ID:1941178

Resolved
The installer now properly updates DirectX files required for version 509, in case the user doesn't have them.
BYOND Version:509.1300
Operating System:Windows 10 Home
Web Browser:Chrome 45.0.2454.93
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
After installing 509.1300, I was unable to run DS. Compile/run from DM just silently failed, as did trying to connect to DD from the pager. Trying to open DS directly gave me an error alert stating that I was missing 'd3dx9_43.dll' I downloaded that .dll and put it in the byond/bin folder, and all works fine. Just wanted to let you know it had happened. I've obviously been using DS fine for ages, and it was working fine until I updated a few hours ago. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and still no go until I added the .dll.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
In other games?
In other user accounts?
On other computers?

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds:

Hrm, that's good to know. I might have to add it to our distribution list, or come up with some other solution.

The DirectX library we were linking with before was out of date, and I had to update it in the process of getting the new code to work. That's probably the issue. Out of curiosity, which other d3dx9_??.dll files did you already have?

That's whats in windows/system32
Out of curiosity, do you have an older system? I noticed on a newer system I had the right .dll already. I read that the full DirectX update program from Microsoft should install all missing DirectX .dll files.
Well, it's not a great laptop, but it's less than a year old. I did update to windows 10 not too long ago.
Hrm. Seems like that .dll really ought to be present then. That's annoying. I changed libraries specifically because the one I was using was outright broken, and the one I'm using now is directly from the Microsoft DirectX SDK.
I found some info here that might work:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ ee416805%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Looks like I'll have to do some work on the installer.
In response to Flick
Flick wrote:
Well, it's not a great laptop, but it's less than a year old. I did update to windows 10 not too long ago.

Exact same issue now. Is there a fix for it?
Or where can I get that dll? Can you send it to me?
Microsoft's DirectX redistributable would include it. Doing the DirectX updater should also install it for you.

I plan to include the necessary redist installer with the BYOND installer before 509 gets out of beta.
I tried all download links on microsoft's website but the links seems to have been replaced by the Windows 1O Download page for some reaosns... :(
If you just google search that .dll, you can download it from some .dll archive sites. Be careful obviously. Just dump it in your byond/bin folder.
In response to Kidpaddle45
Microsoft is ruining their OS and attempting to force people onto Win10 even though it is inferior in every way.

Since microsoft wants to hijack their own web links and redirect to the lame Win10 download, you must now download direct x from a website other than crummy microflop.

http://directx.en.softonic.com/
Getting this error running Windows 8.1 after installing the Beta version as well. ):
The solution is documented in this very thread. Please download the file from a good site. Eventually I'll build a DirectX redistributable into the installer.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When trying to run a .dmb file I receive the following error:

I know what I'm supposed to do, but not everyone is that fortunate... Ideally BYOND should detect during installation that DirectX is not installed and offer to install it.

Note that CTRL-R in Dream Maker does absolutely nothing and doesn't even show the above error, so I had to do some digging before I was able to figure out this machine didn't have DirectX 9 yet. (It has DirectX 11 though, so maybe BYOND could use that if it's available as an alternative solution?)

Expected Results:
DirectX should come pre-installed, or BYOND should fall back on the modern DX11 implementation.

Actual Results:
DirectX is not offered upon installation, leading to confusion why you can't seem to connect anywhere via the pager.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
So long as the user does not have DirectX 9 (which is an old version!) DreamSeeker will not run.
In other games?
Games run through pager will not show any errors (at least games run via Dream Maker through the pager), but if you try to run a .dmb file manually it does show an error.
In other user accounts?
The problem is global for the computer.
On other computers?
Depends if DirectX 9 is installed or not. IIRC it comes pre-installed on Windows XP? But AFAIK Windows 7 onward use DirectX 10 or higher so any modern system (read: OS currently supported by Microsoft) won't cut it.

When does the problem NOT occur?
The problem does not occur if you happen to have DirectX 9 installed when you installed BYOND, which is not a reasonable expectation to make in 2015, unless your target demographic already plays older games and/or have the technical know-how to get DirectX installed themselves.
In response to NullQuery
Turns out they made it more difficult to install the older DirectX libraries.

The "Download Center" on the Microsoft website was modified. They seem to have removed the ability to search for what you're looking for but instead added a big Windows 10 banner to encourage you to download.

When you do finally find what you think you need - namely the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" - upon clicking the download you're redirected to a page where you can download a Windows 10 ISO file instead. What?

Ultimately I needed this download:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/ details.aspx?id=8109

This is the "DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)" (which incidentally is also for re-packaging by developers, according to the download description)

It has to be extracted to a temporary folder (say C:\Temp or your desktop) and then you have to run a separate setup file to install the older DirectX libraries.

Once installed BYOND works fine, but the process to install DirectX has become so tedious that I'm going to press my luck with the webclient since it doesn't require this kind of knowledge.
In response to NullQuery
I'll be handling this issue before 509 goes out of beta.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The installer now properly updates DirectX files required for version 509, in case the user doesn't have them.