ID:193630

unlike my last post where i was expressing myself ,this question is about icon making. Do you guys use microsoft paint when you make icons? Or do you do something else? I am wondering.

-Homes
Most of us use the built in icon maker for dream maker, it's a very powerful tool.
Homes123 wrote:
unlike my last post where i was expressing myself ,this question is about icon making. Do you guys use microsoft paint when you make icons? Or do you do something else? I am wondering.

Microsoft Paint is a misnomer. I find it to be as savvy an art tool as a box of six chewed-up crayons.

I use Paint Shop Pro, or for BYOND icons I often just use the editor built into Dream Maker. Many of course use tools besides these as well, like rendering programs; I've toyed a bit with camera angles in Poser that may eventually help develop good icons for an RPG, provided I ever do one.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Homes123 wrote:

Microsoft Paint is a misnomer. I find it to be as savvy an art tool as a box of six chewed-up crayons.

Be fair. It's every bit as good as the built-in editor, except without any of the functions that make the built-in editor worthwhile to use versus an external, medium-to-high-end graphics program.
In response to Lummox JR
I use the built in Icon editor, and PSP as well. Still honing my drawing skills though(Ahem...)

Alathon
In response to Leftley
Leftley wrote:
Be fair. It's every bit as good as the built-in editor, except without any of the functions that make the built-in editor worthwhile to use versus an external, medium-to-high-end graphics program.

Paint is a 16-color program that never graduated beyond that, making it wholly inadequate to draw anything worth drawing. Its sustained complete lack of decent functionality would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

Lummox JR
Thanks for the imput guys. This is helpful cuz i am trying to learn how to make something. Even a shit icon would be a start with the artistic ability i have.

-HOMES
In response to Lummox JR
Paint is a 16-color program that never graduated beyond that, making it wholly inadequate to draw anything worth drawing. Its sustained complete lack of decent functionality would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

There is one thing Paint is very good for: unlike PSP, it lets you see what a straight line will look like before you choose the endpoint. In PSP, you choose the endpoints and then find out what you've done (and then hit ctrl-z and try again). PSP almost always leaves out the last pixel of the line, too. Infuriating.
In response to Gughunter
I think some of the recent versions to PSP have added a few new bugs, like that, and some others. Hopefully that'll be back out in a few more versions.