ID:1935035

So a couple discussions on fan-games have come up and something tells me that I feel like I should address the root of the concerns most of the veteran developers have about fan-games and let me start by saying that, at least for me, it has nothing to do with the IP's being used.

The big two IP's in use for most fan-games right now are Naruto and Dragonball Z. Bleach has, in the past, been part of the group but it's to a far lesser degree today than it was a couple years ago. I'm going to go out on a limb and just say that most of us actually really enjoy at least one of those two IP's. I know I was a huge DBZ nerd when I was growing up (I still am). And while I've fallen out of favor with the Naruto series, I did used to really enjoy watching it.

No one's disputing that these are great animes who are loved by a vast culture of people from all walks of life. But if that's the case, then why do people constantly shit on fan games all the time? Why do people groan and sigh and troll threads announcing a new DBZ or Naruto game? Hopefully I can clarify why, at least from my perspective, many people are hesitant to give fan games a chance and how people who enjoy producing fan games can improve and set a higher standard. Keep in mind that everything I say here is my opinion only. There are people who hate fan games solely based on the fact that they use existing IP's. There are people who have no idea why they hate fan games except that everyone else seems too. Bandwagoners like this are kind of part of the problem and less the solution.

Most fan games have one huge detail in common from one another (other than their IP's of course). This detail isn't exclusive to rips and in fact permeates almost every fan game on the website, regardless of how "orginal" the code or artwork is.

That main detail is that they are almost all RPG's. Every single one of them. I know of only one game that does not fit into this genre and it's just sad. This isn't a problem that fits only fan games either. There's a whole host of original games who fall into this trap and wonder why their completely original idea has failed.

Let me be honest with everyone here. Almost nobody in this community has the skills necessary to create an immersive, epic-scale RPG. Period. Most people just do not have the time, effort and resources required to command such a daunting project, yet day after day, week after week, I see developers flocking into the MMO genre like it's going out of style (and it kind of is). There is only one truly finished MMO-style game on BYOND and we all know which one I'm talking about (though I can't wait for #2! #PixelRealms)

The RPG genre is a dead horse that's been completely beaten to death by the standards developers have set for it. We're so used to the poor quality of other games on the website that any little saved detail feels like a massive milestone. Your game doesn't have punching bags? WOOHOOO! What a genius dev team! Your game has dungeons and quests? WOW! You guys are going places! The problem is that in any game outside of BYOND, this is the standard operating procedure. You don't get praised for having dungeons in your MMO or quests. You get praised for having exciting combat mechanics. Bosses and raids that make you think. That function more like puzzles as much as they do boss fights, that challenge your players in all skills, not just their character's stats.

The majority of the community has become complacent with substandard quality. We've let ourselves be isolated from the gaming industry as a whole and we've let ourselves fall into this vortex of unproductivity, constantly reinventing poor mechanics into slightly less-poor ones and calling it progress. This is one of the major problems, but that's a whole other discussion that I won't get into here. I feel like most people already understand this. The majority of this post is directed toward the people who develop these fan games and try to break into a genre that they're hopelessly outclassed in.

Now, I've yet to answer the question presented in the thread's title, mainly because I felt that I should set the table on the facts and general rules that can be gathered from many games on the site. But now we have to ask ourselves, how do we fix fan games? That sounds like a weird question. Most people would be content with fan games being removed from the site altogether, but that could only serve to cause even more problems. Alienating the vast majority of the regular player base would obviously be a stupid idea. Fan games are never going to go away on BYOND, no matter how many C&D letters we get, they'll always come back in one form or another.

Many new developers are learning by working with these ripped sources and these sources are setting the standards for many of the awful programming practices that permeate the dev society today. Even people who've never worked on a rip in their life find their programming style, albeit to a far lesser degree, somewhat influenced by these games, simply because the majority of people seemed to learn from them and thus that's the way they teach it.

