ID:1936351

I was wondering how i should implement critical hit / critical damage, and i started thinking about it and decided to post what i came up with and why i decided to choose it.

I know that intro is terrible but bear with me this is my first time posting in this part of the forum.

So my brother Ryan joined the military and know a little of hand 2 hand combat and taught me some of what he knew (And i took a bit of karate classes younger). And i would often be he sparring partner, and during our spars we would aim for vital points though those are usually our well guarded areas.

Now looking at video games critical hits are completely based on chance, and that's kind of odd to me why is critical hits completely random?

There are some games where critical hits arent random for example fps games use the head as the area that does most damage or it's the weakest part of the person and thus makes the person take more damage. (Though some games have lowered that area by having helmets on.

Lets take a look at rpgs. Some of the more well known rpgs have an armor system where the player can wear helmet, tunics, pants, and shoes. So how is it you're able to land a critical hit on someone in full metal armor? You aim for the weak points the chinks in the armor (Or aim for the eye holes in the helmet). More than likely opponents would be aware of their weaknesses and create a fighting style that can defend their weak points as well as attack the opponent back.

Now some critical hit systems (Though havent actually looked at the code for one) go off of a percent based system

i.e. nng(Naruto next generation) has critical strike % and critical strike defense %. In this system you can increase your critical strike % by increasing speed and int, and you can increase critical strike defense by increasing speed.

My yuki has about 59% critical strike % meaning it would have a 59% chance when it lands a hit to deal a critical hit.

But why? If you know of an enemies weak point shouldnt you be focusing on that point the most to deal the most damage? And how would you even know of the enemies weak point if you havent fought it before and discovered it?

So here's an idea i came up with for this little thought. Weak point discovery.

My game is a pve game so some bosses will be quite large and take up multiple tiles so i can actually add this in.

So the idea was that you would fight the boss attacking it in multiple areas and the closer you get to the weakpoint of the boss the more damage you will deal and once you hit the tile that is their weak point you will discover it, and it will be saved to weakpoints you know of for that specific boss or race of enemy. Just like the head of enemies in fps games :D.

But there is more to weakpoint discovery than just dealing more damage on that one specific area. The first hit you land on an enemies weakpoint will have the strongest effect. For example if you're fighting a random guy and you kick them in the nuts they will be stunned from the shock and pain, but afterwards will be prepared and kicking them in the nutz again won't have the same effect (Though im sure there are some people who don't even feel getting their balls smashed in or have marbles of steel). So the first hit on an enemies weakpoint will stun the enemy slightly.

Next thing to weakpoint discovery you probably won't understand since i plan to use a very very strange aggro system is that if you hit the boss you will gain double the aggro counters which means you will be higher on the list of enemies the boss consider's a priority.

So the weakpoint discovery would be more based on skill and less on chance, but now there's a problem without critical hits being based on chance that eliminates the need for me to have a precision stat(Or speed if we're still basing some of this off of naruto next generation instead of the game i plan to make :c) that increases critical strike rates. Well here's my solution to the problem make your speed or precision stat increase your damage similar to how strength increases your damage but it increases your damage on weakpoints as well.

i.e.

Say my character has 1 str
and my friend has a character that has 1 precision.

When i attack a boss's face with my char. it would deal 2 damage.
When my friend attack's a boss's face it would deal 1 damage.
When i attack a boss's weak point it would deal 6 damage
When my friend attack's a boss's weak point it would deal 8 damage. (Note: Damage after the first weak point hit)

(Note: If i have 0 str i would deal 1 damage)

That way i can have my precision stat stay relevant, and allow people to try a build using precision as the main stat instead of str.

Hope this little thought of mines have helped at least some people <3. I'm also very curious on what you guys think of this, and arent annoyed that i didnt post any code/program on here. (I'm still learning Dx)
Critical Hits are one of those mechanics that abstracts your characters ability to land strikes in the weak points vs the enemy's ability to guard them. In some games, enemy's might have critical hit reduction, meaning they're better at deflecting critical hits.

Hit Points fall under this same method of abstraction because when someone gets stronger, they're not simply able to take more punishment, they're simply better at mitigating the damage that is dealt to them by redirecting it, blocking or any other method of reducing incoming punishment. Someone adept in hand-to-hand combat for example might know how to deflect punches and kicks and how to take them in certain parts of the body to cause minimal damage.

For this reason, a lot of tabletop RPG's use overall weapon skill for determining how effective you can block and deal damage. A sword, for example, is just about as important as a shield might be when used correctly. It's a very effective defensive weapon through parry and counter attacking.

Now, this has little relation to gaming in most video RPG's, that is. So let's talk about that point for a bit. In most games, some classes are built for sustained damage (DPS) and others might be built better for burst, dealing huge amounts of damage in a short period of time but their sustained damage drops off significantly once their burst phase is over.

Critical hits are not necessary, and truthfully they're a bit of an off-and-on sort of utility as well. Crit Chance in games is just that, a chance. It really fluctuates depending on luck. A player might build a character with a 50% crit chance, which, theoretically, if critical hits deal 2x damage, they deal 50% more damage on average, but sometimes the RNG might love or hate them. You might attack 10 times and only get 2 critical hits. If most of your damage relies on critical hits, then you're far less effective than any other class of your level. It just makes them very inconsistent which is generally not something you want in most multiplayer games.
I say good idea. It's your game, go for it.