ID:193935

I want anyone to reply to this, which out of the games on BYOND is the best RPG(do not mention any DBZ games, all of those are the same).
Oblivian wrote:
I want anyone to reply to this, which out of the games on BYOND is the best RPG(do not mention any DBZ games, all of those are the same).

actually I have found 0 rpg games on byond. All games that say they are rpg have NO rpg elements that I've seen, they have no story (they say their story but nothing has to do with it), No plot, Not even a classic "evil dude that wants to take over world" theme, nothing. The main word in rpg is Role Playing, in other words you take control of someones life in the game set out to accomplish some sort of goal, todays meaning of rpg is hack and slah all monsters and have a blast out of it. Some these games include that are in rpg and are not supposed to be is: dbz eternal "no story, plot, evil villian", Dragon Ball GT: Genesis "no story, ect.", morte "so far, I have not seen any story or anything that has to do with a story", CPA "again no story, evil villian, blah blah blah", ect. While others think otherwise, so far I have not seen any game really worthy of being called a rpg, none of my own are. by the way add a new section in the games listing, "simulation" so that way all the games like lifestory should go to.
In response to Geo
Not even a classic "evil dude that wants to take over world" theme, nothing.

Thats not true at all.
Even Dragon Warrior Online has an "evil dude that wants to take over [the] world". It is an RPG as much as any console game is.
Morte is an RPG, although its not up at the moment.
Eternal World, while not up very often, is also an RPG.
PETz says its an RPG, but I haven't played it. From what I know about it, it sounds that way.
There are gobs of others (LexyMUD, Cerulea, Haven, etc.) in closed development/testing, too.

There are probably bunches of others that I've missed, too.

-AbyssDragon
In response to AbyssDragon
Geo wrote:
actually I have found 0 rpg games on byond. All games that >say they are rpg have NO rpg elements that I've seen, they >have no story (they say their story but nothing has to do >with it), No plot, Not even a classic "evil dude that >wants to take over world" theme, nothing. The main word in >rpg is Role Playing, in other words you take control of >someones life in the game set out to accomplish some sort >of goal, todays meaning of rpg is hack and slah all >monsters and have a blast out of it. Some these games >include that are in rpg and are not supposed to be is: dbz >eternal "no story, plot, evil villian", Dragon Ball GT: >Genesis "no story, ect.", morte "so far, I have not seen >any story or anything that has to do with a story", >CPA "again no story, evil villian, blah blah blah", ect. >While others think otherwise, so far I have not seen any >game really worthy of being called a rpg, none of my own >are. by the way add a new section in the games >listing, "simulation" so that way all the games like >lifestory should go to.

AbyssDragon wrote:

Thats not true at all.
Even Dragon Warrior Online has an "evil dude that wants to take over [the] world". It is an RPG as much as any console game is.
PETz says its an RPG, but I haven't played it. From what I know about it, it sounds that way.
There are gobs of others (LexyMUD, Cerulea, Haven, etc.) in closed development/testing, too.

-AbyssDragon

I think what Geo is saying is that there are no true RPG's, I mean Morte, and the other you mentioned does not follow a story. Most RPG's such as Zelda follow a unique story, with a unique set of monsters, or whatever its about. I have not played LexyMUd, Cerulea, or Haven. Anytime I am on they are down so.. But the ones up 24/7 are not true RPG's, in my opinion.
In response to Oblivian
That all depends what you consider Roleplaying. If roleplaying means you have to be a hero and save the world from something, byond will never have RPGs because not everyone can be the hero in a multiplayer game. If your idea of roleplaying is to make a character, and play their lives as best you can to try and make the world a more interesting place to be, then there are some.
AbyssDragon wrote:

Thats not true at all.

Really? I must've missed seeing the story besides retrieving that tablet in the first one.

Does it have a story? is the story a part of the game or does it follow the story?

No story yet that I've seen, but its good.

I havnt seen a main story but many little side quests

There are gobs of others (LexyMUD,

Not up, and I havnt seen the story when I was in a testing.

Cerulea

It hasnt been up since the early starting of byond

, Haven

never heard or played it.

