the exe.
In response to Kats
In the past, after getting an API key for BYONDexe from the Distribution tab, you'd download the zip from the Downloads section, add the API key to one of the config files, and set up various other things according to the provided readmes (although it's still pretty difficult to use).

Now, you can only download the zip from the lesser-known http://www.byond.com/download/build section, and supposedly Lummox JR might just give you an API key for whatever hub, upon request, and that's all he'd have to do.
In response to Kaiochao
Ah, okay, thank you so much. The more you know. And knowing is half the battle!
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
Lavenblade wrote:

Whoops, Javascript, not Java. Soz m80

Yes, you could. But Unity does it for you. So why make it yourself to avoid paying $100 when you could just use the tools Unity has laid out for you for free? Unity is still the better option.

I've never paid 100$ to byond for anything. You are a liar. You have absolutely no class Lugia. You revolt me.
LMAO... I never payed 100$ either. Tom used to give the distribution keys to original games that looked promising.
Page: 1 2 3 4