ID:194081

Hello to everyone who reads this! :o)

Alrighty, as some of you may know, I am pretty easy going, I have a sense of humor, and I am appreciative (and high on myself, it seems, hehe). BUT, I am getting really annoyed with the amount of boys on BYOND. No, I don't mean gender-wise! I love the opposite sex, but, I mean, pre-puberty-obsessed-with-sex children that invade BYOND... Every game I go into, I either get treated like gold, or I am immediately a reference to sexual instance or joke. I probably wouldn't care so much if it wasn't so in-your-face and unavoidable! Recently, when I went into Lexiconomy, and upon my presence, I was bombarded with words to define such as 'clitoris' (which was spelt wrong, by the way), 'vulva', etc...It's really frustrating to try and go into a game for fun and end up being extremely mad at the opposite sex in general. I have met alot of gallants on BYOND, you know who you are (thank you!), but, the majority are (WARNING: generalization alert!!) 12-year-old boys that should learn to be respectful to other people, you know who you are as well!

Also, I have encountered people who like to use obscentities (you know what they are! i don't have to give examples!) and when I kindly ask them to stop, some do (thank you!), but, the one's who don't: THINK! Some people don't like hearing (seeing in this case) swear words all the time! Try and be considerate for people's wishes and they (and many others too) will respect you. Usually, when someone doesn't find my request to be very crucial, it comes to the point where I have to leave the game! Now, I didn't name any names (believe me, I could have...) because I want to leave it to each of you, as indivduals, whether or not you are being considerate to the many different situations. To all the courteous people I have met on BYOND, you make it a better place. Thank you! :o)

Ashianna
You better not mean my Gender Bender Admin verb in my game cause you seem to find it funny :)
In response to Nadrew
On 8/6/01 10:30 pm Nadrew wrote:
You better not mean my Gender Bender Admin verb in my game cause you seem to find it funny :)

No, that's not what I mean at all....
Sadly, I'm betting a lot of the people that you're referring to aren't going to read this.
In response to Leftley
On 8/6/01 11:03 pm Leftley wrote:
Sadly, I'm betting a lot of the people that you're referring to aren't going to read this.

Awww! :o( It was worth a try...

Ashianna
In response to Ashianna
hey adriana there are some games with a filter system, I personally made mine when someone says qu**r or f*g etc, I have it say in return, I like guys, or I am an unintelligent bastard etc
In response to JonSnow13
On 8/7/01 12:37 am JonSnow13 wrote:
hey adriana

Ashianna. It's an alias, not her actual name. ;-)

there are some games with a filter system, I personally made mine when someone says qu**r or f*g etc, I have it say in return, I like guys, or I am an unintelligent bastard etc

Though your intentions are good, making them say "I like guys" does imply that saying "I like guys" is a bad thing. (No, I'm not a homosexual, but two people I know and trust are.)

Remember that the best way to discourage lewd behaviour is not through out-of-character means, but rather in-character punishments. Only if those punishments fail should one be submitted to out-of-character punishments.

My current process for The Haven Seed, my never-to-be-finished RPG/MUD:

I have all NPCs in my game triggered to call the guards if someone cusses (and other players may do the same). If the guards apprehend a cuss-announcer, the cusser is fined a hefty fee (a couple gold coins (gold is very rare in Haven)), or is locked in a dungeon if they can't afford it.

This makes players understand that when among company they know and trust, they may swear as desired. But if they start publically broadcasting obscenities, the guards will have a word with them.

If they fail to get the picture after losing weeks' worth of wealth earned from their professions, I'll take further action personally:

If a player continually made the game hard on other players, I would be forced to take the player aside and warn him personally about rude conduct.

After that, if they continued to break the rules, I would use in-game means to kill their character once, or otherwise cause some sort of moderate penalty to them.

Then, failing that, I use out-of-game means; I would delete their account and force them to start over from scratch.