Fan games are never going to go away, but we can make them better. There's a small group of us already, but I feel like it needs far more community support, that try not to down people for making fan games. That's what Build Your Own Net Dream means, make whatever game your heart desires. Whether the game is set in the DBZ universe or a completely new IP, it all boils down to the quality of game you produce.

On the podcast with Ter and Yut last night, the question was asked of what is the best piece of advice that you could give any new developer, and there were a lot of fantastic answers. If you haven't seen it, it should be up soon, if not already. Definitely check it out. My answer was a simple point but I feel one that not a lot of developers understand: It doesn't matter what you're designing, what you're creating or if you ever even finish it. As long as you're always learning from your mistakes and you're always making progress, nothing you do is a failure.

You can have a hundred failed projects that will never be published, but as long as with each flop you learned something new about programming or game development or art or whatever, it wasn't a failure. That unfinished project was just a stepping stone to the next project on your plate and eventually, when you're skills are more advanced and the confidence in yourself grows, you'll start finishing projects and publishing games.

It won't be anything big, at first, either. It's going to be a cool little code snippet that you post on the forums or a library or maybe a small game, if you're really confident, but the moment you post something that people go, "Hey, that's pretty cool, keep it up." that's when you know you're on the right track.

The first real piece of work that I've ever really finished and published was my particle library. It was an idea that turned into an obsession for about two weeks while I worked on it with the goal of trying to create something that could better the quality of other games on the website and, to some degree, it worked. Flick's already taking steps to producing a DMI generator for it, letting you record particle animations and set them as overlays, far more efficient than dynamic particles and actually stands a great chance of really making it viable in BYOND games and I'm extremely excited to see how it works.

I think the first step in solving the problem of low-quality fan games is to really start pushing people away from making RPG's a little harder, and stop putting so much effort into pushing people away from making fan games in general. Some of the veteran devs already discourage designing RPG's, especially as a first project. They never work, period. I've never seen a new developer successfully release a full-scale, finished MMORPG as their first project, it just doesn't happen.

New developers come onto the website and see these Naruto and DBZ fan games and see that they can make games just like that. The problem is that they're being inspired by a genre of gaming that is absolutely substandard to gaming as a whole. They're getting ideas from poorly designed games and thinking, "That's how you make a game" when that's completely wrong. It's like herding cats, they'll never listen no matter how much we bitch about, "Don't make fan games!" or "Don't make RPG's as your first project!" because they don't listen anyway.

The people we can help are those who fail. The people who finally get their game out and it flops and they feel like they've wasted all of their time and effort. The people who come back onto the forums and ask, "Why aren't people playing my game?" and that's when we can finally start making real progress. I think it's a question that we should be upfront and address early, however, because very few people actually want to admit that their game sucks. Very few novice developers want to own up to the fact that they have no clue what they're doing. I think the more we silently push people into asking better questions, the more progress we'll see. If we can answer that question without forcing people to post their apparent failures on the forums, they'll at least start learning.

We really should try to stop being jerks about fan games. We don't even have to be jerks about bad games. Making fun of someone else's game has never ended well, ever. The creator is offended and feels obligated to stonewall and defend their game to the death and when you're attacking their game design techniques, regardless of how poor they actually are, you only serve to make the problem worse, because now the creator feels like they have to prove you wrong. It's a pride thing and it's natural, we all have it to some degree. We hate seeing our projects that we work so hard on get torn to shreds by some critic, but the difference between novices and vets is how we react to criticism. Yes, it sucks to have your work knocked hard by some random stranger, it blows hard and makes you feel like shit for a minute, but if you can take their comments and try to look at it from their perspective, you just might find that they actually might have a point to some degree.

Again, as a final TL;DR, the community as a whole needs to be vocal about the genre of games new developers should be experimenting with. BYOND is a platform where MMORPG's are the default idea, but by far the worst. People are led down a rut of game design hell that will absolutely eat them alive both mentally and emotionally. It's so hard to learn from RPG's when you're only just learning how to make games. If you think fan games are principally wrong on some level, that's not what this discussion is about. It's not about the legality of fan games or the precarious C&Ds that float in from time-to-time and that's not the kind of discussion I want to see in the comments.

