ID:1938238

Hello,

I wanted to create this post to ask for some assistance from any capable programmers who'd be interested in helping bring Pondera out of the dark ages.
Currently I am using an Interface for the skin/controls, Statpanels for the inventory/commands and Inputs for the building.

I would really like to utilize some of the newer features of byond and clean up some of these old functions that are more cumbersome than they are worth. I figure if I leave it the way it is and release it, that it will be something that brings down the overall functionality of my project.

If anyone is interested in assisting the replacement of these functions I will happily provide early testing access so that we can test and replace the functions. By replacing these, Pondera will also be able to use the webclient more fluidly than with them.

I can provide any snippets or access that is required to facilitate this change.
Any help at all will be greatly appreciated. Even if it is just you helping me to do it on my own (currently I think it is out of my scope and such drastic changes that my mind is putting a mental block on it).

The interface would be kind of tough to replace since it pretty much provides the majority of the controls and layout/stats.
The Statpanels probably wouldn't be too difficult to replace, simply replace them with an onscreen hud inventory or something else.
The Inputs might be a pain to do as well but mostly because I don't really know what to replace them with or where to start. I noticed a browser window in one of FA's library demos that would work but connecting it all and providing different browser displays for the different build styles might take more than I have got in me. The lazy side of me is saying that I shouldn't change anything, but of course the side that always likes improving knows that there is definitely room for improvement.

How should I proceed? Any thoughts?
My thoughts:
I mostly stuck with these old methods because I never liked the on-screen object lag (or obj count) from on-screen huds. I made the interface when interfaces were *new* but they soon got replaced when the webclient was released (nobody wants an interface on the webclient and I agree it just doesn't work that well and takes up all of the viewing room). The input menus are just from the build code that I utilized from a really old project (talking decade+ old) and never got around to changing them because I honestly don't know how to change them to anything else. The programming in my project makes me want to cry. ;-;