, etc.) in closed development/testing, too.

Do they have a story that runs with the game? a plot?
In response to Foomer
If roleplaying means you have to be a hero and save the world from something, byond will never have RPGs because not everyone can be the hero in a multiplayer game.

One could always make a game that considered every trivial thing a danger to the world, and called upon a hero to save it.

"You're out of pancakes, the world is doomed! Off to the grocery store, brave hero, for the fate of the world rests in your hands!"

Come to think of it, that'd be a lot of fun. :-)

-AbyssDragon
In response to Geo
I do admit, most of those games appear to be lacking in plotline. But so are most MMORPGs, and a lot of MUDS.

Also, a lot of those games are still in development. In fact, all of them are. Its a little early to criticize them for lack of plot when they're just trying to get the game engine ironed out.

Really? I must've missed seeing the story besides retrieving that tablet in the first one.

Well, you just said all you wanted was an evil guy, and DWO does have that. Goes by Balzack, I believe. Doesn't have much else, as far as I can tell. But again, its also in development.

-AbyssDragon
In response to Geo
However, you have to be careful when you assume that all the current byond rpgs will remain how they are now. I see games like Morte having huge potential, and are already fun to play as they are-but most games on byond right now are still in the testing stages. It's kind of hard to write a story and program the game at the same time-it's much easier and more time efficient to get your game to do exactly what you want it to do, then use the engine that you have made to create a game with a story. This is pretty much what I'm doing with Dragon Warrior Online, and I'm assuming that most others are doing this as well.
In response to Oblivian

I think what Geo is saying is that there are no true RPG's, I mean Morte, and the other you mentioned does not follow a story. Most RPG's such as Zelda follow a unique story, with a unique set of monsters, or whatever its about. I have not played LexyMUd, Cerulea, or Haven. Anytime I am on they are down so.. But the ones up 24/7 are not true RPG's, in my opinion.

RPG stands for Role Playing Game which means your character serves some role in the game(although the definition by most peoples standards isn't so vague). Not all RPGs have one major goal or final bad guys. Any MMORPG isn't going to have a major plot. What happins if someone goes through the story and then beats the game while others have just started? What would the people just entering the game do?
I wonder if that would be a healthy way to get children to do things...
In response to Geo
If a game seems to be lacking a story, that means you haven't been spending enough time making one. As far as I know, most MMORPGs don't have support for a "plot". The best they can do is provide world history and do their best to keep players in line with it. For the most part, players need to rely on other players for a story, or in some cases admins who will make up things for the players to do. But there will never be any "plot" to follow unless the game follows a linear plotline in some kind of party setting.

Otherwise, it is too easy for another player to disrupt the plot of the first player. It's just not reasonable to expect a pre-provided story to follow. If you want a story, that means you've got to go create one!

(Actually, I've seen some muds with players, or sometimes Admin players who actually do a very good job of setting up their own plots. This works especially well if the game does not make all players start out in the same place. If they are divided into perhaps two huge cities, there are tons of plots that could be started by players from one city to the other...)

Okay, I'm half rambling here, so feel free to argue everything I just said.
In response to Oblivian
Oblivian wrote:

Zelda isn't classified as RPG. It's considered action adventure.

An RPG that forces you into a linear story is hardly an RPG in the sense that I play RPGs. The thing that makes a tabletop RPG so exciting is that it's so open ended. The Gamemaster has no idea how the players will react to the scenarios he puts forth. The interaction between gamemaster and players creates a unique story that none of them could have made on their own. The best part is that the players can shape the story!

With a linear story, the game never really reacts to your actions. No matter how you play or what you do, Aeris always dies at the same place in FFVII. I never considered Final Fantasy games "true" RPGs. (I'm not saying I didn't like them. I'm a big fan of the series.)

The nature of the true RPG seems to be clouded by the opinion of the player. It's easy for people to point out what they think isn't an RPG, but much harder to define exactly what is an RPG. For most people, RPG means an immersive fantasy that they can lose themselves in. It can be a predifined or custom made character. It can be traditional fantasy, space opera, or a modern setting. It can have a scripted storyline or be open-ended. As long as you forget for a short time that you are sitting at the keyboard of your computer and feel like you are in the world of the game, that is immersive fantasy.