This thread is about educating new developers and new strategies we can take to make the more productive without trying to squash their creativity or passions. I know these posts tend to be nightmares and black holes of conversation, but I feel like this is a discussion that everyone should be involved in.

If you're reading this and you're an active developer for a fan game on the website, please please please post your opinions and views. I feel like the only way this conversation will ever truly be productive is by actually having game developers who are working on these projects in them. The more information you guys give us on your practices and design strategies and thought process when building the games, the better.

I know that threads like this are usually big, "TL;DR, we already know all of this" discussions, but fundamentally I don't think we've ever really had a true discussion about it. It's always devolved into "We need to get rid of fan games" or "We just need better quality games to set an example" without ever having any real discussion to back up how we could possible do that.

Setting a higher bar is not going to solve the issue until most games on BYOND become that standard and, quite frankly, that's not reasonable at this point. I feel like it would be easier to take the low-tier games and bounce how to educate developers into slowly raising their own standards. Fan games are super competitive with one another and when one starts doing something well, everyone else likes to jump on that bandwagon and copy them. While copying isn't really that much better, it's a step in the right direction and at least they would be copying better ideas than what's currently presented.

I don't know, maybe I'm soapboxing a bit, but I'm just really tired of hearing about fan games in such a negative light. It's a discussion that I don't think anyone really wants to have, but I feel like if we're ever going to get over this fan game = bad game mentality that we seem to have, it's one we need to talk about.
I read a few paragraphs in, thought I'd go ahead and link my Programming a Rip: How To topic, where I address some of these issues. I'll read the rest when I get home. I sent Ter a bunch of my thoughts on the matter after him and Yut had their first podcast
Well, the fact is that every single fangame in this community would disappear completely if someone made a good one.

So I think if you don't want to see the low-quality fangames around anymore, the only way to get rid of them completely is to nuke them from orbit by making a good one and releasing it for free without any monetization. Just make sure the source code never leaks, or we're back at square one.
In response to Ter13
I've truly thought about it in the past. Us and a handful of others easily have the skills to not only produce a quality RPG, but also use the IP in more clever ways than it's being used right now. But then again, we do have the gameplay-first mindset where as a lot of these new developers have the toxic IP-first mindset.

The only thing that stopped me in the past was whether it was really worth it or not. There's always the chance that a popular game like that would garnish a reputation with funimation or whomever and get C&D'd, but I think as long as it's serving a greater purpose, that won't really matter.

Hell, I would be less upset over rips if they were actually based on a good game. It would at least solve one of the problems the community has with them, then from there we can address the copy/paste problem.
So the final response I can make is don't despise a fan game cause its a fan game.

Someone didn't read the OP.
I really like that and I do enjoy how you took the smart approach with card programming. Since TCG grammar is very specific, it's designed to be completely black and white and unmistakable. That fact makes it very easy to write a text parser around the card grammar and have it function properly. That's actually one of the only reason card games work even work as video games, otherwise to hand-code a thousand cards would be completely ridiculous.

As far as your game goes, though, it kind of fits in that category of fan-games that are fairly niche and, in my opinion, really aren't part of any problems at large. There may be a few QA issues, but past that, it's mostly polish. That's one of the decent things about card games, once you have the rules of the game programmed, the rest is basically fluff and polish, which most games could stand for a new coat of paint anyways.

I'd really mostly like to hear from the people who program the fan game RPG's. That's really the area that could stand for the vast majority of improvements.
To be completely honest I've gone through "trying" to make original games and/or anime based rpg. It all doesn't matter without the knowledge or resources to make or obtain artwork. Some people have told me "Start with low quality art and go from there" how the hell is that going to work without having resources to upgrade to a higher quality pixel art. It's easy to tell someone links to "How to: Pixel Art", etc however some of us have tried and just don't have the talent no matter how we try.

