ID:1935333

(See the best response by Super Saiyan X.)
One thing I've always experienced when using controller systems with the arrow keys, is that the combination NORTH+WEST has never worked correctly; attempting to combine the two keys result in you moving only in one of those directions, while the rest of the keys work as expected. This issue makes it difficult to play games (assuming diagonals play a prominent role in gameplay) that only allow you to use combination keys since you're gimped on your left side. (@Ganite: If you're reading this, this is what I was trying to explain to you the other day on DVO when I suggested you allow regular diagonal keys.)

I recall some time ago that this was an issue related to Windows, and last I checked this is accurate, as attempting the same thing on my ancient mac (through the webclient) gets the expected results. I haven't been able to find a reason why this an issue though, no matter what I searched on Google.

There is a workaround to this however, and that's to not use the arrow keys and instead use a scheme such as WASD. However, that's not what I want; the arrow keys is a must as a default movement scheme in my case while WASD will be an alternative scheme.

So my question is, is anyone aware of any possible workarounds, fixes, etc. that remains true to the arrow key scheme?

Thanks for reading and appreciate any assistance.
May it be possible to program that affect?
I don't really know much about the windows problem, but I do know that if your keyboard doesn't support ghosting you won't be able to hit more than one key anyhow.
In response to AERProductions
AERProductions wrote:
May it be possible to program that affect?
I don't really know much about the windows problem, but I do know that if your keyboard doesn't support ghosting you won't be able to hit more than one key anyhow.

Nothing I've tried has worked, I'm guessing because the issue is beyond Byond and is an OS-specific problem.
Best response
In response to Super Saiyan X
So I have to get a new, specific keyboard if I am to use the arrow keys without problem... And I can only imagine how many others would have to do the same. I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Appreciate the information.
In response to FKI
I had already given you the answer, you just didn't search it up like SSX did. :)
Not exactly; my issue is in the specific hardware I'm using and the fact that it doesn't support the key combination in question. SSX's second link brought that to light.
I'm surprised that a combination of arrow keys doesn't work, honestly. It's seems like that'd be something a keyboard manufacturer would optimize for in today's market.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
I'm surprised that a combination of arrow keys doesn't work, honestly. It's seems like that'd be something a keyboard manufacturer would optimize for in today's market.

Exactly this!

But on the other hand, my keyboard is wireless and was a gift on the relatively cheap side I believe, so I have both of those working against me.

I've had it for a while now but it is probably time to upgrade, so it's all good. In the meantime, regular diagonal keys will suffice.
In response to FKI
Ghosting is what N-key roll-over is. Just because you wouldn't put the effort into figuring that out or asking me doesn't mean I didn't answer it first.

I don't care, glad you have the knowledge now.
AERProductions wrote:
Ghosting is what N-key roll-over is. Just because you wouldn't put the effort into figuring that out or asking me doesn't mean I didn't answer it first.

I don't care, glad you have the knowledge now.

I don't understand why you (and just about the majority of everyone else who frequents this forum) feel the need to become confrontational over something so trivial.

This will be my last response for your own sake, as you don't seem to be understanding the problem.

From SSX's second link:
Note: Although this is how the term anti-ghosting is usually used, ghosting on a keyboard actually refers to something else. "Ghosting is when you press two keys on the keyboard, and a 3rd key - which you didn't press - gets sent to the PC as well. This is very rarely seen on even the cheapest modern boards, because manufacturers have the habit of limiting the rollover so that ghost keys are always blocked." -Overclock.net Forums

That wasn't and isn't the issue here, it's my hardware and the fact that I need to upgrade. Plain and simple as that.

I care not who chimed in first, that is for the petty. SSX led me to the right source of information, as that link thoroughly explained that different hardware are optimized for different key combinations. It just so happens mine supports every arrow key combination except NORTH + WEST.

And for the record, when I initially responded to your post, your edit was not there, but was injected after the fact. SSX had already posted what I was looking for, so there was no need for me to revise my post.

Best wishes to you.
This is ridiculous.
Well, since you are making me respond, I will. I did not edit my post.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1935333#comment16717463
See, no edit notification.

I'm not being confrontation, I just refuse to be implicated as being wrong. No matter the situation, that is just how I am.

Teach a man to fish...
And just to show good faith I'll even upvote SSX for you, have fun!