If they still continued, I would ban them.
In response to Spuzzum
saying "I like guys" could mean they like the race men, just depends on how you take it, but usually when someone says one of those words they're using it in a derogative way :)
oh ya sorry about the name A..shhi...a... errr ya...
In response to Spuzzum

Remember that the best way to discourage lewd behaviour is not through out-of-character means, but rather in-character punishments. Only if those punishments fail should one be submitted to out-of-character punishments.

Hmm, my way is slightly more direct. If I see anyone swear or say anything too offensive while playing my game, I just ban them forever, no warnings or anything (when I'm in a banning mood, I have a message warn them when they enter). And its not just when I host they'll be banned, I just write it into the actual game to not let their key in.
In response to JonSnow13
but usually when someone says one of those words they're using it in a derogative way :)

Spuzzum's point is that your "retaliation" condones using such terms in a derogatory way. If saying "I like guys" is a punishment (for guys, presumably), then there must be something wrong with guys liking guys.
In response to LexyBitch
no i see why they call this forum babble...
i bet some one could start an rp in a post thats asking for help in here!
In response to Spuzzum
If they fail to get the picture after losing weeks' worth of wealth earned from their professions, I'll take further action personally:

If a player continually made the game hard on other players, I would be forced to take the player aside and warn him personally about rude conduct.

After that, if they continued to break the rules, I would use in-game means to kill their character once, or otherwise cause some sort of moderate penalty to them.

Then, failing that, I use out-of-game means; I would delete their account and force them to start over from scratch.

If they still continued, I would ban them.

Sounds good to me. I'll have something like this in Ensya, eventually, hopefully, once NPC guards actually exist, anyway.

For right now though I'll have to stick to banishing the offender to the locked dance floor of eternal seizures and bad music for the rest of the game.

Or I can just mute and blind them and that basically allow them to listen to the game and that's all.
In response to Foomer

For right now though I'll have to stick to banishing the offender to the locked dance floor of eternal seizures and bad music for the rest of the game.

LOL!!!!!!! remember when u locked me in the dance floor with the stobe light on? LOL! i didnt even do anything...u just tricked me... :(
In response to Sariat
On 8/7/01 12:48 pm Sariat wrote:

LOL!!!!!!! remember when u locked me in the dance floor with the stobe light on? LOL! i didnt even do anything...u just tricked me... :(

*sigh* Good times, Good times! LOL :oD
Hmm. Not sure exactly what to write, cept I agree.

Most of the people who are 12-14ish and making games on Byond (And other things (Muds etc) are immature people who dont really do anything but ask "How do I make a game where you have powerlevel, ki, and can fire ki attacks off".

Then once they have an attack verb, and chat/ooc/WorldTalk they proceed to spend the rest of the time making socials, or harassing players, or giving people temp gm who completely destroy the game by all of a sudden setting people, or deleting them. Again, not sure why im writing this, boredom does weird stuff to people.Also, just a question. Almost all of the DBZ muds seem to be the same except for a few changes, is there a released stock dbz code? (If so, please give me the name so I can proceed to smack the person repeatedly)
Guess im just hoping some of the good coders here will concentrate on one game (Ppl seem to be jumping around and releasing games and just trying new things(Which is ok, just would like to try a real good game, see how good you can make these games)). Running outta time, and gonna if anything make some more icons (I thought icons were boring to make even before doing the movement states, blegh)

Alathon, Just another n00b BYOND
In response to Alathon
Guess im just hoping some of the good coders here will concentrate on one game (Ppl seem to be jumping around and releasing games and just trying new things(Which is ok, just would like to try a real good game, see how good you can make these games)). Running outta time, and gonna if anything make some more icons (I thought icons were boring to make even before doing the movement states, blegh)

I have some pretty interesting things in store, which would create a whole designer community working on a single Roguelike/MUD project (much as Dan is trying to do with the BYOND Home chat system). Whether it will work in practice or just become a base source code for a bunch of programmers who include-and-forget files is too be seen, but I see good things coming from this.
In response to LexyBitch
it's not a punishment! it's just a filter.