Moral of the story it's easy to fall into the for example, "GOA rip" developer category for these reasons;

1. Enjoyable gameplay
2. Enjoyable player base
3. Enjoyable visuals

Artwork doesn't hold a candle to gameplay in terms of importance. Yes, it's good to have polish on your games, but only after you've actually made the game. The point of this thread has no bearing on the quality of artwork in fan games, hell, most games on BYOND have really shoddy artwork that's just as bad. The topic is about gameplay quality and ways we can either steer people away from making RPG's until they're far more experienced or steer developers into increasing the quality of the games they already have out.

I think Ter has a point that we're probably not going to get anywhere until someone makes a fan game that's a true game. Once people's games are being stomped on by a titan in the niche, people are either going to think twice about trying to compete in that niche or are going to get better at what they're already doing.

We would need someone or a group of people who are experienced game developer who can work collaboratively and produce the quality of game required, though. I personally think the Naruto franchise has a much better chance of actually having a setting that would facilitate a game like that with actually some level of questlines and story points. It definitely wouldn't be easy, though.
but where wud da site be without animu gaems

dey bring all da ppls
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
but where wud da site be without animu gaems

dey bring all da ppls

It would be a barren wasteland.
In response to EmpirezTeam
Wait nvm it would be a bunch of people rping ...
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Artwork doesn't hold a candle to gameplay in terms of importance. Yes, it's good to have polish on your games, but only after you've actually made the game. The point of this thread has no bearing on the quality of artwork in fan games, hell, most games on BYOND have really shoddy artwork that's just as bad. The topic is about gameplay quality and ways we can either steer people away from making RPG's until they're far more experienced or steer developers into increasing the quality of the games they already have out.

I think Ter has a point that we're probably not going to get anywhere until someone makes a fan game that's a true game. Once people's games are being stomped on by a titan in the niche, people are either going to think twice about trying to compete in that niche or are going to get better at what they're already doing.

We would need someone or a group of people who are experienced game developer who can work collaboratively and produce the quality of game required, though. I personally think the Naruto franchise has a much better chance of actually having a setting that would facilitate a game like that with actually some level of questlines and story points. It definitely wouldn't be easy, though.

Teh Governator already has this project in the wood works. We were talking about it the other night and I told him that he was so ahead of his time for that DBZ project of his that he has only needed to start working on it now! The concepts behind his project are solid and could easily topple the other DBZ games, creating this Titan you speak of.

That conversation really matches up with this thread in an interesting light as many of the same things are being said. His Project, Legend of the Dragonballs, has very solid concept and design around it that makes it unique and interesting (such as street fighter style fighting but overworld style exploring and other examples). I offered my help and even expressed interest in playing the project as I know it could easily be fun and conquer all of those other DBZ games on the hub right now.
Someone rang? =D

I'm considering getting back into the swing of things and pick up one of my oldest and favored projects. My old game "Legend Of The Dragonballs." I have a demo of the new battle system I'll be utilizing. It's not polished. Just an idea of what is to come. I would enjoy feed back or suggestions for features.

http://files.byondhome.com/TehGovernator/demo/lotd_test.zip
My reasoning to do fan games is quite simple Ter even mentioned it before. Its less thinking one has to do. I've actually tried multiple original games on my other key ImmeasurableHate, and probably on this one to. But ever since I started this DBZ game I have never quit it I always stay motivated.

I don't know if this is on topic or not since I only skimmed through each paragraph, it was a lot to read and I did just wake up like 10 mins ago lol.
tl;dr

There's really nothing wrong with making an RPG but by your standards the RPG genre has been dead since... forever really. The acclaimed RPGs get away with it because they're open world or the people playing it played it when they were young.

World of Warcraft? Just a titan in the industry
Runescape? Accessible before WoW went free. Built up its fanbase from there
Skyrim? You can walk towards an objective and wind up completing 20 dungeons on the way and forget what you were walking for.
Final Fantasy 7? Nostalgia, the game itself isn't that great by RPG standards.

