There is nothing to fix, make better games and people will play them. Fangames or nonfan games if the games you make are really good the people will come and play them.
BYOND - The only place people will complain about the very things that brought them there. Buncha ingrates.
Hmm. Good point. Well, something I hear a lot is that many people, especially players, don't read the forums, That would mean a lot of the fan game makers probably don't see much around here either except developer help, source code, etc.

So then, what if some kind of 'source' were released that were an actual framework these types of games could use, and not only was it done well but a file or two in it contained all sorts of useful info they otherwise would never see?

Could be information about the process, such as doing meta, etc. Could be links to threads they should read. All sorts of things. Then with that file there, sooner or later some may just read it.

The only problem there is marketing and advertising. Gotta make sure the intended audience actually sees it, even though they likely tend to just google DBZ source, or search source code on the forum, etc.
In response to Lugia319
Ikr. This BYOND drama its so laughtable its almost sad. There are millions of games out there that are bad and people play them you can't tell people what they should be playing and what they shoudnt or what they should be using or what they shoudnt, like who you think you are telling people this? Get over yourself:), people can choice to play whatever they want to play. If you want your games to be Popular then make good games. And don't understimate People they have brains and can think for themselfs on what to do and how to do it.
Note: Not directed to Lugia.
The fangame community isn't reading this thread at all. Even if they were, they'd say their games are fine (they are). They simply don't care. Why should you care about someone else's game? Live and let live. Ommmmmmm
Zasif, Lugia, if you don't plan on being productive with the conversation, would you please see your ways out of my thread? I think I made it pretty clear that I wasn't about to tolerate shitposting.

Lugia, not everyone came here because of fan games. Just because you did, doesn't mean everyone else followed the same path. I wasn't, for example.

Zasif, you're probably the worst one. You know your design practices are garbage yet you simply don't care. You know your game is crap but so long as it drones people in and they keep hitting that donate button, I guess a shitty game doesn't really matter, right?
In response to Kats
I'd be willing to wager that most of BYOND's current community with the exception of SS13 came here because of fan games. SS13 gets a pass because it was advertised on a 4chan board. Only reason.

As long as people are playing these games, I really don't see the issue. Fan games on the whole are more popular than non fan games. The only popular non fan game is SS13, which, again, only popular because of 4chan. If your issue is with these fan games having low quality, might I suggest you take it to those communities? Because if you haven't noticed, this is the same circle jerk that always happens and it's not even reaching what is probably your target audience (the fan game managers).

I'll present this question once more. If fan games are so bad, why are they the most popular category of games on this site?
I came here because I wanted to make games. I can't be the only one.
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
If fan games are so bad, why are they the most popular category of games on this site?

Because the people playing them aren't really playing them. They're there because of the interaction and community. It has nothing to do with the gameplay. They're capable of sitting in one spot, training their stats into oblivion and chatting with other people. Maybe every once in a while they might stop training once they hit level 2.385710504e12 and go punch someone "for teh lulz" and watch them insta-die, but other than that, the amount of people who find the gameplay itself engaging is very slim. People are there because other people are there.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
I came here because I wanted to make games. I can't be the only one.

This
Fan games can be fixed if self train wasn't an option.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:
If fan games are so bad, why are they the most popular category of games on this site?

Because the people playing them aren't really playing them. They're there because of the interaction and community. It has nothing to do with the gameplay. They're capable of sitting in one spot, training their stats into oblivion and chatting with other people. Maybe every once in a while they might stop training once they hit level 2.385710504e12 and go punch someone "for teh lulz" and watch them insta-die, but other than that, the amount of people who find the gameplay itself engaging is very slim. People are there because other people are there.

Honestly I find this false. I joined dragon ki and instantly logged off, the players aren't playing because people are there. They're playing it because that's what they want to play. A casual game with no challenges.
In response to Kats
Kats wrote:
Lugia319 wrote:

I find nothing wrong with this statement thats exactly why they are there, so what exactly is your problem? Why do you care if those people have fun that way? Why do you care if that category its not really your Audience? Why does it bother you so much, that you insist on going on with this nonsense.
In response to Zasif
It bothers me that those programs are even referred to as "games" and attempt to demand the same treatment as any other game. If you want to run a chat room, that's awesome. If you want to run one that's DBZ themed, more power to you, but when you use terrible mechanics, poor gameplay and outright lazy design and want to call it a game, that's where critics get to step in and tell you what's wrong with it.

If you stopped feeding the status quo and actually acknowledged that your game could be better, then progress could actually be made. The problem is when you pretend that what you had is just as good as anything else. It's outright false and only makes you, as the developer, seem oblivious to it. Think about how many players you would have if your game were actually a game?
In response to Kats
What are you on about? Its like your off topic on anything I reply, when did I ever say that my game is better then anyone elses game. Whats up with all those assumptions. I've never seen anyone say anything like that ever related to the fangames, this is all assumptions by you. All I can tell you is you should get over yourself, because your really not helping the situation your in.
I feel like this discussion has gone as productive as it's ever going to be, so with that, I'm going to be requesting the thread be locked to prevent a devolution into flaming and trolling. Thank you to anyone who participated constructively. I feel like with this I have a better idea of some proactive steps that can be taken to make sure that future developers don't fall into the same traps.
In response to Kats
Do you even see how hypocrite the comment you just made is?

#GetOverYourself.
Meh can't be helped even my game still gets treated as if it where a Zeta rip. Thats BYOND for you.
In response to Ganite
To be fair, your game is hardly up, so it's difficult for me to get on and see just what it does differently and if it's truly any better than the current crop.
In response to Kats
Its been up a few times this past week next time it goes up I'll let you come try.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6