From a technical definition of role playing, almost any game could be called an RPG. In Tanks, I take the role of a soldier in deadly combat. If I really get into the role and play up the character then I am role playing. If I pretend I'm Micheal Jordon on the basketball court, I'm role playing. (I wish I could match his skill rolls though ;)

Role playing isn't a style of game, it's a style of playing games.

(Heh, it seems I'm great at marking useless distinctions today in the forum.)
In response to Shadowdarke
Which is where the idea of "Roleplaying Enforced" games came from... If you're not there to play the style of a roleplayer, you won't be there for long.
In response to Geo
i have the answer to your bithing sir, the game i am making is going to be a good old rpg, kinda like D&D, serousliy... i mean it!... beleive me ! it is! come on... i mean it!

oh well.. i tried.

it may be somthing like everyone's favorite P&P rpg though, it will have different senarioes that you will have to assemble a group to solve puzzles and do quest for the town... and the local whore! i mean... the... um.. mayors wife..
In response to Flynn
Ah yes, D&D, one of the original sources of Sex and Violence.

::snort::

"Development"?... maybe. "Extensive use of time and tons of hype with no apparent results"?... Bingo. =|
In response to Spuzzum
I could have mentioned by RPG project. Which isn't so much in development as it is in work-on-it-until-bored-then-start-from-scratch-mode. Currently on version 4. The code's really clean this time, the graphics are better, but I haven't gotten very far yet.

-AbyssDragon
In response to Oblivian
I think what Geo is saying is that there are no true RPG's, I mean Morte, and the other you mentioned does not follow a story. Most RPG's such as Zelda follow a unique story, with a unique set of monsters, or whatever its about.

Negatory. Most Single-Player Console RPGs follow a story. And even with those, the story does not define the game, though to encourage people to play them solo it needs to have a good one. Multiple players cannot follow a strict story unless they are adhering to an objective -- and a story is unnecessary because the players can often write their own by their interactions.

What we are discussing here is the difference between linear RPGs, which console games tend to follow, and non-linear RPGs, which multiplayer games tend to follow.

Just because an RPG is non-linear does not mean it isn't an RPG. Otherwise, how can you call it a non-linear RPG?

I have not played LexyMUd, Cerulea, or Haven. Anytime I am on they are down so..

Haven hasn't been "up" since I started coding it over two years ago. =)

But the ones up 24/7 are not true RPG's, in my opinion.

Read Theodis' post. An RPG is a Roleplaying Game. It doesn't have to have a story, it has to have a role to fill. Does D&D have a story? No. The Dungeon Master makes one up to get people more involved. The real focus of D&D is playing as a character who ventures deep into dungeons.
In response to Spuzzum
See, it all matters on what you define RPGs...

For console RPGs, the story isnt what makes the game. The story is -only- a tool to allow you to take up the role of the char(s) in it. No story, and you dont have a reason to play from that char(s) perspective.

Online RPGs dont need a story to even accomlish that, at least in an ideal situation.. But in the real world, at least for online rpgs, too many people cant cast themselves in -any- role, cept for the 'lets go kill stuff, and steal thier phat l00t' players, so story is used, at least generaly, in online rpgs in order to encourage people to play something other then the powerleveling, powerlooting people.

One online rpg (not byond) that I think has gotten farther then any other in the aspect of a true comminity run story, is Nexus (http:\\nexustk.com). They have a history to the game, and yes -some- GM involvement in some aspects push -thier- story along, but if you play long enough (I had a level 98 char once, and thats concidered low in the game) and you discover that people start running thier chars not from a killing things perspective, but as a part of a world. Hell, my char wound up second in command of one of the major armies, became a diviner, faught in a war, then started her own army. Disputes between higher level players, for the most part, become done in role-playing, and not in 'Im gonna bash you hard'... -Each- roleplayer has thier own story, which interacts with other stories..

I wish I could make a game for byond that could pull that off ^_~ oh well, I can try *LOL*

Elorien
Page: 1 2