ID:1937763

As planned, the first beta release for 509 is up. A ton of new features come with it, and a few important bug fixes to boot.

Since my last update, I've snuck in a few extra features. client.color has been implemented, which lets you cast a color or color matrix over your entire map. It doesn't do secondary maps. There's an appearance_flags value, NO_CLIENT_COLOR, that can make an atom/image/overlay immune to the effect (good for HUDs), and that flag is inherited from the base atom. I know I said last time that felt tacky, but in hindsight it was really the only way to do it.

The client can be animated. It only supports pixel_x/y/z and color at present, as there's no client.transform (yet?) and a number of other appearance values simply don't matter. The pixel offsets will not cause the map's "overflow" bounds to expand, so don't expect you can use this to zoom across the world, but it can still manage a lot of cool effects for you--like a quick shake.

Have fun with this gem as you write your next Halloween-themed game:
animate(client, color=list(6,0,0, 0,5,0, 0,0,7.5, 1.2,1,1.5), time=0)
animate(color=null, easing=BOUNCE_EASING, time=2.5)

The animate() proc now has a flags parameter, and two new flags have been defined: ANIMATION_END_NOW which doesn't bother with transitioning away from the old mid-animation state if any, and ANIMATION_LINEAR_TRANSFORM which forces transform matrices to use linear interpolation instead of separating out the rotation. I foresee that this argument could have other uses in the future, including the possibility of eventually being used to support parallel animations--vars changing with different timing and easing than other vars.

While I was at it, I fixed a few webclient bugs, and this week a few bugs in Dream Daemon and Dream Seeker got fixed as well.

GiaD 2015 is coming up! Put this newfound awesomeness to good use, and please don't forget to donate or become a Member if you haven't already. And hey, this is a good time to get your friends involved in BYOND too.
Gunna have so much fun with client.color -3-
This makes me all tingly inside. Keep up the good work!
Ohhh how I cannot wait to play with this A LOT. I'm going to have to get another BYOND Membership soon just for all these bad ass updates.

Nice thread title, too! Haha
Muh wish list be liek

List["Cake"]:Eat()

var string = "Kozuma3"
world << string[4] //outputs u
world << string.upper()
world << string.lower()
world << "Kitty"[5] //outputs y

Q-Q
If you could please fix the large icons disappearing from your view, I would forever be in your debt.
So I've been patiently waiting for gifs because idunno what a color matrix is. Hintity hint hint.
In response to Exentriks Gaming
I second this!
I third this?

Amazing work, Lummox! :)
Exentriks Gaming wrote:
If you could please fix the large icons disappearing from your view, I would forever be in your debt.

This is literally my biggest problem right now.

Fourthed

I'm liking this update already.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
Exentriks Gaming wrote:

This is literally my biggest problem right now.

Fourthed

plz
i keep getting hassled by this
In response to Tobba
This is awesome! Can you post a snippet of the code you used to make this? I'm in the same boat as Kumorii.
F U C K

Y E A H
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
So I've been patiently waiting for gifs because idunno what a color matrix is. Hintity hint hint.

This uses the color inversion matrix given in the Reference entry for icon.MapColors():

(I'm guessing the camera shift is a bug)
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
[img]

That looks beautiful q.q
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Kumorii wrote:

This uses the color inversion matrix given in the Reference entry for icon.MapColors():

(I'm guessing the camera shift is a bug)

Not as awesome as animate, but still awesome!
Based on a conversation I was having with Tobba, I should probably clarify something in the reference. Color matrices are applied before blend_mode, but before they can be drawn to the map, they're always clipped to the normal 0-255 color range for each component. (That's a limitation of hardware mode and software mode alike, and it's not something I'll ever be able to change.) So you can't, for instance, use a matrix to boost the color values on an overlay that has BLEND_MULTIPLY so that it enriches the colors under it. I think it'd be awesome if that were possible, but it can't really work that way for a lot of reasons.
good work lummox and keep up with the good work
Can we get some info about compatibility with respects to clients (506-508) when running 509 on the server and using these new features?
Page: 1 2 3