Really when you say you want to "fix" fangames, you're saying that you want high quality fangames. High quality depends on your definition of quality, and fangames themselves aren't broken. Though I find it odd that you're complaining about all of the RPG fangames when the entire $#!ing front page is RPG. #JustSaiyan
Alright so while I do agree with Ter, and have heard similar to what Ganite had to say for reasoning behind making a fan game countless times; there is one thing I want to throw out first and foremost.

BYOND by default is built more toward Action and RPG games, and that is the first thing I think needs to be addressed. You might think that's completely wrong because BYOND is capable of doing far more, but all of those things are through modification and addition of the base systems.

You cannot have a sidescroller, platformer, or game like street fighter without modifying the default, or using something other than the default movement system. You cannot create turn based combat without learning all about lists and/or datums and just a number of things from the reference and/or experience. This just goes on, and on.

Naturally, we cannot expect someone like Lummox to come in and spend time fixing this however. The only fix I know of is to create something like the DM Standard Library, or a series of them, that offer VERY basic frameworks for each genre then poster it everywhere. Get it linked on the BYOND front page if possible, or in the developers top listings. Spam threads and keywords about it, get it stickied, do whatever possible.

I know, I know there's no way to make a framework that covers anywhere near all the settings for a proper sidescroller, and so on, but even just the basic working concept will work. Modifying project specific needs can come to them later.

That's ultimately the first step to calming the use of RPG genre, in my opinion. A titan for fan games, and a titan for the genre are each also steps down the line. Just look at BYOND years ago, when there were games players considered bad ass in the yugioh category, more people wanted to make them, same with Bleach, and so on.

As Lugia pointed out, the front page is RPG's and RP games... So of course, everyone gravitates to them. Rips are also all built to be poorly made RPG's and RP games, so that too.

We have to systematically break the standard, and get in to peoples heads if we want to change anything.
In response to Lugia319
Your tl;dr was too long.

Are you just a Byond troll? You don't seem to understand what these people are describing and I agree with them.

When someone comes to Byond, the first thing they want to do is start a massive ORPG ...but that is the most difficult project for a beginner to start and it is a hefty one at that. That has killed more potential projects and developers than anything else. The amount of work involved in RPG's is more than one person should handle. Byond is better when people make simple games with simple concepts. The bigger the project, the bigger the undertaking, the more likely it is to fail or never be released at all.
In response to Deviant Coder:
You cannot define what others games will be like, because you don't know. Like I've explained before, not everyone is a programmer and not everyone is a designer, or artist. It takes a collaborative effort and one person can only do so much on their own. Byond implies that people can make their own game, but not everyone has the same capabilities.

*EXPECTING* people to learn how to program from scratch is not very welcoming. I've been trying to explain that to this community for a decade+. It only makes it worse that those who can program turn into self-righteous jerks and then expect everyone to do the same as them.

Sorry, but when I see Kats and others talking about matrices/etc, I understand what they are speaking of, but I cannot program from scratch at that calibre. Not everyone should be expected to be able to do so (even though the possibility is always there for anyone to do anything, there are indeed different mind sets and different sides of the brain that function differently for everyone.) Some use the left side more, some use the right side more. This really has an impact on what kind of work you can do successfully. I can do a little bit of everything but am not the best at them all. This means that I need some assistance where I can get it but for the most part can accomplish what I want, which is what Byond is for.

Subjectively implying that because you can program, so should everyone else, is naive to say the least.
but I cannot program from scratch at that calibre.

"Cannot am not interested in taking the time to learn."

Subjectively implying that because you can program, so should everyone else

That's not what they are saying at all.
In response to Ter13
Thanks for disregarding my statements and cutting out some meaningless out of context sentence and trying to use it against me even though you miss my entire point (and probably didn't even read it).
People use different parts of their brain. I don't have time to commit to learning programming at that advanced level (especially when I suck at math and am more of a graphics person, it is like asking a car guy to become a computer guy and vice versa) and the absolute truth is not everyone has the same capabilities. If you had read my post you would of understood that I shared this but clearly you just want to get the "gotcha" comment and don't care about the meaning of my post at all.
Gee, thanks.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6